1.    #1  
    This is really good news. That means we should see it by next month.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/05/pr2005-05-16.html
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Oh Boy hear we go. endless thread on who is better.

Let me get it started. -- Should id upgrade or stay the treo???

Don't do the It upgraded. If you are happy with your phone keep using it.
    send your extra money to feed the children.
    The Treo is great, works great and has tones of software.
    nuf said.
    Last edited by g.711; 05/16/2005 at 08:23 PM.
  3.    #3  
    ok...well...

In case you didn't notice...this is the "other handhelds, and smartphones section" It is posted exactly where it should be with no hint of bias either way. In fact you are the only one who seems bent on causing a which is better thread.

This is information for people who actually believe that there are other good phones out there besided the treo. It is not the end all you know. Relax.
    Looks pretty cool. I'm not generally a fan of the split-in-half slide design you see in Pocket PC Smartphones, but this one looks like it might be allright.
    I've been testing the i730 for about a month now....and IMHO its a treo killer.... its about the same size and thinkness as the 650, keys are awesome, it has wifi bluetooth, and stero speakers. phone feels solid in your hand...best of all...its a great phone....as much as I liked my 650 for data...as a phone it was the s**ts..
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGoodGuy
    I've been testing the i730 for about a month now....and IMHO its a treo killer.... its about the same size and thinkness as the 650, keys are awesome, it has wifi bluetooth, and stero speakers. phone feels solid in your hand...best of all...its a great phone....as much as I liked my 650 for data...as a phone it was the s**ts..
    It has wifi, bt or both? Engadget said that Verizon wasnt going to have wifi in the i730.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Good news about wifi.

Are you testing it on the VZW network? If so, how does EVDO work compared to the Treo's 1xrtt data speeds? Does it make a difference with mail push? My treo mail updates took too long and would block incoming phone calls. How is earpiece volume?

Sounds like a treo killer, but frankly palmone doesn't need any help killing the treo - evidence piece #1 - not upgrading radio to EVDO before release on VZW network.
    HOW did you get your hands on the i730?? And a month ago to boot??
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
  9.    #9  
    people have been testing this phone for about a month. I just wish someone could tell me how much the phone is going to cost. If it's like 700 then I may have to by the 650 and wait for my NE2 to come back in 2006.
    No GSM=not a world phone=NOT a Treo killer! Maybe CDMA format only Treo killer, but a Quad band GSM Treo still ROCKS!

Any phone that can't compete globally is useless IMHO! Samsung needs to release the GSM version, then we shall see if it's really a Treo killer.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Any phone that can't compete globally is useless IMHO! Samsung needs to release the GSM version, then we shall see if it's really a Treo killer.
    In 2005 I don't feel that's true (i.e. the % of people that travel globally for business is still relatively a small one), but will become more and more true over the next 5 years. The rumored i780 (due out in the fall, perhaps) is billed as a world phone.
    I hope so! When you have so many people willing to spend big bucks for phones from overseas, something is wrong with our phones over here, IMO. Or maybe I've been hanging out on phone forums for too long, LOL! But many aren't satisfied with what we have here. That tells me something, many of the phones sold here aren't competing globally. How many Asians and Europeans pay big bucks to import phones sold over here? They often don't, they have the world versions sold over there. I have seen people talk about just ordering unlocked world version all over the place. They don't need our phones, but we seem to need theirs.

Silver5(I think it's 5) is an example of this. No JAM is sold over here, but he has it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    If I traveled overseas - A WHOLE LOT - I would care about a worldphone.

Since I don't, all I care about is a phone that best uses the best network available at home. And that's VZW's EVDO network. So the i730 kills the treo for my purposes.

I don't really care about SIM cards and accessorizing with phones. Sorry.
    True many Americans are very provincial, and it's really too bad we like to cut ourselves off from the rest of the world.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Ah, so the phone is to be a display of worldliness. OK, fair enough.

I have to use my phone, though. I am forced through the realities of this nasty, brutal and short existence to pick the best one for my limited view - not the politically correct one. Woe is me.
    The only problem is sliding-out mechanism. You can't use any leather case.

I hope Verizon will enable the wifi, that will encourage Palm to make a wifi phone sooner.

edit: 1000mAH only? WiFi will kill it real fast.
    Last edited by whatever7; 05/29/2005 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    The only problem is sliding-out mechanism. You can't use any leather case.

I hope Verizon will enable the wifi, that will encourage Palm to make a wifi phone sooner.

edit: 1000mAH only? WiFi will kill it real fast.
    Have you seen the slide mechanism on the AV6600, SX66, PDA2k? There are many cases for these phones that have slide out keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    True many Americans are very provincial, and it's really too bad we like to cut ourselves off from the rest of the world.
    I agree with you in philosophy and I purchased a tiny quadband phone when I was in HK for the times I'm not in the States. It would be better to have a phone that does EVERYTHING but the Treo doesn't meet that requirement either. Heck, the Palm OS doesn't even handle timezones properly so how can the Treo 600/650 be the best phone for world travelers?
    Any Verizon Wireless insider peeps lurking around here who can offer an update on the availability of the i730?
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.