Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Read about the death of the MPx. (Remember that one?)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000877040580/
  2.    #2  
    The Treo might be alright after all. If every one of their competitors is late to market or comes out with a 50 lb brick, they might just make it with a somewhat-large and somewhat-cranky phone--for now.

The Samsung i730 might be next to fall.
    LOL! Is that the real picture? Motorola and it's LONG history of clunky bricks! That was pitiful and no wonder it didn't really take off! I can carry my 650 in my purse, NOT that!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    LOL! Is that the real picture? Motorola and it's LONG history of clunky bricks! That was pitiful and no wonder it didn't really take off! I can carry my 650 in my purse, NOT that!
    That picture does not do the MPx justice. It is far, far from a brick. It is much smaller in terms of height and width than the Treo, and just a fraction of an inch thicker. The MPx fits comfortably in my pants pocket. I was never able to carry my Treo 300 or 600 that way.

The reason that the MPx didn't "take off" had nothing at all to do with its size or form factor. That was actually its strength. Before the internal specs were released, just about everyone and their brother wanted to own this thing for that very reason.

The downfall of the MPx can be explained very easily: Moto went cheap on the ram and processor. Triple the ram and double the processor speed and it would easily have smashed all competitors to pieces, including the Treos and the PDA2k (both of which I owned and used extensively). As released however, it is simply an okay pocket pc device with great looks, innovative design and an amazing keyboard.

David
    Thanks for the clarification. For some reason, it looks big to me, like my old electronic Rolodex(remember those?). How does the phone part work? Or does it have a phone?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The mpx, as it turns out, was simply a "released prototype." Ever hear of the razorberry?

Besides my PPC 6001 IS A TREO KILLER IN EVERYTHING BUT FORM AND SMS.

SmsPro is a program that will eliminate one hurdle, and its already in beta.

As far as form, I'm fine with it, but others may not be. But I went through the same thing with the Treo 300. I'll take funtionality over form any day, so long as it fits in my pocket.
    Wait until you drop it or use it often. The 6600 demo was broken at one Sprint store I went to, and a guy on here dropped his on carpet and the screen died. I wanted that phone too until I saw the flimsy plastic and ugly keyboard on one demo, and the broken demo in a different store. The guy who dropped his on carpet and it still broke, convinced me never to buy this model in any of it's many forms. 6600, 6601, or SX66!

"Besides my PPC 6001 IS A TREO KILLER IN EVERYTHING BUT FORM AND SMS"

lol then it's not a Treo killer. Good luck with the exploding screen

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    For the record, I had my SX66 replaced, but my first one survived a drop onto solid concrete with no damage except for a couple of scratches. IMHO, it is very well built and solid. As far as the Treo, mine seems quite solid as well, however; there's reports on this board about Treo's getting a cracked screen while placed on a PILLOW!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I have dropped it. Twice on concrete, twice on tile, all from between 2 and 4 feet. Once I dropped it while standing up (I'm 5'11") onto concrete and it landed FACE DOWN. No problems except my start button takes a little more pressure, but not something I would even consider getting a replacement for.

Honestly, just go and enjoy your Treo if you are that narrow minded. I'm gonna go back to the pdaphonehome forums.... where stupidity is far less rampant, childish device defending is almost non existant, and while you people jump over here when you get BT DUN and wifi hacked (old tech that should have been out-of-the-box enabled), they've got EV-DO working on the PPC.

Enjoy your toy. BTW, check out www.newswireless.com

in the features section, you'll see an article on how a very powerful man in Europe was spotted with a 650 RUNNING WINDOWS MOBILE 2005. I think the article was called "What does PalmSource think about this?"
    A Treo running WM 2005 might make me look at the platform again, but only if EV-DO (or true equivalent) was included
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint
    hmm speaking of childish....

Quote Originally Posted by ardint
    I have dropped it. Twice on concrete, twice on tile, all from between 2 and 4 feet. Once I dropped it while standing up (I'm 5'11") onto concrete and it landed FACE DOWN. No problems except my start button takes a little more pressure, but not something I would even consider getting a replacement for.

Honestly, just go and enjoy your Treo if you are that narrow minded. I'm gonna go back to the pdaphonehome forums.... where stupidity is far less rampant, childish device defending is almost non existant, and while you people jump over here when you get BT DUN and wifi hacked (old tech that should have been out-of-the-box enabled), they've got EV-DO working on the PPC.

in the features section, you'll see an article on how a very powerful man in Europe was spotted with a 650 RUNNING WINDOWS MOBILE 2005. I think the article was called "What does PalmSource think about this?"
    Narrow-mindedness has nothing to do with it. Broken and flimsy displays do. And that guy's story didn't help. No broken Treos on display, all worked fine. Now where should I spend my $600, from what I was looking at? Hmmm.

I like PPC too, FYI. Why do many people on here think everyone is on one side or the other. Not me, I just want something that I like and that works. I liked the 6600, until I looked at working models and became worried about durability.

However, I must say the Treo didn't get good reviews on CNET when I bought mine, I got one anyway because it really didn't seem that bad when I looked at the display. Works for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    For the record, I had my SX66 replaced, but my first one survived a drop onto solid concrete with no damage except for a couple of scratches. IMHO, it is very well built and solid. As far as the Treo, mine seems quite solid as well, however; there's reports on this board about Treo's getting a cracked screen while placed on a PILLOW!
    I wish I could spend $600-$700 to find out if it really is durable, but considering the way the displays held up, I'm sorry but this model is a "NO" for me. And believe me, I was all set to buy the SX66!

I have seen horror stories on here about the Treo too. Stress cracks, screens that die just because a little dust got on them, etc. SHEESH! That's what happens when you make stuff in China or Taiwan, IMO. I've seen good electronics go bad when the manufacturer moved it's operations to China. HP for instance, don't get me started, LOL!

I have seen horror stories on here about the Treo too. Stress cracks, screens that die just because a little dust got on them, etc. SHEESH! That's what happens when you make stuff in China or Taiwan, IMO. I've seen good electronics go bad when the manufacturer moved it's operations to China. HP for instance, don't get me started, LOL!
    Well, HTC in Taiwan manufactures both the Blue Angels and the Treo 650, in addition to HP mobile devices.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Does that mean we're ALL stuck with crappy devices, LOL?

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Hatfields and the McCoys come on folks, if we all had the same device we would be fighting about CDMA vs GSM. Both phone are great and fun to use.
    There is very few people out there who have used both devices for and extended amount of time. By that I mean the PPC6600 and Treo650. I have.
    The Treo is a wonderful device, quick to the draw with one handed action, great size, build, keyboard, and the best looking screen on the market. I miss my T650 a bunch However I like my vx6600 more and more every day. For some of the same reasons I loved my Treo. Plus MS Voice Commands, Today Plugins, sync Software and EVDO
    The MS software has so much more to offer.
    So let this battle die with just the statement that the T650 has better phone integration. The PPC6600 Had more PDA integration and leave it at that.
    Then we can thank God that we live and a time and place where these tools/toys/diversions are attainable to US.
    Does that mean we're ALL stuck with crappy devices, LOL?
    No, there are plenty of good devices out and they keep coming. I just find one that does what I need well (enough) and that I like/want (enough). I try a few for however long the carriers allow, pick one, and then relax. I use the boards to identify options rather than guide my selection, and then to learn -not compare- my device.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Actually I meant because the manufacturer is the same. As the President pointed out in another post, there may not be any difference in build quality because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    There is very few people out there who have used both devices for and extended amount of time. By that I mean the PPC6600 and Treo650. I have.
    The Treo is a wonderful device, quick to the draw with one handed action, great size, build, keyboard, and the best looking screen on the market. I miss my T650 a bunch However I like my vx6600 more and more every day. For some of the same reasons I loved my Treo. Plus MS Voice Commands, Today Plugins, sync Software and EVDO
    The MS software has so much more to offer.
    Having used the Treo 600 and now the XV6600, I agree with most your post. We have a lot of technology offerings which are neither perfect nor useless. The Windows Platform has fewer limitations than the Palm OS. However, quality PPC software development is constrained by MS arrogance. It has significantly improved over the last few years though. My preference would be to return to using Palm devices but if Palmsource doesn't make major improvements, Palms will join the Blackberry/Mac/Betamax crowd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast