1.    #1  
    Well last week sitting on my couch i dropped my 6600 and it broke. i was so suprised how easy it was to bust it, i dropped it maybe 2 feet and it landed on soft carpet floor but the screen went bye bye. So luckly i had the warrenty and they told me that they didnt have any 6600's in right now that they would send me a treo 650 till one came available. well i really liked my 6600, thier is just so much you can do with it but after getting the treo i have decided to keep it instead.. it is really not in the same league as the 6600 but the phone is really impressive. the main reason for me keeping it is the size, it is just alittle smaller but that little amount for me is alot more that it looks. and it is much lighter than the 600 too. it just fits perfect in pants pockets and the screen is the best i have ever seen. and even though i have never dealt with anything palm and have always dogged on palm but it is very easy to use and the center joystick seems to be much easier to use and i like the keyboad much more than the slider one on the 6600. i bought the cardio 500 for 35 bucks at ecost and i dont know if it is a cheapo unit but it worked flawlessly with the 6600 but thier is alittle lag and low volume with it on the 650. just remeber that the 6600's arent that durable so keep em of the ground lol.. i am hoping the 650 is a little more durable.. has anyone heard if it seems to with stand punishment alittler better??
    Dropped my Treo a few times.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=75591

If you carry it enough it is not a matter of if, but instead when and from how high will you drop it.

I have tried a lot of devices in my time. PPC does some things better Palm does some things better.

To me what makes the Treo the #1 smartphone out is not the fact that it does "everything" the best... but instead, it is the best combination of FORM and FUNCTION.
    I was worried about the 6600's durability myself after seeing how flimsy the displays were, and also one was broken. Well I'm for sure crossing it off my list entirely.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Not all 6600s are this frail.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    As with any other phones. Some won't withstand a fall onto carpet while another exact model will withstand a fall onto concrete. Some treos may experience cracks on screens (do a search) for no apparent reasons while most will not. Just hope you don't get a "bad" one.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    You good people need to remember that the iMate Blue Angel clones, including the PPC 6600/1, and the Siemens SX66 are all made by HTC, and gosh if they don't manufacture the TREO 650 too! Do ya think they only use the cheap labor on the PPC side? There have been LOTS of reports of TREO's biting the dust after a little bitty fall. Sorry you had to see two bad ppc's, Ms. Lady TREO, but maybe even two in a row is too small a sample to declare the whole product defective....
    In case anyone was wondering the Treo is NOT water proof. I took my 600 for a quick swim during a recent vacation in Florida. I am currently Treoless. I am soon to rectify the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    You good people need to remember that the iMate Blue Angel clones, including the PPC 6600/1, and the Siemens SX66 are all made by HTC, and gosh if they don't manufacture the TREO 650 too! Do ya think they only use the cheap labor on the PPC side? There have been LOTS of reports of TREO's biting the dust after a little bitty fall. Sorry you had to see two bad ppc's, Ms. Lady TREO, but maybe even two in a row is too small a sample to declare the whole product defective....
    Yes Mr. President, but I can't afford to lose $700 at this time. You probably get all your phones for free, so you can afford to go through phones. But when you look at the displays in different stores and they don't hold up too well, what would you think? I might have bought it anyway had I not seen the broken one, but obviously you can't slide that thing too many times. And the casing and keyboard really aren't worth $700 IMO. I'm going to look at another line of PPC phones, looks like HP will have to be it.

Disclaimer: Part of my post is a joke somewhat, but just in case...
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    As with any other phones. Some won't withstand a fall onto carpet while another exact model will withstand a fall onto concrete. Some treos may experience cracks on screens (do a search) for no apparent reasons while most will not. Just hope you don't get a "bad" one.
    My regular cell phones are more solid than both these models from what I've been reading on this forum.

I've dropped on a wooden floor more than once and never a cracked screen. Even the case holds up. no stress cracks, etc. And they were LESS money! And I ABUSED the last phone I want to get rid of, the thing STILL works!

10.    #10  
    well i am not trying to start a flame war here.. i really really liked my 6600 it is a amazing mini laptop with cell phone capability, i would love to have gotten another one but i was told i am only aloud to have 2 replacements in a years time thru lockline.. and since i broke it after 2 months of service i was worried.. and "in my opinion" the treo looks to be able to with stand minor drops better than the 6600's.. the screen and phone both appear to look more durable, but if either are dropped from the standing postion onto concrete the will both be garbage, and niether look to be to be dive safe lolol.. to me the big diffrence in the 2 phones is size the 6600 is a brick compared to the 650 even though they really dont look that much diffirent in size in pics.. but put them both in your pants pocket for the day and you will see exactly what i am talking about. I use my phone more for a phone than a mini laptop and i caught myself to many times saying dam this phone is to big, or grabbing my wifes cell at times so i didnt have to carry the 6600.. just my experience with it..
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    All this talk about the crack prone screen. I do not find the complaint post to back this statement on either HoFo or Pdahomephone. A previous post claimed that a display phone in some store was broken thus this points to a faulty build. Wrong.
    Yes there is a possibility of the screen more prone to breakage, but the screen is twice as large so the chance is larger. Given the maturity of the device xda, pd2k ppc and vx6600 it may be hard to track or nail down the fact on this issue.

Both are great devices we are blessed to have these choices.
    That was me. Not necessarily faulty building, but lack of durability. If it can't handle constant usage, I can't use it. That was the 2nd 6600 I saw that day that just didn't meet the durabilty test for me. That was the phone I wanted to move my main number to. For my main phone, I now have to look at HP, or wait for the next Treo.

P.S. On the broken model, it was the mechanism, not the screen. The phone part worked(the LED was on), but you could do absolutely nothing because the sliding parts were somewhat separated and also stuck. The screen wouldn't even turn on because of this. If I keep sliding up and down to use the keyboard, how long before this happens to me? And I also didn't like the build quality of the model that did work in the other store(flimsy plastic). I can't take a chance because I need my main phone to not break all of a sudden.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/23/2005 at 07:59 PM.

I'm getting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by daneyb
    has anyone heard if it seems to with stand punishment alittler better??
    I can't speak for the 650 but my Treo 600 has been dropped from 2 feet up onto concrete and chest down height onto wooden floorboards. As I'm pretty tall, I guess that means its pretty durable. The phone is a bit worn and there are certainly pressure points that are starting to buckle in but otherwise, its held together quite well.

I have not, as yet, dropped my XDA II Mini (iMate Jam) but the feel of the Treo does appear to be more solid than the Mini. I am hoping I never have to find out whether or not it can withstand a drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    P.S. On the broken model, it was the mechanism, not the screen. The phone part worked(the LED was on), but you could do absolutely nothing because the sliding parts were somewhat separated and also stuck. The screen wouldn't even turn on because of this. If I keep sliding up and down to use the keyboard, how long before this happens to me?
    I admire your sense of perception. Mechanical parts are usually the first to break down in any device (unless you are talking BMW automobiles). From a reliability perspective, flip phones and slide-out phones are usually the first to give in as opposed brick-shaped phones with little moving parts. This kind of explains why my Nokia phones always outlasted the motorola flip phones I used to have.

Slide out keyboards are no exception but if you do treat it with care, you can extend the life to the manufacturer's estimated lifetime for the product. But this is assuming no accidents ever happen when you are around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Yes Mr. President, but I can't afford to lose $700 at this time. You probably get all your phones for free, so you can afford to go through phones. But when you look at the displays in different stores and they don't hold up too well, what would you think? I might have bought it anyway had I not seen the broken one, but obviously you can't slide that thing too many times. And the casing and keyboard really aren't worth $700 IMO. I'm going to look at another line of PPC phones, looks like HP will have to be it.

Disclaimer: Part of my post is a joke somewhat, but just in case...

Hey, you wanna come be my communications intern and play with my sliding keyboard? Oh, wait, that was that last guy we had in here....

Think about one last thing... For the TREO 650 a demo could take a fair amount of punishment and not show it cuz there aren't any moving parts (OK, keys and stuff, but you know what I mean..) You get some gorilla-sized gentleman playing with the slider thing on a 660x, and you could get derailed keyboard, 'specially if they guy loves TREO's! For what it's worth, anyway. I'll let you guys know how well mine works or doesn't....
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I saw a kid in the Vz store trying to open a VX660... Like a flip phone.
    But the above point is true, any moving part will hava a shorter life span.

Oh unless it made by BMW