Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I finally gave in when the opportunity arose to get my hands on an iMate Jam. I have really been missing the PPC in the last month because I sold my 6315 and am now having laptop trouble, forcing me to rely almost solely on my Treo. This has brought me to the realization that the Treo is not up to the task. While I had become accustomed to leaving my laptop behind when I had access to a PPC, I don't feel I can go very long without a computer when using the Treo because it doesn't do anywhere near as well on the web, can't allow multiple programs to be open, and it requires that I buy many additional programs in order to have the same functionality.

One thing I'm concerned with on the Jam is the battery life, but if it is close to that of the Treo then I see no reason not to make the switch. Plus, I miss Voice Command...
    They sell that in the US?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    There are many places to order it from online, and it actually costs less than an unlocked 650. If it works out for me, which I'm pretty confident about right now, I might even sell/trade my unbranded 650 to get a second one as a backup.

Hey, a fellow Chicagoan!
    iMate Jam sold online is an unlocked GSM PPC? No keyboard though, right?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Exactly. They have both 64Mb versions as well as 128Mb versions (as modified by PPC Techs...might not be the exact name).
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    ""One thing I'm concerned with on the Jam is the battery life, but if it is close to that of the Treo then I see no reason not to make the switch. Plus, I miss Voice Command... ""

There is a great post on the Jam's upgraded battery on HoFo, maybe that will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I finally gave in when the opportunity arose to get my hands on an iMate Jam. I have really been missing the PPC in the last month because I sold my 6315 and am now having laptop trouble, forcing me to rely almost solely on my Treo. This has brought me to the realization that the Treo is not up to the task. While I had become accustomed to leaving my laptop behind when I had access to a PPC, I don't feel I can go very long without a computer when using the Treo because it doesn't do anywhere near as well on the web, can't allow multiple programs to be open, and it requires that I buy many additional programs in order to have the same functionality.

One thing I'm concerned with on the Jam is the battery life, but if it is close to that of the Treo then I see no reason not to make the switch. Plus, I miss Voice Command...
    We think the same. I'm really upset with the web browsing on the Treo. I just am gonna be pissed that I paid so much for my Treo and am going to list it on Ebay and take a loss of some kind. Then I have to wait for my Jam to get here. The only problem with the Jam is that it's only regular GPRS not EDGE. And with no wifi I'm not sure how long it's going to take to load up pages. I need one to test out but the online stores make you pay 15% restocking fee if your return it. Dilemma. Also the Jam still doesn't have a 3.5 audio jack. Now what good wholesome PPC doesn't have a 3.5 audio jack... Let me know if you get it and how it performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    The only problem with the Jam is that it's only regular GPRS not EDGE. And with no wifi I'm not sure how long it's going to take to load up pages. I need one to test out but the online stores make you pay 15% restocking fee if your return it. Dilemma. Also the Jam still doesn't have a 3.5 audio jack. Now what good wholesome PPC doesn't have a 3.5 audio jack... Let me know if you get it and how it performs.
    Look at it from the bright side..you get rid of your Treo and can go to some Jam-forum and start complaining about all the things above that are 'flaws' with the Jam design
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Look at it from the bright side..you get rid of your Treo and can go to some Jam-forum and start complaining about all the things above that are 'flaws' with the Jam design
    you know I will

Except Web browsing won't be one of them.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have the Jam and am thoroughly enjoying it. The lack of a keyboard is annoying, but with everything else being taken into consideration it will be the one I tale I take with me in the mornings. The Treo is still a Kickass device, but the Jam seems to have it beaten.
    I have the Jam and am thoroughly enjoying it. The lack of a keyboard is annoying, but with everything else being taken into consideration it will be the one I tale I take with me in the mornings. The Treo is still a Kickass device, but the Jam seems to have it beaten.
    What data speed are you using? How are the web loading times?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Using T-Mobile, I still don't get Edge speeds, but I'm very happy with the browsing speed. Most pages load as fast as my 650 does, and pages are almost always formatted better. Also, larger web sites and some web forums actually load quite a bit faster on the Jam than the Treo.

I do miss the easy navigation on lto Treo, with no need for the stylus when on the web, but other options easily make up for that.
    Using T-Mobile, I still don't get Edge speeds, but I'm very happy with the browsing speed. Most pages load as fast as my 650 does, and pages are almost always formatted better. Also, larger web sites and some web forums actually load quite a bit faster on the Jam than the Treo.

I do miss the easy navigation on lto Treo, with no need for the stylus when on the web, but other options easily make up for that.
    Dude you're really sellin' me. I think I'm gonna make the move. Thanks for the info. What format does it take the videos in and could you possibly post one? Also if I buy one should I give a referral or something? Oh and how's the battery life and processor power? Can it handle say full screen wmv's at around 384kbps?
    Last edited by juice; 04/25/2005 at 08:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The battery life is very good and the processor seems fast. However, do not buy the Jam for its camera! The camera is pretty bad.

The device can definitely handle playing downloaded movies, but I have only played two 1 minute clips and they were lower than the quality you mentioned. It would probably be just fine though.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hey Silver, you've probably had the Jam for over a month now, are you as excited as you were initially? Or do you find yourself going back to the Treo 650 (if it's not already gone on ebay already! )

I have a Treo 600, trying to decide between an upgrade to the Treo 650 or the Jam. I'm mostly worried about the lack of keyboard on the Jam, I find the keyboard on my Treo 600 highly convenient for the occasional text input (messages, memos, To-do etc)

Waiting for your thoughts,

L

PS:
    Does anyone know of a good online comparison between the Treo (600 or 650) and the Jam?
    The lack of keyboard is such a huge factor ( to me ), and with the lack of EDGE I definitely wouldn't give this device a chance...

Good luck though
    1 | 2
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well, I haven't had it for a month quite yet, but I can tell you that I still like it almost as much as I did when it had that "new car smell," if you know what I mean. It definitely won't be sold any time soon. In fact, I have been thinking about selling my Treo 650! I have both sitting on my nightstand when I wake up and every time I have considered taking the Treo with me in the morning I have ended up putting the SIM card back in the Jam and heading out of the house.

Yes, the lack of the keyboard can be annoying at times as I expected it would be. There is no way around that, so if a keyboard is a must, stick to the Treos. However, being the owner of many PPCs in the past, I am familiar with the handwriting recognition that comes with them and it is excellent. I can write an email in my own handwriting, have it converted to text almost as quickly as I can type it out on the Treo, though not quite as fast.

What it comes down to is something I have said many times...I prefer the Treo's hardware but I wish it had Windows Mobile software.
    I prefer at least a phonepad, the ones on all newer phones can usually be "converted" into a keyboard for entering text. So JAM wouldn't be for me. I still want a PPC too, lol! But I do have to say it's hard for me to put the Treo away, so I will be keeping mine. There's NO WAY I'm selling it!

I have the PDA2K and the Treo 650. Dang that keyboard if it doesn't get you everytime. It is so nice. I swear they could have fit a mini keyboard or at least a T9 pad on the IMATE JAM. That would have been nice. Sure you'll need to touch the screen but not pull out the stylus. So that is essentially one handed operation. Still love PPC OS way more. Landscape IE surfing is a pleasure. I think I'm gonna try out that HP 6515 when it comes out. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    I have the PDA2K and the Treo 650. Dang that keyboard if it doesn't get you everytime. It is so nice. I swear they could have fit a mini keyboard or at least a T9 pad on the IMATE JAM. That would have been nice. Sure you'll need to touch the screen but not pull out the stylus. So that is essentially one handed operation. Still love PPC OS way more. Landscape IE surfing is a pleasure. I think I'm gonna try out that HP 6515 when it comes out. We'll see.
    juice, just type the last name or first name of the person you are trying to call in the phone application and scroll (using the D-pad) to the person you want to call. Hit the center button to view the contact details, scroll again to the fixed line number, cellular or whatever number and hit the center button again to dial.

No stylus required. But then to get out of those screens, you need to hit the OK button at the top right hand corner. Still a pain but not by much.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast