Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    Any more opinions on the JAM from JAM/Treo 650 owners? I have been considering the JAM. How does the JAM screen compare to the Treo 650? How well integrated is the phone application?
    I'm also one of the seemingly growing list of imate JAM -> Treo 650 switchers. Ahh, talk about a breath of fresh air. I don't regret the switch at all. I really love the Treo, for me it is leagues ahead of the JAM in terms of ease of use. WM2003SE is clunky and fiddly and far from elegant to use. You ALWAYS need to get the stylus out. To close down an app, you have to aim for a small 16x16 pixel area in the top right of the screen. Microsoft clearly had not thought one bit about single handed use.

As for the phone app, it is bollocks. Really bollocks. There are many many many holes in there that should have been done a lot better. Just one quick example. Receive an SMS from a number you don't have in your phonebook. Now, try to add that number to your contacts... you can't, you have to cut and paste manually. Terrible.

Hardware wise, well, it's a different matter. The JAM is a very sexy unit indeed. It's just the software side that lets an otherwise excellent package down. Surprisingly I felt that my ~300MHz Treo is faster than my ~400MHz JAM. As a phone, the Treo is leagues in front of the JAM. As a device for getting things done, again, the Treo is leagues in front. As a computer, I would give it to the JAM. If you like to fiddle and run DOS emulators and stuff, the JAM stands in front. I decided that I wanted something more function oriented and no nonsense, so that is why I switched and I don't regret it one bit.

IMHO

Zet
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650
    To close an app in WM 2003, you just need to hit the "okay" hard button....no aiming involved!
    I'm just wondering what happened to the lot of you when I was arguing the XDA II Mini vs Pocket PC case. My preference, as every frequent TreoCentral user would know, is the Treo. But I'm surviving on the Mini/Jam. I miss the keyboard integration so much though...its like getting my leg amputated and getting used to that.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Wow! I haven't seen this thread in a while...I don't come here as often now that I sold my other Treo 650 as well...

Now that I have had the Jam for two months I can say that I definitely made the right decision. This is what works best for me right now. As I have admitted before, I do miss the keyboard, yet I gained so many other things that it more than offsets the loss. If the Treo 650 was better at browsing the web, which is something I really love to do with my mobiles, I would still be using one. Not only was it very easy and fun to use, but I got a great deal done when using it.

The Jam has allowed me to steal the email trigger program from T-Mobile's iPaq 6315 and take advantage of their email triggers. I effectively have a push-like email setup now, something that I didn't have on the Treo 650 (I would have to have imap email and buy Chatter). I am able to record VERY clear voice memos without installing anything additional. Browsing the internet is actually fun on this device, whereas it was something I could do on the Treo but just didn't because it wasn't exactly enjoyable. Web pages look the way that they are supposed to look, and though I did buy a program to be able to do this, I do not have to touch the screen while browsing. Multi IE lets me go through the links just like on the Treo, use full screen mode, TABBED BROWSING, assign buttons to IE functions (back, forward, fullscreen, rotate screen, switch tabs...etc). This is why I am using the Jam.

As for getting work done, I am fortunate in the sense that I do not have to email a great deal. Were heavy email use to become necessary I would definitely move back to something with a keyboard. The internet browsing really is something I like for myself, not something that is necessary or lacking enough on the Treo that I couldn't use it.

I compare the Jam to my iPod. The iPod has alot of good points, but it doesn't have the best sound quality, nor the best EQ settings, nor are the headphones worth using, and getting songs between the player and computer (both ways) could be alot better. In the end though, the iPod is on top because something about it make people like it. It is just fun to use. That's what it comes down to with the Jam. There are things that people can point out that they don't like, and much like the iPod it comes down to me just wanting to use it...I like it and will keep it, whereas I was willing to give up the Treo.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    As for browsing, I wasn't overly impressed with any device short of the VGA Toshiba e800 I used to have. Now that's browsing When I went to the mini with QVGA it felt claustrophobic again and I stopped using my PDA for browsing again, but I will say that the version of IE in WM 2003SE was quite improved and is pretty good and single column rendering. I think it also supports frames.

As for Jam vs iPod, I started to try it for that purpose and even tried the pPod software that got taken off the market. The fact that it has those small sized headphone socket (like the Treo) and the fact that the socket is at the bottom of the unit (like the Treo) just didn't make it feel right ergenomically for me. I bought an iPod rather than trying to make the mini act like one. As such, I don't even consider using my treo for that purpose.

Also, the headphones that come with the mini can't even be taken seriously. The guys who decided on them and the folk who control packing them in the box mustn't be able keep a straight face.
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    To close an app in WM 2003, you just need to hit the "okay" hard button....no aiming involved!
    You mean the red hangup button? The green one certainly didn't do that. If you mean the red "bring the today screen to the front" button, then if you take a look in the task manager you might be entertained to see all your apps hanging around taking up ram. I did end up mapping PHM Keys (maybe you are referring to that) to map buttons to close etc. But still, the unit was hopeless for single handed navigation, you simply can't do it with them. You will, I repeat, will be aiming your stylus at small little areas of the screen to get anything done
    I had T600 and got the Jam. At the same time I got the T650 for my wife who had never had the smartphone before. I end up doing all the setup for the T650.

Cec - to answer your question - I can easily dial one-handed on the Jam by using the phone dialler app. It works like predictive text for SMS only it looks up names and addresses. Sending text messages with one hand is MUCH easier on the T650. No debate on this one.

Running apps off SD card is easier with Jam than T650.

The Jam is smaller than the T650 and the Jam look is funkier. The Jam screen seems better to me.

The keyboard on the T650 is still a major advantage but when HP or the Samsung 730 hit GSM then who knows.

my 2c worth.
    I have one statement to make regarding trading a Treo 650 for an iMate Ham. In the words of Mr. T, "I Pity the Fool!".
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    I had the Treo 600.....

--Switched to the Imate PDA2K and sold the 600.

---Then picked up an Imate JAM, upgraded it to 128 MB, and sold the PDA2K.

----Now I've got the Treo 650 and haven't used the JAM since getting it. Thinking I'll sell the JAM soon.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's funny, I'm going to sell one of my two Jams. I bought one with the upgraded memory and have decided to keep it, and sell or trade the other to get a PDA2k. Different things work better for different uses I guess.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12