Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finally took the plunge, and I am the proud owner (for the next 60 days at least) of a brand new Sprint PPC-6600. My venerable old Treo 600 has been relegated to the electronic-drawer graveyard. Guess I need to change my avatar.

I won't try to duplicate the clear and concise reports by Bob Duckworth and HobbesIsReal; why reinvent the wheel? Suffice it to say that the machine works. I have had no resets, sound quality is very good, my old Jabra BT200 paired instantly (once I figured out how to put it in pairing mode, that is...), Voice Command works as advertised, etc., etc. I will agree to some extent with those that praise the Treo/Palm one-handed operation over PPC's, but in the end it seems to be a matter of getting used to a different but nearly equal approach. More to come as the conversion process continues, but I have to say I am very pleased with the 6600 at this point.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Good News and Welcome, Dalai. Keep us posted on the learning curve which, for you, should be very short.

Bob Duckworth
    Congrats on your new purchase. After 5 months, I'm still finding new ways to do more - even more efficiently.
    congrats!! I miss your spam kiiling posts!
  5.    #5  
    Many thanks, guys...

Here are some early observations, problems, whatever....

I notice that the Today screen is a little fickle, occasionally not refreshing well, and sometimes blanking the name of an application, but that blank will still run the app when tapped. Also some of the apps themselves don't run right until a soft reset. Is this pretty much par for the course?

Love the new dog, Dutch...

edit: OOPS, you took off the monkey picture...no offense to the lovely lady in your NEW, NEW avatar!
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 05/05/2005 at 12:04 PM.
    I made the switch 5 days ago... only I made the swith all the way to the vx6600... couldn't resist 600kbp/s of course I rarely get it. but overall I am experiencing faster speeds. The 1 thing I was wary about was the lower res screen. But the 320x240 is very "good enough" and the larger size makes what resolution there is much more useful.

I ordered the 2200mAh battery, which is what it should have came with. and strangely my hand has had a hard time adjusting to the larger size.

But overall I am liking it.
    this is not an accident, this is art.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I'm 4 weeks into my vx6600, I also love the speed Verizon offers when I compare it to my Wifeís Sprint Treo650. I agree with Dalai, it does take some getting use to the larger device. I have finally learned how to slide the case open with my thumb and index finger kinda like snapping your fingers. But this isnít needed for the majority of task I use this for checking Mail, Calendar, Todoís, Who called and Alarms/Reminders. So all I need to do is check and confirm on these apps.
    By the way:
    ∑ Yes you need to reset on some apps, same on some Treo apps.
    ∑ Treoís Uno hands better flat out period end.
    ∑ Treoís 650 Brightness and clarity is better but the trade of is a smaller screen.
    ∑ Treo smaller size makes it looks more phonish
    ∑ But Screen size on the PPC makes it more readable.
    ∑ Lack of software for the PPC is a myth. There are Tons available for PPC.
    ∑ PPC Software is more mature and developed than Treo apps.
    ∑ Active Sync is tremendous, Voice Commands is amazing, Sound /Speaker clear.

After having the PPC for some time know I feel like the Treo is great for my Wife and Kids but the PPC is definitely for Dad. Oh and donít forget to check Hobesís registry Hacks thereíre loads of fun. And most importantly the PPC has a larger screen so the chances of screen smash is more likely thus insurance is a must.
    How's BT on it? Can you actually keep the phone on your hip when you talk Dalai?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Dalai
    How is the PPC OS software wise. Is there a lot of SW available like the Treo?
    Also is there a new version of the PPC os due soon.

Thanks
  11.    #11  
    I never had the 650, so I can't compare directly. However, I did have the non-bluetooth version of the Jabra BT200 with dongle, which I used (not very satisfactorily, I might add) on my old treo 600. Once I figured out how to set the headset for pairing (hold the volume up button whilst activating the phone button on the headset, wait for solid blue light...) it took literally seconds to pair with the 6600. It works quite well with good sound on both ends. I can answer the phone with the headset button, and it cuts off when the call completes. It will not activate Voice Command, but works after one uses Voice command to activate a call.

I haven't really looked into the software that much as yet, but it looks like I can find anything I need. Someone mentioned LogMeIn.com, which has remote control software; this works well, although it is a little tedious to traverse a large screen remotely.

