1.    #1  
    This is an old question that is soon to be answered one way or the other for each manufacturer.

I have the PPC-6600 and my personal prediction for Sprint....is No...or at least not until after we scream and yell so much that it would be cheaper to offer it than to pay for the support calls dealing with us complaining.

See below for some additional links for Dell and HP offer to upgrade.

Here is a sneak peek at Window Mobile 5.

I really like the idea of supporting a mobile drive. I just read that within the next 12-18 months they will have a 60 gig microdrive ready to be installed into phones and PDAs.

They unvieled WinMobile 5 today, but does anyone know the release date available to manufacturers?

Microsoft Unveils New Windows Mobile

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8A0DM781.html

May 10, 12:02 PM (ET)

By BRUCE MEYERSON

NEW YORK (AP) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) unveiled Tuesday a new version of its Windows operating system for mobile devices that unifies the platform for cell phones and Pocket PC handheld computers while adding such features as PowerPoint viewing and internal hard drive support.

Windows Mobile 5.0, introduced by Chairman Bill Gates at the company's annual conference for mobile software developers, also adds support for the miniature typewriter keyboards that are increasingly common on mobile phones and organizers.

Other enhancements include updates to the mobile versions of Microsoft Word and Excel that better maintain the formatting of documents created on a computer and allow the creation of charts from a spreadsheet.

The elimination of distinct phone and PDA versions of the operating system puts Windows Mobile on the same page as rival mobile device platforms such as Symbian, BlackBerry and Palm.

It also marks another change of course in Microsoft's long-evolving strategy to extend the dominance of its Windows computer platform to mobile devices.

Those efforts began with a single platform based on Windows CE, short for consumer electronics, but then fragmented into three custom-made flavors: Pocket PC organizers, "smart" cell phones, and then Pocket PC's equipped with phones.

Now they're all being brought back under one roof, a move that may motivate developers to write more software applications for Windows Mobile since they won't need to create three different variations. Users with specific needs and interests can be drawn to a particular operating system if there are more customized applications, ranging from mobile business tools to video games.

The reunification also means certain capabilities previously available for only one of the two versions of Windows Mobile are now available for both phones and handhelds.

One of these is integrated support for Wi-Fi short-range wireless connections, now available for smart phones rather than just Pocket PCs. Another is so-called "persistent" memory storage, which preserves basic user information when a device's battery runs out of power. This capability was previously available for smart phones, but not Pocket PC's.

The updated version of Mobile Windows also serves as another example of Microsoft seeking to barge its way into a hot new sector where it's late to the party - much as it responded to the Netscape Navigator Web browser with Internet Explorer and to the Palm Pilot with Pocket PC.

This time, by adding support for internal hard drives, Microsoft is enabling device makers to design phones and organizers with enough storage capacity to compete in the portable music player market dominated by the iPod from Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL)

Windows Mobile accounts for a tiny fraction of Microsoft's business. Combined, software revenue from mobile devices and consumer electronics totaled $80 million in the first three months of 2005. That was up 31 percent from a year earlier, but amounted to less than a tenth of Microsoft's overall revenue for the quarter.
  2.    #2  
    Dell & HP are going to offer an upgrade option.....here's to wishful thinking that so many will follow suite that hopefully Sprint will catch a clue:

Dell to Offer Windows Mobile 5.0 Upgrade for Axim X50 Handheld Family ( http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...us&l=en&s=corp )

HP to Offer Handheld Customers Upgrade Program to Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0
    ( http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...5/050510b.html )

Here are some additional links and information about WM2005 in general:

Microsoft Press Release: Microsoft Releases Windows Mobile 5.0
    New version of software provides partners with improved integration of technologies to deliver a more intuitive mobile device experience.

( http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...sMobile5PR.asp )

VIDEO: Bill Gates Keynote from the Microsoft Mobile & Embedded Developers Conference in Las Vegas
    ( http://www.microsoft.com/events/exec...billgates.mspx )

Microsoft Official Windows Mobile 5 Website
    ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/5/default.mspx )
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by luv2chill
    Interesting... looks like MS Voice Command will be integrated! See the following from the feature list:

# Speaker independent voice-enabled phone (PPC+SP)
    Voice dialing is a useful way to call people when the users may not be able to dial by hand or can't divert their attention to the screen for this task. The Microsoft solution does not require any training to be useful.

# Speaker independent voice-enabled productivity (PPC+SP)
    This feature is useful to end users in situations where they don't have a free hand to navigate the start menu, switch applications or read calendar entries. It is also useful in situations where calendar reminder alerts are displayed, but the device is not readily at hand.

# Speaker independent voice-enabled media (PPC+SP)
    This feature is useful to end users who enjoy playing media on their device and have a medium to large selection of tracks to play. Selecting music to play is easier and faster with voice than by any other means.

# Speaker independent voice-enabled device status (PPC+SP)
    This feature is useful to end users in situations where they don't have a free hand to navigate the device or have difficulty reading the text and icons on the screen which convey this device state information.

Well I hope they've got it working with BT headsets--there's no excuse now since it's their stack and their voice command software.

Here's the complete feature list--some great stuff on there!

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3826.html

Dan
    Chill....nice find!

It was rumored that was going to happen...now it appears confirmed.

I am also glad to see the following:

PowerPoint Mobile Viewer (PPC Only)
    Allows end-users the ability to view PowerPoint slides on a Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC as attachments in e-mail or as documents transferred to local device memory or storage card.

Choosing private call from conference call (PPC Only)
    When in a conference call, sometimes the user desires to have a private discussion with one party in the conference call without tearing down the conference call. This feature allows the user to choose one party from a conference call for a private call which then puts the other callers on hold.

Simultaneous voice and data over a single bearer (PPC+SP)
    User can simultaneously be in a circuit switched call (voice or video) and use packet data over a 3G networks. Connection Manager will enable simultaneous voice/data if the device enters 3G coverage and falls back to suspend/resume of data during voice calls when in 2G coverage. This enables new scenarios such as browsing, downloading e-mail, or instant message chatting, all while a phone call is taking place.

Enhanced networking support for media streaming (PPC+SP)
    Some 3G networks, for example, EVDO, have characteristics that require additional support in Windows Media Player to optimize streaming playback. The enhancements include fast caching support and auto-reconnect support.

DirectShow streaming support (PPC+SP)
    Provide streaming support for additional protocols and formats added to the media player via DShow.
  4.    #4  
    Here some other interesting posts from another forum:

Originally posted by pairodimes
    I heard on a conf call w/ MS last week that

1) Windows 2003 phones could upgrade easily to 5.0
    2) 5.0 should be out by late May
    3) they had no clue whether or not Sprint, Audiovox, or HTC would have to do a special version to hook up the PPC6600 or if you could just install over the top with no worries.
    Originally posted by elkay
    Windows Mobile 5 has already been demo'd on the Qtek 9090 in France:

http://www.mobinaute.com/mobinaute/a...20050510190000

That's a Blue Angel device. The ROM already exists.
    Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    I think the big reasons for me me to upgrade are:

* better Office integration
    * WMP 10 as a default not a hack....which will hopefully help with streaming audio.
    * Integrated VC so "hopefully" it will work without crashing other programs.
    * Better enhancements with 3G networks, including EVDO...which comes back to if Sprint is going to even offer that to us as well.

The decision for me (if even offered) will ultimately come down how much for what I get.
    Originally posted by luv2chill
    Biggest reasons for me:

Enhanced server activesync. This is one of the coolest features of the Pocket PC anyway, and WM 5.0 makes some great improvements. To-do lists will synchronize with it, as well as contact photos. Also, data sent via server activesync will be compressed so data sessions won't take as long. But the biggest whammy (if MS still plans to offer it) is true push e-mail (and probably, contacts, calendar items, and to-do list items also). The current "blank SMS" solution to that is not truely pushing anything, and thus is slow, hokey, and unreliable (since SMS is unreliable). True push-based syncing would really put the pressure on Blackberry.

Other reasons:

- Possible solution to Voice dialing over BT
    - Soft keys! We may actually be able to use the device one-handed/sans-stylus .
    - Can install smartphone apps (since with WM 5 it's now a common development platform).
    - Persistent storage... you really need a new device to take full advantage of this, but it's still a reason to go for the new OS. Hard resets will no longer happen accidentally!
    - Better phone app, photo caller id integration, etc.
    - All of the things Hobbes already mentioned.

It is a compelling upgrade. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Dan
    How come the new HP6500 has the old? A lot of others are selling the old one too on new phones. Why didn't they get an agreement with MS to just automatically have the new WM 2005 standard? Upgrading is a pain IMO. Look how much trouble it is to keep desktop Windows upgraded! JMO though, but all these phones being released in the second half of 2005 are listed as still having WM 2003 SE and I think it is a disservice. We're still paying $400+ for OLD system! So we have to pay ANOTHER fee to get the new OS? Or is the upgrade free? MS sticks it to us again if we have to pay for the upgrade on the NEW phones! Old phones, OK. New should have it already. But like I said, JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    It will not actually be released until later this year. I have read dates ranging from June - September. As for offering updates and charging for it or not, I agree with your humble opinion, but that will be a decision per manufacturer or carrier. That is why if I was buying a phone anytime after June I would get a it in writing how and if an upgrade is going to be handled.
    Plus this is such a major upgrade that hardware and even physical attributes will need to be revised. Yuu might have noticed that the existing upgradable devices have more ROM than RAM. They also have different hard button configs.

This is a whole new ball of wax!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    HobbesIsReal:

I posted a thread in the Communications forum, but maybe you know the answer to this. Am I misunderstanding the implications, or does MS disabling wireless TCP/IP functionality in Active Synch 4.0 essentially cripple the usefulness of the product? I don't need active synch when I'm at my desktop, only when I want to synch remotely.
    the smartphone that guy has in the presentation looks sweet, also the samsunge with the 3 gig hd, wow thats a perfect size for what youe need and want.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jip88
    HobbesIsReal:

I posted a thread in the Communications forum, but maybe you know the answer to this. Am I misunderstanding the implications, or does MS disabling wireless TCP/IP functionality in Active Synch 4.0 essentially cripple the usefulness of the product? I don't need active synch when I'm at my desktop, only when I want to synch remotely.
    I am not the sure, as I have not looked at the new 4.0 that closely yet, but I read in another forum that it is still not in it's final version yet and that the networking capabilities are not yet enabled.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm betting my i-mate Jam won't get an upgrade. I the Rom, even at 64Mb is probably not enough since it would be used for both the OS and for storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I'm betting my i-mate Jam won't get an upgrade. I the Rom, even at 64Mb is probably not enough since it would be used for both the OS and for storage.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the 64Mb ROM as most of the recent devices also come with 64Mb ROM/RAM.

According to an O2 representative I spoke to here, the O2 XDA II Mini is supposed to have the upgrade option.

I'll wait and see how his fortune telling pans out.
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    I wouldn't worry too much about the 64Mb ROM as most of the recent devices also come with 64Mb ROM/RAM.

According to an O2 representative I spoke to here, the O2 XDA II Mini is supposed to have the upgrade option.

I'll wait and see how his fortune telling pans out.
    I may have spoken too soon for O2...I just checked with a local contact who has connections and he tells me they plan to release new devices with v5 instead of providing an upgrade.

I've written to O2's feedback channels directly and am attempting to persuade them that their loyal users will dump them if O2 does not release a v5 update. Of course, coming from me, the threat is real.
    activesync 4 does not allow network activesyncs, that's correct. there are security issues apparently. they are leaning more towards the server activesync. they are also releasing an updated server activesync product, most likely will be free for exchange users that does realtime push. WM5 on its own cannot do the push solution.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    VIDEO: Bill Gates Keynote from the Microsoft Mobile & Embedded Developers Conference in Las Vegas
    ( http://www.microsoft.com/events/exec...billgates.mspx )
    Hobbes, you're on top of it as usual. Thanks for taking the time to bring it all here.

I'm glad that HP will be offering upgrades for my h2215. The video is very rich and includes a demo using the "HTC Universal" which is the MDA IV we've discussed here. It's billed there as "the first UMTS Window Mobile-based device". Note the PowerPoint Mobile that supports animation. Also, check out the demo of the Samsung i300 phone with an integrated 3-gig HD. Microsoft's usual developer-friendly orientation is going to ensure a lot of software and that is what will continue to drive this platform. I'm also glad to hear that 5.0 is backwards-compatible so all our software investments will not be rendered obsolete.

Thanks again, Hobbes.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  16.    #16  
    I read, though I cannot remember if it was confirmed, that the way the upgrade options may fall is:

PDA: Yes, or at least a high chance from each manufacturer

Cell Phone: No. Not with any carrier. If this holds true, this ticks me off...........Ignoring the loyal customer base by strong arming them to upgrade from a perfectly good and capable Cell phone / PDA just to see how many extra sales they can squeeze out.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Cell Phone: No. Not with any carrier. If this holds true, this ticks me off...........Ignoring the loyal customer base by strong arming them to upgrade from a perfectly good and capable Cell phone / PDA just to see how many extra sales they can squeeze out.
    While it will most likely not change their mindsets once they have decided, I will make it a personal vendetta to fire on O2 if this happens to me with recommendations against O2 on ALL PPC/Phone forums.

I will need assistance from fellow readers here in order to spread the damage; a list of forums which can cause maximum negative publicity will be a good start.
  18.    #18  
    i would be there with you!