Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1.    #1  
    Found this link searching for information on the upcoming HP iPAQ hw6500 "Mobile Communicator". It's positioned as a Treo competitor, but looks rather chunky -- granted it is more feature rich. The size comparisons are based on estimates of the HP hw6500 from pictures, using the SD card as a standard reference.

    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...50_vs_ipa.html

    Treo 600 GSM
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by klam
    Found this link searching for information on the upcoming HP iPAQ hw6500 "Mobile Communicator". It's positioned as a Treo competitor, but looks rather chunky -- granted it is more feature rich. The size comparisons are based on estimates of the HP hw6500 from pictures, using the SD card as a standard reference.

    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...50_vs_ipa.html


    Try this updated info.... HowardForum thread on HP6500...

    The dimensions are 4.6 x 2.8 x 0.8 (118mm x 71mm x 21mm) and the TREO 650 is 4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 inches (11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 cm). So, that's about 1/2 inch wider and a tiny bit taller and thicker. Not as much difference as that uberwhizzer site makes you think it is...
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergizmo
    Width : 2.9"
    Height: 4.95"
    Depth : 0.60"-0.80"
    hrm, ubergizmo was a little off on the height, other two measurements were pretty close
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  4. #4  
    Yeah, but their picture really distorts the relative width.
  5. #5  
    When is this phone coming out and who will carry it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    i'm putting a bet on t-mobile will carry first, but this thing might be popular enough to have an unlocked version
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    i'm putting a bet on t-mobile will carry first, but this thing might be popular enough to have an unlocked version

    I heard Cingular will be the first to have this one; not that much of a surprise since T-mobile didnt sell the other HP too well (from what i read in forums, take with g of salt) and it has EDGE compatibility. Seeing that HP wanted to release it mid April (now hear May/early June) it would seem they'd give it to Cingular who has a better EDGE network.
  8. #8  
    This is going to be interesting to watch. T-M dropped the 6315 for a few weeks and forced HP to fix some things because their support costs for these devices were too high. The fact that HP responded and the 6315s are back at T-M may signal that HP wants to work with T-M. We'll see... Go Illinois!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  9. jeeter's Avatar
    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #9  
    I'm curious. I'm really interested in this device, but I'm not very familiar with the Windows Mobile OS. One of the things I really love about my Treo 600 is that I rarely have to use the stylus. Using the 5-way, I can highlight and click on just about anything. Does anyone know if the little navigation thingy on the HW6500 behaves in this way? Do you have to use the stylus a lot in the Windows Mobile OS? TIA
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  10. #10  
    IMO

    One of the most undervalued assets of the Treo really is it's size and design. While it's mentioned often, I think many post are 'ditracted' in discussion of the softeware capablilities. The HP's are larder (even if it is a millermeter) and not as ergonomic as the Treo. Everylittle bit makes a differance when you use something as ofter as the Treo / HP products.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  11. #11  
    Well.. I grabbed fresh pics from the net and used these specs to build a correct comparison in Illustrator. The red boxes are exactly the same quoted size, in mm (can't get to trust inches, heh).



    So, yes, the original image was way off. Now let's place these two on top of each other:



    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    The dimensions are 4.6 x 2.8 x 0.8 (118mm x 71mm x 21mm) and the TREO 650 is 4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9 inches (11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 cm). So, that's about 1/2 inch wider and a tiny bit taller and thicker. Not as much difference as that uberwhizzer site makes you think it is...
    There's just one thing to note here -- we're talking small numbers. So an additional 1/2" on 2.3" is a full 20% extra width. And it gets worse if you multiply the numbers to get total face area (the iPAQ has a 26% larger footprint). The iPAQ is thinner and weighs less, though. So let's have everyone judge by numbers alone (all dimensions are in mm).



    Now I'm not saying anything about what features each device packs into its case... plenty of flames on that subject already!

    Regards,
    Chris
  12. #12  
    I think this device could have had promise if it were using the latest version of Windows Mobile - code named 'Magneto', as many folks have read about, the newest version has supposedly made great strides in making the device almost completely one handed. The hw6500 could have been a bog winner it were running magneto. Maybe it'll be available via an update, if that's even technically feasible...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by chriz
    Well.. I grabbed fresh pics from the net and used these specs to build a correct comparison in Illustrator. The red boxes are exactly the same quoted size, in mm (can't get to trust inches, heh).
    Don't forget to cram that Treo antenna into its little red box - that's a more accurate measure of its height when using it (i.e. pocketability). Need to add that to the overall volume too.
  14. #14  
    I don't know about you all, but I find the T600/T650 with a thin case to be about as large as I'd want in a poctekable device. I imagine the HW6500 would be pretty big with a case. Do most people put these things on a belt?

    On another note, I read the discussion at HowardForum and found it interesting that they are speculating about existing application compatibility on the iPaq given its square screen. I don't really follow Windows Mobile, but I gather this is a departure from standard screen dimensions?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Don't forget to cram that Treo antenna into its little red box - that's a more accurate measure of its height when using it (i.e. pocketability). Need to add that to the overall volume too.
    LOL... I know... it's just that the official Treo dimensions do not include the antenna (which is why i sized the images based on their width rather than their height). Mind you, the external antenna is probably a smart way for Palm to keep the apparent size of the Treo small.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by chriz
    Mind you, the external antenna is probably a smart way for Palm to keep the apparent size of the Treo small.
    I'm sure that's not lost on them. I'm sure reminded of it everytime I try to sit down with a Treo in my pocket.
  17. #17  
    Well... that's exactly what I meant by "apparent" size.

    Anyway, I wouldn't try sitting on a Treo at all, and if I did, I'd rather have the antenna remind me!!
  18. #18  
    No Wifi
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    No Wifi
    two versions:
    one with GPS and no wifi and 2 expansion slots (one of which will work with a wifi sd card)
    one with no gps but yes on wifi, but only one expansion slot- not capable of I/O

    on the point of keyboard integration into the OS- i think that after using the ppc-6600 for a few hours that it had better integration than other windows mobile pdas- but not as good as a treo. i think that the ipaq mobile communicator will be somewhere between the ppc-6600 and the treo. i doubt that you can ever have the keyboard/5-way ease of use in WM because there is just more going on in the os than on palm.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    two versions:
    one with GPS and no wifi and 2 expansion slots (one of which will work with a wifi sd card)
    one with no gps but yes on wifi, but only one expansion slot- not capable of I/O

    on the point of keyboard integration into the OS- i think that after using the ppc-6600 for a few hours that it had better integration than other windows mobile pdas- but not as good as a treo. i think that the ipaq mobile communicator will be somewhere between the ppc-6600 and the treo. i doubt that you can ever have the keyboard/5-way ease of use in WM because there is just more going on in the os than on palm.
    I did not know that. That does change a few things but what's the deal with the screen size. It doesn't look like standard 320x240 Windows PPC...?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions