1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some insight. I am trying to decide what Provider I should go with when I purchase the PPC 6600. Verizon has the device for about $600.00 while Compusa has the device through Sprint for $379.00 w/ a (2) year agreement.

The price isn't really my deciding factor. What I am most concerned about is whether the devices will SUPPORT EVDO. From what I hear, Verizon's CURRENT PPC-6600 WILL support Verizon's EVDO. But I can't seem to find convincing evidence that Sprint's CURRENT PPC-6600 will support their EVDO when it comes out. The best I have heard so far regarding Sprint's possible support of their EVDO is that UPGRADING THE FIRMWARE "might" make it compatible.

I really don't want to spend the money on something that I am only going to have to replace in the near future.

Does anyone know any "inside" info as to whether or not the CURRENT PPC-6600 with Sprint will support their EVDO, once released?

Some other questions I had...

What's the difference in the providers? I know that Verizon touts itself as the BEST...

Would I notice much of a difference between carriers once the unit is active?

Or does it just really come down to a Network Coverage issue?

Looking at the providers, here are the differences that I see:

Verizon: Costs me: $49.99 (Without a Verizon voice-plan)

Sprint: Costs me: $35.00 (Voice plan as I am told that you HAVE to get a
    basic voice plan at a minimum of $35.00 a month) + the $15.00
    Vision data plan. Of course I am being told that it's actually $30.00
    instead of $15.00

The only real difference I can see is that I am getting minutes to use with my plan with Sprint.

To Dispel some rumors: Does anyone out there know if it's true that you HAVE to pay for (2) Vision Packs when you get the PPC-6600? Is it also true that you HAVE TO get a voice plan with Sprint in order to get the unlimited Vision plan? I have read mixed reviews. Some say that you can get away with just getting a VOICE plan ($35.00 and up) + the $15.00 Vision Plan and others say that you NEED to pay for a voice plan of ($35.00 and up) + the $30.00 for Data.

Is there CURRENTLY a difference in the SPEED of the network (Internet) between Verizon and Sprint? I know that in areas where Verizon's EVDO is up and running it probably blows what Sprint is curently running out of the water. But what I mean is...WITHOUT the EVDO, what is / are the differences in the speeds of the BASIC networks if you ARE NOT in an EVDO area?

Lastly, one thing that I really would like to do is pair the PPC-6600 with my laptop. Is one network (Sprint / Verizon) FASTER then another when doing this?

Sorry for all the new-b questions.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by wirelesscop
    What I am most concerned about is whether the devices will SUPPORT EVDO. From what I hear, Verizon's CURRENT PPC-6600 WILL support Verizon's EVDO. But I can't seem to find convincing evidence that Sprint's CURRENT PPC-6600 will support their EVDO when it comes out. The best I have heard so far regarding Sprint's possible support of their EVDO is that UPGRADING THE FIRMWARE "might" make it compatible.
    That appears to be the limit to the community's knowledge on this. You can check out this link at the PDAPhoneHome forums that talks about it (also search "Sprint evdo" there for other threads). Bottom line is: No one seems to know for sure (or if they do, they're not talking). My take on it is: If Sprint was really close to rolling out this great capability, don't you think they'd be pre-advertising it?

Many of your other questions can be answered over at those forums too - make sure you reads the FAQs, a lot of pricing rumors dispelled. As for the classic "who's better: Sprint or Verizon?" you'll se plenty of discussion there. The bottom line on that seems to be "it depends on your location, your usage pattern, and the person you get on the other end of the phone when you call for support."
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Bottom line is the if you go an play with the PPC at Vz and SPC. Once you use EVDO you will never go back, you may even disconnect your DSL service, its that fast.
    SPC will be coming up on EVDO but they may also be booged down due to merger Bucks $$$.
    My2c
    verizon's network rocks. the evdo is what it should be if you're in one of the 30 areas... so basically you're saying: I want evdo, should I go buy the one that has it working now, or buy the one with a two year contract that might work when they get around to rolling it out, or maybe make me get rid of it to replace it with the same phone again at a loss.

Don't mean to be rough, I just made this call and am quite happy with my choice. You will have to get under the hood of the ppc6600 to be really happy with it, don't expect a perfect phone/pda convergence out of the box.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    ...Once you use EVDO you will never go back, you may even disconnect your DSL service, its that fast.

My2c
    This is quite a claim, g.711, and I love the sound of it. I had asked about this prospect earlier (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=76517) and Bob had said no. I'll be monitoring this and when it's real, I'll gladly shell out the $80 for Ev-do.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I had asked about this prospect earlier and Bob had said no. I'll be monitoring this and when it's real, I'll gladly shell out the $80 for Ev-do.
    Depending on what you use your internet access for, you could replace your DSL with Verizon's EV-DO. In Washington, DC, my EV-DO connection rivals my Earthlink DSL and exceeds my cancelled Verizon DSL (how ironic).
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    ditto the above. But keeping an eye on the future which is Fiber to the Home. Verizion has push hard for this here in the Dallas area they call it FTTP. Four cities in our area have it already and it is 5 times faster than DSL along with Video cable TV and VOIP. All through the same pipe. So as the speeds of the wireless move up so will the home connections.

Boy I've come along way from the classic bulletin boards at 12oo baud.
    g711 is making a good point,
    I think the name felios? has been used for this, and the specs are ridiculous, well more than 5x dsl I think the potential speeds top out at about 35mdown/5m up? point is... if verizon starts running fiber to its cell towers for evdo rev.whatever, the potential for their broadband wireless network will be unmatched.

That being said, the cable companies have every intention of hedging against this and offering integrated cell/wifi phones with partners like sprint... particularly once the phone company decides to get into the tv business... so all of this will be a wash and the discussion will have to happen again in a couple of years.

cable spec for data is theoretically maxed at 12mbps down and up. fwiw. (give or take a meg )

anyhow, still, right now vzw has the fastest network in the most places... if you want true wireless broadband they're the ONLY answer right now.

cheers.