Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was looking at the lifedrive and though, "Now that's a PDA!" I could have sold my Treo 650, moved back into my SE T68i, and gotten the Lifedrive and everything would have been A OK!... but then i hear of the short, internal batterylife, the thickness of it (thicher then our treos), and the lack of a camera (we all knew that this was not going to be included). I'll stick with my Treo with it's 1 gig card. I would love to see a Treo with a Hi Res+ screen some day, and a SOLID STATE hard drive inside, but i'll wait.

If Palm is going to make a lineup of this a la Tungsten handhelds I would like to see a Palm with wifi, bt, camera, and 128mb internal with TWO (2) SDIO slots. That could lower the price to the $300 range and could take def make some waves.

This is a good start. Hopefully like the Tungsten lineup this is the high end with the high tag price and will spawn mid level successful handhelds like the TE or the TE2.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    The LifeDrive is very impressive, but it's too late IMHO, it's before the Treo (execpt for some stuff). For me, it would have the same issue as all PDA's, I would have to carry two devices, LifeDrive and Phone. The Treo is almost perfect. I wish the Treo had a larger screen at times, but that's not possable in that form factor, small price to pay.

When and if the Treo gets a 5G harddrive and built in Wi-Fi, then it will be the cat's meow for me.

I just had a thought, how about the TreoTablet. A PDA type peice the size of a Visor Edge, that is a "slave unit" to the Treo (it could still do some stuff on it's own), it has a battery and a 16X9 screen (like the LifeDrives) and it links to your Treo via BT. You would keep the Treo in it's holster/case (or what have you), and the TreoTablet would be the screen, you could access all the stuff the treo has, but on a big screen, with a 1.5G harddrive or a SD slot, both as well as Wi-Fi too. The condutivity for the TreoTablet would be the Treo itself. You could send email and surf with the Treo doing the connections to the web wit the ISP your phone already has.

It would be used for the times that the LifeDrive would be practacicle, like at work doing documents, or at the Hospital as a Doctor.

The only down fall of the treo IMHO, is the samll screen during some activitys like an excell sheet or word doc, this would fix that. If I only need that at work, I could leave the TrepTablet at work and use it when I am there, so that way I sitll have 95% of what I need and a phone too.

Would probably not be cost effective or have a very large demand, but hey, I was just thinknig out loud here...
    that's what you have a pda with a large screen and bt DUN/FTP/OBEX for. i've got my ipaq with a 4 inch screen, multiple GB storage cards, wifi, bt, and full keyboard when i need. but i dont carry it with me everywhere...

also - has anyone noticed the lifedrive still runs OS5.x i mean please... if it ran cobalt i might have though of getting it, but then again it still wouldn't have the capability of my pocket pc.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I just had a thought, how about the TreoTablet. A PDA type peice the size of a Visor Edge, that is a "slave unit" to the Treo (it could still do some stuff on it's own), it has a battery and a 16X9 screen (like the LifeDrives) and it links to your Treo via BT. You would keep the Treo in it's holster/case (or what have you), and the TreoTablet would be the screen, you could access all the stuff the treo has, but on a big screen, with a 1.5G harddrive or a SD slot, both as well as Wi-Fi too. The condutivity for the TreoTablet would be the Treo itself. You could send email and surf with the Treo doing the connections to the web wit the ISP your phone already has.
    Ah yes, the Visor Edge... my fav (and last) PDA. That was a great handheld.

I have thought about your Treo Accesory but on a much smaller scale... I have liked the idea of the PalmOS watch (See Fossil) but with bluetooth built in. You could have alerts sent to the watch (email, sms, phone call notification, appointments), have limited datebook functionality, a PDA for your Treo basicly... The TreoTablet is also a good idea, I would like to have a larger screen sometimes to work on word docs, excel, and web pages...

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I've got to have the phone too. Could do without the camera, I rarely use, it.
    Please come out with a Treo LifeDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Ah yes, the Visor Edge... my fav (and last) PDA. That was a great handheld.

