Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Narrow-mindedness has nothing to do with it.
    Heh...I think ardint calls anyone narrow-minded if people admit that they have options and choices outside of the Pocket PC range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Well, HTC in Taiwan manufactures both the Blue Angels and the Treo 650, in addition to HP mobile devices.
    Heh...please! The design specs speaks volumes for a phone's durability as well. If the phone was designed, from the ground up, to have durability features as well, guess what? Its going to last a bit better than a phone which was designed without durability in mind or one that had durability in mind after the design of the phone was done.

The same goes for everything you do.

HTC just plugs and plays what you give them as a design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Having used the Treo 600 and now the XV6600, I agree with most your post. We have a lot of technology offerings which are neither perfect nor useless. The Windows Platform has fewer limitations than the Palm OS. However, quality PPC software development is constrained by MS arrogance. It has significantly improved over the last few years though. My preference would be to return to using Palm devices but if Palmsource doesn't make major improvements, Palms will join the Blackberry/Mac/Betamax crowd.
    This is the first well-balanced statement about the scenario of the Palm vs PPC battlefield I have seen for quite awhile (besides my posts of course ).

Well said.
    I'd agree that contract manufacturers like HTC build to specs and that differential quality is more dependent on differential specs than on the manufacturer per se, and especially where it's located. Yet, companies that look for the lowest labor costs available also tend to go cheap with other cost factors. Thus, where a device is manufactured is a meaningful though indirect quality indicator.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    This is the first well-balanced statement about the scenario of the Palm vs PPC battlefield I have seen for quite awhile (besides my posts of course ).

Well said.
    "Well-balanced" for reluctant Windows users.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    "Well-balanced" for reluctant Windows users.
    I'm not sure Beryl is a reluctant Windows user. In fact, Beryl debated with me on other threads about the merits of a PPC device.
    I'd agree that contract manufacturers like HTC build to specs and that differential quality is more dependent on differential specs than on the manufacturer per se, and especially where it's located. Yet, companies that look for the lowest labor costs available also tend to go cheap with other cost factors. Thus, where a device is manufactured is a meaningful though indirect quality indicator.
    Yes, true but again, a device designed with quality in mind will still be more robust than one that hasn't where both are using cheap labour and parts.
    I agree that both phones have their stories of invicibility and horror stories of it breaking into 12 different pieces with falling on 3 inches onto thick padded carpet.

I am a perfect example. I had 4 Treo 600 replaced, one with a cracked screen.... all but the cracked screen do to manufacturer defects.

I have had 3 PPC-660x replaced, one with a cracked screen, all due to manufacturer defects. And one phone that should have needed to be replaced because of me...

The cell phone Gods must have a wicked sense of humor and love to toy with me! As far as the durability of the PPC-6600 I had one screen crack for no apparent reason and replaced without insurance bacause it could have been a stress crack.

Then I my next one was nearly invincible.

I went to take my son to see the Winnie The Pooh's Heffalump Movie. On the way out to the car, he wanted to race...so we did. Half way to the car, my brand spanking new 6601 fell off my belt (I guess I didn't clip it on all the way), slammed on the pavement, the flap to my Proporta case then fell open as it slid face up along the parking lot. As luck would have it, the phone skidded right in front of my son (who of course was running) and he stepped on it and slid about two more feet on the phone!

Man of all the stinking luck, waiting so long, finally being so excited to have it back, just installed everything just right that day, and now I saw it all skidding away with my son riding it like a skateboard!

To my 3 yr old's credit, he stayed up and didn't fall. But I was scared to look at the phone.

When I picked it up and finally opened my eyes, the first thing I saw were 5 pin sized dents along the right hand side and just knew that as soon as I turned the screen on it would be a perfect spider web for a cracked screen.....but it did not!!!!!!!!!!!

This is either a true testimony that the 660x really is well built or that the extra protection the Proporta case offered during the initial impact was well worth the case.....or probably more true to the point a lot of both!

The point is both phones have their duriability strengths and weaknesses a line of phones......and individually phone by phone.
    I think there should be more uniform industry standard. Haphazard and by-chance durabilty like what you mentioned isn't good for ANY device that costs as much as both of them do! I mean, cheap and also free phones have been more durable with NO defects! Amazing! If you're paying $300-$400+, you really shouldn't have to be returning 3 and 4 of the same model!

I'm the type that would just have forgotten about both lines after returning the 2nd or 3rd. You have more patience than I do!

Just out of curiosity, you aren't the cartoonist of that comic are you?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Just out of curiosity, you aren't the cartoonist of that comic are you?
    LOL! Nope, I am not Bill Watterson, the author of Calvin & Hobbes. Just someone who can appreciate his warped sense of humor.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12