Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    That is the only reason I'd consider switching to GSM. Although I can swap phones on Sprint by calling CS and giving them the ESN.
    I was talking to a National Sprint Sales Manager, a contact of mine, a couple months back and he shared that Sprint is going to offer a Virtual SIM option. It has been planned since the launch of the G3 network. Basically, instead of your account being tied to a hardware SIM card, your account is assigned to your Network name (First.LastNumber@sprintpcs.com). So with a quick call into an automated menu or maybe a quick sms you can switch to any Sprintpcs phone as many times as you want to your hearts desire, without the fear of ever losing your SIM. The cool thing about this is that if your phone was stolen, there is no hardware SIM to worry about getting into the wrong hands.

I believe they were waiting for the EVDO to be launched so they can use some of that network's capabilities.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/25/2005 at 02:03 PM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    Talk about phone fanatics, you have got to be on the top of my list. I'm not sure whether I should worship you or feel sorry for you. When do you switch sims? Is there like a phone for work, social and bedroom?!!!

Still flabergasted (symptoms: shock factor, loss with words...then urge to reach for the bottle opener).
    Have you been on HoFo? There are people there with 5, 8, 10 phones!

I often switch SIMs just when I get bored and want to change. The RAZR has a permanent SIM(it's so cool!). The Treo will have a permanent SIM when I can manange to move my account over from Sprint. The MPX 220s are still being tested, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    juice you are misinformed. All the testers have stated over and over that it does in fact have wifi and a cam (verizon is removing the cam for the intial release - which annoys me a little).
    Engadget has pictures posted today appearing to show that the phone does have wifi.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000330044515/
  4.    #24  
    That is the only reason I'd consider switching to GSM. Although I can swap phones on Sprint by calling CS and giving them the ESN. When my son lost his, it only took a couple of minutes to switch his number to my old phone, and the same to switch back a couple of weeks later when he found it.

Honestly, though, I go through withdrawal if I'm out and about without my Treo. Even if I could switch a SIM between phones I'm not sure I'd be able to leave my Treo behind.
    With GSM you don't have to call anybody, that's the convenience.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I agree, I would love to have both platforms.....but not with two devices, but rather a Dual Boot device that would boot to either Palm Colbalt & WM2005 as I have programs I love on both OS's! With the dual boot, there would be a common database format compatible with both OS's so common info, i.e....contacts, emails, tasks, etc...can be accessed and edited no matter OS you have loaded.
    I have a sneaky feeling they would never allow that due to competition. If you allow multiple platforms on one phone, that's the end of exclusives, I would think. I don't know if either Palm or MS would like the fact that they now have to share the same phone. Don't they both want to force people to choose one or the other? I suspect they do.

I realize the realities of corp pandering, contracts, bullying around, etc.... It is just a dream phone that would be of benefit for the customer....but what does the customer really matter in today's corp world?
  7.    #27  
    You hit the nail on the head! They won't make anything that won't benefit them first. Customer needs, what customer needs? Bottom line is more like it!

I was talking to a National Sprint Sales Manager, a contact of mine, a couple months back and he shared that Sprint is going to offer a Virtual SIM option. It has been planned since the launch of the G3 network. Basically, instead of your account being tied to a hardware SIM card, your account is assigned to your Network name (First.LastNumber@sprintpcs.com). So with a quick call into an automated menu or maybe a quick sms you can switch to any Sprintpcs phone as many times as you want to your hearts desire, without the fear of ever losing your SIM. The cool thing about this is that if your phone was stolen, there is no hardware SIM to worry about getting into the wrong hands.

I believe they were waiting for the EVDO to be launched so they can use some of that network's capabilities.
    I really don't see how that will help people to switch cell network on the fly. I want to be able to use a local sim card when I get off the plane, not use different phones on the same network. Kind of like the pro and con of cash vs. credit card.

That's why I got a chinese-firmwired triband phone for my mom. She can understand the menu, use it in HK/China and pop in T-Mobile to go sim card when she comes back to U.S. in the summer.
    It would also have Treo form factor (without the antenna). But the keyboard would slide down for a PPC-660x size screen when needed and the OS would recognize what screen mode (or actually the screen would slide up to keep the weight at the bottom for easy balance for typing). That way those who like the small form factor have it and never have to slide it to a larger size for more screen real estate, while those who need the extra screen have it.

Now that would be cool!

If you want to see my complete Dream phone, click here:
    Have you seen this thread about the HTC Wizard and Galaxy? Its supposed to be the next generation I-Mate JAM aka O2 XDA II mini. Apparently fixes a lot of the flaws of the JAM.... i.e. slide out keyboard (landscape orientation), 128MB RAM, WiFi, megapixel camera. I might be interested since carry around tons of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF files and like to reference them from my PDA. Native PDF viewing is the main drawback with the Treo right now.
    That is the only reason I'd consider switching to GSM. Although I can swap phones on Sprint by calling CS and giving them the ESN. When my son lost his, it only took a couple of minutes to switch his number to my old phone, and the same to switch back a couple of weeks later when he found it.

Honestly, though, I go through withdrawal if I'm out and about without my Treo. Even if I could switch a SIM between phones I'm not sure I'd be able to leave my Treo behind.
    The CDMA standard specifies a technology called R-UIM that is the equivalent of SIM cards in the GSM arena. A number of carriers in Asia implement it, but none of the US carriers do.
    I love the Treo 650 and the only thing to make me switch is a Smartphone that does what it does + a flash for the camera.

Happy Memorial Day!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12