I'm still getting used to the one-handedness, or lack thereof. Apparently Magneto, the 2005 version of PocketPC software will make great strides here. Palm did do one thing right with their approach to the use of the D-pad. Still, it's just something else to get used to, and not a deal killer for me. I must wonder what all those treo users do with their free hand....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I never had the 650, so I can't compare directly. However, I did have the non-bluetooth version of the Jabra BT200 with dongle, which I used (not very satisfactorily, I might add) on my old treo 600. Once I figured out how to set the headset for pairing (hold the volume up button whilst activating the phone button on the headset, wait for solid blue light...) it took literally seconds to pair with the 6600. It works quite well with good sound on both ends. I can answer the phone with the headset button, and it cuts off when the call completes. It will not activate Voice Command, but works after one uses Voice command to activate a call.
    So this is NOT a PalmOne exclusive problem.
    I have the SX66(PDA2K) and have decided to keep the Treo for the fact of the exposed thumb keyboard. It is so much easier and safer to just punch in text immediately without fumbling to slide open a not so slidable(mine was stiff) keyboard. I can enter tasks and appointments with EASE. EASE I TELL YA! I was also afraid of the screen on the PPC. Although it is beautiful IMO it is vulnerable. But web surfing in landscape is a much MUCH better web experience than in Blazer. Also watching movies and playing games on the SX66 is a joy. But with a case(a must) this device becomes pretty large(but no antenna!). I might try the I-MATE JAM yet but until the HP 6500 comes out I may be stuck with the Treo. To tell you the truth though if the SX66 had EDGE I may have kept it. It was very close... Since you lucky people are taking advantage of EVDO wifi is almost unnecessary. If they put a 3.5 jack a qwerty keyboard and EDGE or EVDO on the I-MATE JAM there would be no contest.
  14.    #14  
    Ah, the search for perfection. Rectangular screen, square screen? QWERTY thumboard onboard, slide out, fold out, or none at all? WiFi, Bluetooth, phone? One handed, two handed, three handed, D-pad, joystick, touchpad, touchscreen, stylus, finger on screen? It's enough to drive one to drink (more).

I'm OK so far with the peculiarities of the 6600. In 18 months it will be old and will be replaced by whatever the latest and greatest might be at the time. We've about reached the point of these damn things being disposable anyway.

The good news for me is that this thing is stable, it does what I need it to do, it has a much better screen than the treo 600, it does lots of cool, neat, groovy stuff, and it works. Did I mention that it doesn't reset all the time? And that it has a whole lot of memory? And its Bluetooth implementation works? And Micro$oft didn't have to rework its file structure to make the memory work? And it has a backup battery to keep it running if main battery goes or is switched out? And its keyboard light isn't blinding? And it works? And it doesn't reset? And..... Oh well, you get the idea...

Hope I don't have to eat those words later, but after 48 hours, all is well in Dalai-wood.
    I must wonder what all those treo users do with their free hand....
    Giving it a rest of course!
    But I wouldn't expect you to understand, your holiness.

Let me see...holding onto my briefcase, drinking coffee and eating cake too, holding onto the umbrella when its raining...

I miss those days.
    it does lots of cool, neat, groovy stuff, and it works.
    The toy value of the PPC will always appease people initially. But the toy value dies after awhile. In the end, you will just end up with another PDA /Phone where you require/depend on PDA/Phone functionality for your day-to-day management of your time and communications. The pretty graphics certainly adds flair but what's flair without efficiency?

I will look forward to Magneto and will watch very closely for the first few months of its release to see whether it integrates the Treo's efficiencies into the Windows OS.

And that it has a whole lot of memory?
    Again, that's because the Windows OS is bigger and its applications are bigger. Its all relative.

And Micro$oft didn't have to rework its file structure to make the memory work?
    I don't think anyone cares about that. Its a technical capability that no one needs to worry about as long as it works in the end.

And it has a backup battery to keep it running if main battery goes or is switched out?
    I thought most PDA/Phones that allow you to remove the battery (for example, to replace it) wouldn't go bye-bye if you remove the battery? The internal battery provides a limited period of power. You will find the Treo 650 with the same capability...from what I've read of it.

And its keyboard light isn't blinding?
    Ahh...maybe you need to get a pair of shades?

And it works? And it doesn't reset?
    Well, all the people who are happy with the Treo think it works too. It doesn't reset...yes...it slows down and it outright refuses to respond...oh, there's no reset screen...no blue screen of death...I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Just putting things into perspective here.
    Welcome to the Darkside, Dalai Lama. It has been 4 months and I'm still pleased with my XV6600 WOC and planning to get the i730. A few things I don't remember anyone posting:

- There are a lot of PPC apps out there but you might have to do some serious searching to find just what you want. As with the Palm, the best software is often free (e.g. GSPlayer) and the buggiest sofware is often expensive (e.g. MS Voice Command).

- Get a bluetooth headset with quickness.

- If you liked to SMS on your Treo 600, visit www.pocketmonkey.net and get in on the SMSPro beta testing. You'll be pleased with this new app.

(Edited to fix URL.)
    Last edited by Beryl; 05/07/2005 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    - If you liked to SMS on your Treo 600, visit www.pocketmonkey.com and get in on the SMSPro beta testing. You'll be pleased with this new app.
    I can't get that link to work, was it this that you meant?
    Many thanks, guys...

Here are some early observations, problems, whatever....

I notice that the Today screen is a little fickle, occasionally not refreshing well, and sometimes blanking the name of an application, but that blank will still run the app when tapped. Also some of the apps themselves don't run right until a soft reset. Is this pretty much par for the course?

Love the new dog, Dutch...

edit: OOPS, you took off the monkey picture...no offense to the lovely lady in your NEW, NEW avatar!

yea it's www.pocketmonkey.net
    i'm an admin there :-)
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast