Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    laugher you do raise an excellent point

but kenundrum a question and laugher as well...how is the multitasking? also i hear that with a PPC when you close an app it is never really closed, it will be closed when memory is needed, i find that kinda cool...whats it like
    hofo - I have yet to use any kind of multitasking for ANY PDA/convergent device. I guess if you're like me, the closest thing to multitasking would be playing background music while you're talking/working on the phone/PDA. I can't seem to understand anyone requiring multitasking on these devices. Its not like you're running a file, web or application server on the damn things! My advice is to lower your priority when it comes to this feature and how it weighs on your list of what device to get.

As for closing apps, it behaves like the Palm as well. Palm apps do not really close unless you get specialized apps which does this for you. The same applies to Pocket PC apps. And no - it does not automatically close apps for you when memory is needed. You need to go to a task list (Running programs) and close them manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    I can't seem to understand anyone requiring multitasking on these devices.
    I routinely drive around between clients, streaming music, voice-activated GPS on, making/taking phone calls while looking up PIM information. Hope that helps you understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I routinely drive around between clients, streaming music, voice-activated GPS on, making/taking phone calls while looking up PIM information. Hope that helps you understand.
    There's a bit of task switching which you are describing there but GPS while you're on the phone and playing music is a good example of the requirement for multitasking. Although I question the practicality of doing all those three things at once...I mean, how's your driving accident record looking?
    I suggest not touching any PPC device until 'Windows Mobile2005' is released, (slated for 'Winter 05' for you northern hemisphere folk, but rumoured to be running late due to legal issues with push email).
    It is meant to utilise memory in a 'non-volatile' way, and also has some form of push email. Lots more info on www.brighthand.com
    I doubt the 6500 will be released with 'Windows Mobile2005' installed, as HP are perpetually on the back foot!
    Cheers,
    James.
    So we have to wait that long, huh?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    ...I mean, how's your driving accident record looking?
    Heh! Good point. So far no problems, but I suspect it's because the GPS talks to me - if I had to look at the map much I'd be in trouble for sure! Otherwise, the BT headset helps a little bit, and mounting the PPC on a vent mount helps me preview incoming calls at a (safe, road-monitoring) glance.

When I play MP3s over the car stereo and run the GPS, the GPS commands come through the car's stereo speakers. You should see the expressions on some clients when they hear a disembodied female voice say, "Turn Left in 500 yards" in full stereo!
    Heh! Good point. So far no problems, but I suspect it's because the GPS talks to me - if I had to look at the map much I'd be in trouble for sure! Otherwise, the BT headset helps a little bit, and mounting the PPC on a vent mount helps me preview incoming calls at a (safe, road-monitoring) glance.

When I play MP3s over the car stereo and run the GPS, the GPS commands come through the car's stereo speakers. You should see the expressions on some clients when they hear a disembodied female voice say, "Turn Left in 500 yards" in full stereo!
    Sounds like a new toy coming my way. Which GPS system are you using?
    Right now I'm using Destinator 3 with a "no-name" bluetooth GPS receiver (slightly larger than the stock motorola battery it uses). I needed something that covered Western Europe and the US - Destinator had a special on that last month. Before that I tried MS Streets & Trips and Delorme's Street Atlas. Both worked fine for tracking, but had limited or kludgey routing capability. You can do a lot of research at GPS Passion to help you come to a decision - it's the "Treo Central" of the personal GPS crowd.
    You can do a lot of research at GPS Passion to help you come to a decision - it's the "Treo Central" of the personal GPS crowd.
    Ohhh....another forum for me to go head to head with you! I am charged up and ready to rock!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234