I have thought about your Treo Accesory but on a much smaller scale... I have liked the idea of the PalmOS watch (See Fossil) but with bluetooth built in. You could have alerts sent to the watch (email, sms, phone call notification, appointments), have limited datebook functionality, a PDA for your Treo basicly... The TreoTablet is also a good idea, I would like to have a larger screen sometimes to work on word docs, excel, and web pages...

Timmay
    Take the watch one step further, you could have the PDA/SMartphone in the house while doing yard work and when you got email or a call, the watch would tell you.
    This seems like a really bad idea - a hard reset renders the hard-drive wiped clean. How many times a week do you hard reset your Treo? Let me get this straight, all programs run from the hard-drive, so when you do a hard reset to get out of a loop, it has to erase the entire hard drive (per review BarginPDA).

So you reload your 3+ G.B. of data back onto the hard drive, but because the mass storage unit will not operate in the background, you can't actually use the unit while you are reloading everything. Pass - I'll keep my beloved (although very finicky) Treo with a 2gb & two 1gb cards.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami
    This seems like a really bad idea - a hard reset renders the hard-drive wiped clean. How many times a week do you hard reset your Treo?
    Never! Okay, I did a hard reset once, when I loaded the ROM upgrade. You're confusing hard and soft resets, I think. Some people soft reset their Treos multiple times per week, but I can only recall reading one thread regarding a person who did frequent hard resets.

The entire point of a hard reset it to wipe the device and reset if to factory conditions. A hard reset wouldn't do much good if it left everything the way it was before your reset.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    what!!! that's horrible! that is some really stupid engineering on the part of palm if that is true. i hard reset my ipaq a few times, but the built in storage (unused ROM space) still persists. the onboard storage is only erased upon a ROM upgrade. and it's a flash card so erasing that takes no time. reformatting a hard drive would take some time...
    hard resets are designed to return the operating system to factory defaults, not your storage however.. that behavior is analogous to hard resetting your treo and your SD card gets wiped in the process- cause that's a factory default...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Blew off eating at lunch today and headed up to my local CompUSA to check one out. Really did not even think that they would have one, BUT they did!

Got the sales drone to crack one open as there was no display. He said he had just put them in the sales case about 5 minutes before I showed up.
    • Takes for ever to do a soft reset, way long. Too, too long, grew a beard while waiting...
      Nice unit to feel in the hand.
      Size seems nice, but thick, thick, thick
      Quality feel, (mmmm, metal)
      Nice screen, but not shockingly so...
      Wi-Fi was very, very easy to setup, two clicks and I was on the network
      Pocket Tunes has some different look and feel stuff, but shows 3.09
      Comes preloaded with a demo movie of the LifeDrive
      Comes preloaded with two short MP3's (30 sec each)
      Hardware screen rotation works well
      Blazer is nice, renders well and seems snappy enough
      Contacts had two contacts loaded, but seemed to be sluggish

Nice unit, thought for about 5 minutes about buying one before choosing a iRiver H10 6GB instead...I have a Palm Personal, TRGPro, T|3 and a Treo600 collecting dust. I don't need another one.

Plus, when I had the T|3 and a Treo 600, juggling the two devices sucked. I am so sold on the convergence thing. One device for me from now on, at least for my phone and organizer...

So, PalmOne loses out on my $500, but then they got me for a Treo 600 and a Treo 650 in the past 12 months, so they are still on the ups with me...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami
    This seems like a really bad idea - a hard reset renders the hard-drive wiped clean. How many times a week do you hard reset your Treo? Let me get this straight, all programs run from the hard-drive, so when you do a hard reset to get out of a loop, it has to erase the entire hard drive (per review BarginPDA).

So you reload your 3+ G.B. of data back onto the hard drive, but because the mass storage unit will not operate in the background, you can't actually use the unit while you are reloading everything. Pass - I'll keep my beloved (although very finicky) Treo with a 2gb & two 1gb cards.
    A hard reset reset's the HD... a soft reset does not clear the harddrive... its the same as the Treo 650 or the T|5. Soft reset != Hard reset. the two are apples and oranges. But your right... even for a hard reset that sux... reloading 3 gig's of data via USB 2.0... not kosher

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    what!!! that's horrible! that is some really stupid engineering on the part of palm if that is true. i hard reset my ipaq a few times, but the built in storage (unused ROM space) still persists. the onboard storage is only erased upon a ROM upgrade. and it's a flash card so erasing that takes no time. reformatting a hard drive would take some time...
    hard resets are designed to return the operating system to factory defaults, not your storage however.. that behavior is analogous to hard resetting your treo and your SD card gets wiped in the process- cause that's a factory default...
    Please pay close attention to the difference between ROM and RAM. A hard reset NEVER wipes the ROM of a Palm device. Just like your PPC, only a ROM upgrade affects the ROM. A Hard Reset resets RAM (and, apparently the hard disk, which is treated like RAM on the lifedrive). A soft reset or warm reset does neither. Hard resets are extremely rare on a Palm device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Hard resets are extremely rare on a Palm device.
    I hear that... last one i had was on my Treo 180! hehe ::knocks on wood::

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Hard resets should be really rare, if never on stable platforms (mix of hardware, OS and software). My current experience is less than stable.

Certain software, for example Express (great program - if I could get it to run - $69 down the toliet) appears to not play well with other software - we can't figure out which ones, trashes preferences and a soft reset does not always fix these. Easier to do a Hard reset and restore from card, so I don't have to re-enter purchase codes or all my TomTom user data (it blows this away EVERY time). Handmark's support says Hard reset and install Express first - works great for a while and BAM, white screen of death.

After trying a bunch of different software, it's nice to clean out all Ram and start with clean preferences every once and a while - seems to reduce spontanious soft resets somewhat. Just seems a shame that all of the Life-drives accessible Ram is not really Ram - but the HD; it will be very interesting to see how this really pans out in practical experience. I love my Treo, but don't you think it's a little weird how many users have actually had to learn the difference between soft, warm and hard resets? Not the user experience Palm was built on.

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Having a device with the phone and pims on it is a must for me. Having the calendar and contacts on the same unit as a phone is just too much synergy to ignore.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Well, If you get a T650 with a SanDisk 2GB Ultra II Secure Digital Card, you can create your own LifeDrive!

Sure, there is no Wi-Fi on the T650, but the braintrust at SanDisk is always upping the memory on those flash memory cards...
    ###
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Please pay close attention to the difference between ROM and RAM. A hard reset NEVER wipes the ROM of a Palm device. Just like your PPC, only a ROM upgrade affects the ROM. A Hard Reset resets RAM (and, apparently the hard disk, which is treated like RAM on the lifedrive). A soft reset or warm reset does neither. Hard resets are extremely rare on a Palm device.
    that is why i was surprised, i'm aware that the rom does not get wiped in a hard reset as all it does is clear the ram and restore from the ROM. however everywhere says that the device has 4000mb of rom... which you'd expect to persist even through a hard reset like any other device. so if when you hard reset, the hard drive gets wiped- no matter how you cut it, that's just plain stupid.
    the last time i had a hard reset was when i let my ipaq battery run down for a few weeks and the ram lost power. previous to that, similar situation on my treo 600... i've never had a sporadic <bam> hard reset... thanks to NVFS and the upcoming PPC persistant storage methodologies, that should be a thing of the past :-)
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    Sorry if I caused any confusion on Hard resets. I've never had a spontainous hard reset. The "white screen of death" I was refering to, is when the Treo650 locks up, apparently in the middle of a program accessing data or a program on the SD Card. The only way to exit the WSD is to do a soft reset. Unfortunately, the soft reset results in totally trashed preferences and the easist thing for me is to do a hard reset and a restore (a restore over existing data does not seem to be as clean.

if when you soft reset, your preferences are lost... there is something wrong with your phone...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast