Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    looks like Treo specs over two years ago.

"It will have 64 MB of RAM, of which 46 MB is user accessible. This handheld will include an 8 MB File Store.

These will be the first Pocket PCs from any company with a square (240 by 240 pixel) screen. This will be 2.2 inches on each side.

Below the screen will be a backlit QWERTY keyboard.

The hw6500 series will have a pair of memory card slots, one for SD/SDIO cards and a second for miniSD cards.

It will include a built-in GPS receiver and TomTom Navigator software. Users will be able to download one city map for free. Additional maps will cost extra.

As previously mentioned, some, but not all, models in the hw6500 series will have a 1.3 megapixel camera capable of taking 1280-by-1024-pixel still pictures or 640-by-480-pixel MPEG4 video. This will be accompanied by an LED flash.

Do you think the camera will be the differentiator in future phone device choices.? Looks to me like every new phone is touting their mega pix camera.
    Last edited by g.711; 05/10/2005 at 03:40 AM.
    you want to be able to take a picture at all times. A picture is worth a thousand words. It's stupid to say you can't take a camera in certain places. Sure I understand it's illegal to use it but to have it with you is another thing. Millions of people walk around cities with cameras. I mean c'mon.

And as for that GPS. How sweet is it going to be if you happen to lose your cell phone then be able to track it via GPS?
    The HW6500 will include a GPS receiver, which - just like most other GPS enabled devices - will receive information from a network of satellites to calculate it's current position. It will not however transmit this information back.

I am not aware of any programs that would automatically send this kind of information automatically or on request (via email or sms). But even if such a program existed or was written, anyone who finds your phone and intends to keep it will find a way to disable it...
    Quote Originally Posted by abookas
    The HW6500 will include a GPS receiver, which - just like most other GPS enabled devices - will receive information from a network of satellites to calculate it's current position. It will not however transmit this information back.

I am not aware of any programs that would automatically send this kind of information automatically or on request (via email or sms). But even if such a program existed or was written, anyone who finds your phone and intends to keep it will find a way to disable it...
    Hopefully not before they figure it out...
    actually there are programs for pocket pc that do just that... problem is that you're limited by the device's battery life, and it needs a clear view of the sky to get a gps fix.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Pretty sweet that it has built-in GPS and Tom Tom
    1 | 2
    Huh...seems to have the same basic physical features as the Tungsten C...without the camera of course.

All great things start with P1...or so we'd like to dream in our lustful slumbers.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Umm, what Treo of 2 years ago had 64MB of RAM, a built in GPS w/ TomTom and a 1.3 MP camera?

As I recall, the Tungsten C did not have a built in earpiece. You had to use a wired headset with it. This is certainly an improvement over that. And it appears to be quite a bit smaller than the T-C.

OTOH, with a 2.2 inch screen, it's definitely bigger than a Treo 6xx, which is certainly not a plus.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    it'll be interesting to see how well this device really does end up doing. The size, even being just a little larger than the Treo specs, might prove to be just over the line for the masses. Yes, it will appeal to some of the geek technorati, but will tons of folks go for it? That's the question.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    The answer is to use a vx6600 for a few months it makes the Treo is TINY after extended use of the vx6600.
    My only point in this post was to point out how visionary Handspring (who originally designed the Treo line) was in the form factor of the Treo. Every other phone tried to copy this design.