Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dalai,

My Treo 650 does all that I need it to do. After the ROM update, I was having some issues initially, but then after using Shadowmites custom ROM now I'm in heavens. Good luck with your PPC.

Al
    [QUOTE=Beryl](e.g. GSPlayer) QUOTE]

Anyone have settings for GSPlayer that don't pop and skip? Sound quality is good but I get occasional stutters that drive me crazy.

TIA,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by Markmat
    I can't get that link to work, was it this that you meant?
    You are so right and so smart.
  4.    #24  
    Progress report... Here we are at about 3 weeks into the PPC experience. For the first time yesterday, I ran the main and the backup battery into the ground before changing battery packs, and lost most data and settings. I had NOT performed a true backup, and it took me about an hour to restore everything from my PC. Once burned, always cautious. I now have the Sprite PPC backup program set to back the phone up daily to SD card and the PC (and to add the belt to the suspenders, I set ActiveSync to backup as well upon each sync!) I should have known to do all this from my Treo days. Foolish Dalai. Having NVFS would have saved me from my stupidity, but doing the above accomplishes the same thing without all the other joys of NVFS.

I remain quite satisfied with the 6600. It is still a little more difficult to operate one-handed, but actually one gets used to the different approach required rather quickly. Form factor is definately not quite that of the Treo, but unless you go to a tall configuration like the BenQ (anybody seen one yet?), you can't have a rectangular screen and a keyboard sitting out at the same time. Personally, I really like the rectangular screen, especially when using landscape mode with LogMeIn remote control. To each his or her own. More updates to follow.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Does this problem also occur with smartphone WM? Do you have any idea?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Nice Thread. If you are new to this forum Here is my review Dalai was referring to in the initial post:

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62661

Review of the PPC-6600
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73957

Here are some of my thoughts and answers to comments/questions above:

Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    The toy value of the PPC will always appease people initially. But the toy value dies after awhile. In the end, you will just end up with another PDA /Phone where you require/depend on PDA/Phone functionality for your day-to-day management of your time and communications. The pretty graphics certainly adds flair but what's flair without efficiency?
    I have had my 6601 and 6600 for over 7 months now....and I am still amazed at what it can do....and how efficent it really is (i.e...true multitasking can do wonders in saving time on a busy day on the road!). I agree, as I work closely side by side those who have the Treo 650 and it works great for some, while others have switched to the 6600 and are happy and some wished they could. For many, depending on their needs, work demands, personal preferences, etc... The 6600 stands out as a better choice, the 650 stands out as the better choice, or either would do just fine.

For me personally, I loved my Treo 600 for over 10 months...but have never regretted switching since the moment I turned on the 660x. With that said, you bet come the turn of the year, I will be looking to see if anything else out there can help me even more with my work, even if that happens to be the Treo 700. It is all about what can do the best job for what I like and want to do.

Again, that's because the Windows OS is bigger and its applications are bigger. Its all relative.
    Ah...I find this a standard answer and often times overstated in reality. Yes, the OS may take more room, and some apps may be larger while a vast chunk of software options are VERY comparible in size to their Palm counterparts. To keep it relative the size difference from the OS and apps do not equal the lack of Memory difference of 32 mb vs 128 mb.

The other point to bring to the memory comparison between that two, which many of my co-workers instantly loved, was the fact that I can install virtually ANY software on my SD card and leave my internal memory for large files for faster loading. On the Palm there are programs that absolutely require to be loaded in internal memory taking up valuable real estate that most users would love to install on their SD card, if given the option.

I don't think anyone cares about that. Its a technical capability that no one needs to worry about as long as it works in the end.
    Try telling that to my Treo 650 co-workers who were pulling their hair out the first 3 months after it was released.

Well, all the people who are happy with the Treo think it works too. It doesn't reset...yes...it slows down and it outright refuses to respond...oh, there's no reset screen...no blue screen of death...I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Just putting things into perspective here. .
    I have found both the Treo and 6600 to be about equal with having to reset. Most of the time it is for the same reason, 3rd party conflicts with other 3rd party software. No winner either way on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mattTarr
    The 1 thing I was wary about was the lower res screen. But the 320x240 is very "good enough" and the larger size makes what resolution there is much more useful.

I ordered the 2200mAh battery, which is what it should have came with.
    I agree...The extra real estate for spreadsheets, docs, email, webpages, etc... tips the trade off for the higher res in my book. I love to be able browse the web and read spreadsheets in Landscape. I don't think I could live without it now that I have have a taste of this in my life!

Good battery. That one gets most people though their heaviest days just fine. The other thing I have noticed is that my 6600 is the fastest charging phone I have every owned. That makes it nice to do a top off mid day or while driving to pick up lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bongmaster
    How is the PPC OS software wise. Is there a lot of SW available like the Treo?
    Also is there a new version of the PPC os due soon.
    Just check out these threads and you will see that there is a wealth of Software available, accessories to buy, etc... I have found that it is probably safe to say that the Palm more small utility apps (many of which I do miss) but that PPC has more developed and polish software options (some of which are not available for Palm). I have rarely found myself wanting for a software solution.

Software For PPC
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67279

Accessories for PPC-660x/SX66/VZ6600
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66954

MS Unviels WinMobile 5.0 Will You Be Offered An Upgrade Option?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=84021
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It is all about what can do the best job for what I like and want to do.
    Almost. Having been in both camps, I can safely say that both solutions can do the job. But what I was getting to was that a PDA/Phone will always end up being either very useful for you forever or it will have initial appeal only (especially on the PPC devices). A lot of people I know go for the initial "toy" value of the PPC only to discover, several months later, that they could have been just as happy with their Palm, Symbian or other proprietary PDA device.

Ah...I find this a standard answer and often times overstated in reality. Yes, the OS may take more room, and some apps may be larger while a vast chunk of software options are VERY comparible in size to their Palm counterparts. To keep it relative the size difference from the OS and apps do not equal the lack of Memory difference of 32 mb vs 128 mb.
    Most Palm devices these days are released with at least 48Mb of memory and are reaching the 64Mb mark but the point is staring you in the face, even as you responded. 32mb vs 128mb may sound crazy but the fact is, you can have a Palm based device at 32mb just as capable as a 64mb PPC device. That's why there aren't any 128mb Palm device that I know of (unless its a custom job for some power user).

The memory footprint of the device spells a lot in the applications requirements.

The other point to bring to the memory comparison between that two, which many of my co-workers instantly loved, was the fact that I can install virtually ANY software on my SD card and leave my internal memory for large files for faster loading. On the Palm there are programs that absolutely require to be loaded in internal memory taking up valuable real estate that most users would love to install on their SD card, if given the option.
    Let's be fair. This applies to both camps. I have seen my fair share of PPC software that will install on external storage only to crash, fail or partly not work because it is not in main memory.

Try telling that to my Treo 650 co-workers who were pulling their hair out the first 3 months after it was released.
    As I said - if the technology works, it doesn't matter how its done. If your colleagues are pulling hair because it, for argument's sake, uses 8 byte sectors instead of 4 byte sectors, then I say they need to be admitted to a mental institution for treatment.

I have found both the Treo and 6600 to be about equal with having to reset. Most of the time it is for the same reason, 3rd party conflicts with other 3rd party software. No winner either way on this one.
    A fair enough statement but I have yet to see my PPC reset. It doesn't reset unless I issue a soft/hard reset. So while I can't vouch for your assessment, I can say the amount of times I need to hit the soft/hard reset is about the same as the number of times the Palm OS automatically resets.

Just check out these threads and you will see that there is a wealth of Software available, accessories to buy, etc... I have found that it is probably safe to say that the Palm more small utility apps (many of which I do miss) but that PPC has more developed and polish software options (some of which are not available for Palm). I have rarely found myself wanting for a software solution.
    Palm software will always be more plentiful than the PPC software base because its been around much longer. I think this pretty much makes anyone trying to argue the "PPC has more software than Palm" perspective look extremely silly. I agree though that the PPC software appears more polished but that's because the software architecture requires that all software conform in one way or another hook onto the very mature and very standard Windows application programming interfaces which Windows Mobile Edition is based on. Microsoft has done a good job with software in general despite their other failures.
    I switched from a Treo 600 a couple of months after you did and I agree your assessment. The software is out there but I find it a little more difficult to find the gems than it was for the Palm. I'm not 100% certain why this is the case.

Comparison reviews are not as available for the different offerings. For example, if I wanted a good reader for my Palm, I could easily find a review which compares all of the popular ones.

An attractive Palm OS-based device is on the horizon (I hope) so my many Palm software registrations will come in handy. It is just a matter of time.
    ...Microsoft has done a good job with software in general despite their other failures.
    I guess that's ok given that MS is a software company.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I guess that's ok given that MS is a software company.
    Last time I checked, they were trying to be more than just that.
    e.g. Xbox 360 looks cool but its a piece of hardware at the end of the day.
    As you can see from nearly all of my posts I like both phones and both platforms. I am not one to defend one over another. I think you have misunderstood my point on a couple things with the added fact that I probably did not take the time express what I really meant so here is a couple clarifications.

Most Palm devices these days are released with at least 48Mb of memory and are reaching the 64Mb mark but the point is staring you in the face, even as you responded. 32mb vs 128mb may sound crazy but the fact is, you can have a Palm based device at 32mb just as capable as a 64mb PPC device. That's why there aren't any 128mb Palm device that I know of (unless its a custom job for some power user).

The memory footprint of the device spells a lot in the applications requirements.
    I think you just expressed the point I was trying to make better than I did. Yes a PPC can easily run on a 64 mb deviced, but with the PPC-6600 they decided to DOUBLE what is actually needed to give LOADS of extra room. While the 650 remained at 32 instead of moving with the growing standard of 64 mb.

Let's be fair. This applies to both camps. I have seen my fair share of PPC software that will install on external storage only to crash, fail or partly not work because it is not in main memory.
    I am being fair. I have a LOT more Palm apps that absolutely require to loaded into main memory that is absolutely required on the PPC. I have not worked with any previous versions of the WM, but only with WM2003, and I have at one time or another loaded just about every app I own on my SD card on purpose or for an experiment. So far I have yet to find an app I cannot install on my SD card. That is not a bold or exagerated statement either. I even put 3 different email programs, MS Voice Command (which is probably the most OS integrated program I know of), two different 3rd party internet browsers, etc...., all on my SD card without a lick of problems, though I have since removed most of them and put them in memory for faster loading and use.

This question has been posted by Newbies time and again on several forums (PDAphoneHome, HoFo, SprintUsers, Pocket PC Thoughts, etc...) that I frequent and the answer is generally the same: The rule of thumb is mostly, if you want it to run faster...install in main memory...if you don't care, use the SD card. Do they run slower? Certainly, which is why it is nice to have the LOADS of extra internal memory so I am never forced to load a program onto my SD card that I don't want to. Have there been reported programs errors with SD installations on forums? Certainly. Are there PPC WM2003 that absolutely require to be installed in memory, I am sure there are, but none come to mind for the PPC, while a large handful of PALM come to mind.

This not a slam against Palm, simply a fact for some software solutions. How many users here are totally dependent on Zlauncher or TealAlias to trick the Palm OS that the program is actually running in main memory, while it is actually running from the SD card? I think the main reason WM2003 can get away with this more than Palm is due to the Registry, which can point to any location for the program, either in main memory or on the SD card.

As I said - if the technology works, it doesn't matter how its done. If your colleagues are pulling hair because it, for argument's sake, uses 8 byte sectors instead of 4 byte sectors, then I say they need to be admitted to a mental institution for treatment.
    This was simply in reference to past posts of mine of me complaining about listening to them complaining about having running out of room, having less memory available than their 600, or having to uninstall to make room for what they need then. I am not arguing at all about the fact that the whole lot of them should be admitted...in fact that would make way for more opportunities for promotions for me! (boy, as I know some of them frequent this forum, I love the fact that I am anonymous )

Palm software will always be more plentiful than the PPC software base because its been around much longer. I think this pretty much makes anyone trying to argue the "PPC has more software than Palm" perspective look extremely silly. I agree though that the PPC software appears more polished but that's because the software architecture requires that all software conform in one way or another hook onto the very mature and very standard Windows application programming interfaces which Windows Mobile Edition is based on. Microsoft has done a good job with software in general despite their other failures.
    I never claimed that PPC has more software than does Palm. In fact, I said that Palm certainly has more utility options than does PPC. But I would also be very cautious about stating the Palm still has more software options than PPC.

My point was simply of what many other Palm users don't sometimes seem to understand, is that I have never found myself or any of my friends/co-workers (and we are all road warrior power users) wanting for ANY software solution yet for the PPC that is only on the Palm (with again the exception of some really cool specialized utilities). Are there software solutions ONLY available for Palm? Yup (some of Dataviz's great software come to mind). Are there software solutions ONLY available for PPC? Certainly. But no matter what platform you have, you should be comfortable in the fact that you can probably find a solution for you for what you want to do without wishing you were on the other side of the fence.

I think that one reason Palm does offer more cool utilities and hacks is not because Palm has been around longer, but because Palm no doubt has a larger and tighter development community with great communication and relationships with the users.

This is not aimed at you as you have proved to be very balanced in your posts, but as a stereotypical generalization, a lot of Palm users are under a false understanding that the PPC has very few software solutions, which is simply not true. Now with WM2005 coming out this year, which now pulls all of the seperate WM OS's into one OS solution, this will only increase as developers will now only have to write for one single platform.

Here is an interesting thread that may point to only one reason why there are so many PPC software solutions out there right now:

Future Of Palm OS & Pocket PC OS...judging by current trends...
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=69248
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/25/2005 at 02:16 PM.
    As you can see from nearly all of my posts I like both phones and both platforms. I am not one to defend one over another. I think you have misunderstood my point on a couple things with the added fact that I probably did not take the time express what I really meant so here is a couple clarifications.
    Thanks HobbesIsReal. I know you're quite balanced when it comes to these things. It just didn't come out that way in your last post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12