Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    I did say the "Average" Joe won't have your slender fingers.
    Someday you should study up on the use of smilies - they often help with the (apparently equally) challenging concept of sarcasm. My fingers are hardly "slender." There is no problem using the phone for me - the "average Joe" would also have no problem. Your misleading posts are a disservice to the readers.
    Yes. But I have colleagues who have the XDA II and IIs (PDA2K). Its a similar if not the same form factor and the problem still exists, although not as obvious as the II Mini.
    Clearly you haven't spent any time with both the Mini and the PDA2K form factors. The only commonality is the OS. The controls are radically different.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    There is no problem using the phone for me - the "average Joe" would also have no problem.
    That's your views and you're entitled to them. My experience says otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Your misleading posts are a disservice to the readers.
    I do not discredit your views even though I disagree with them. I was happy to state my experience and those of my colleagues as input. Therefore, I would expect the same treatment from you who appear to be very bluntly taking this all too personally and discrediting my views. Make sure you read and think before you answer with this response;
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Clearly you haven't spent any time with both the Mini and the PDA2K form factors. The only commonality is the OS. The controls are radically different.
    Doh. I am comparing your PPC-6601 with the XDA II/IIs. I was not comparing the II Mini. I make reference to the II/IIs because their form factor is similar to yours and they definitely have problems with their input using fingers.

    With your reference to smilies - I didn't see the need to be sarcastic. I meant what I said.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    That's your views and you're entitled to them. My experience says otherwise.

    I do not discredit your views even though I disagree with them. I was happy to state my experience and those of my colleagues as input. Therefore, I would expect the same treatment from you who appear to be very bluntly taking this all too personally and discrediting my views.
    Actually, your views sound like second or third hand opinions. You can certainly form opinions in this fashion, but then your views end up discrediting you, not my first-hand-experience opinions.
    Doh. I am comparing your PPC-6601 with the XDA II/IIs. I was not comparing the II Mini. I make reference to the II/IIs because their form factor is similar to yours and they definitely have problems with their input using fingers.
    Your previous post with:
    Yes. But I have colleagues who have the XDA II and IIs (PDA2K). Its a similar if not the same form factor and the problem still exists, although not as obvious as the II Mini.
    . . . struck me as another PPC-6601 (XDA II, PDA2K) comparison to the Mini. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

    As to your colleagues' fingers - I'm trying to imagine this homogeneous, finger-challenged group. Thousands upon thousands of 3.5 inch (diagonal) screen pocket PCs sold over the years and commonly controlled by fingers on screens yet your colleagues' fingers are suddenly too big for the screen. I hope they're not protologists! I wonder if the 8, user-configurable buttons on their phones help them with those big, fat, sausage fingers?
  4. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Actually, your views sound like second or third hand opinions. You can certainly form opinions in this fashion, but then your views end up discrediting you, not my first-hand-experience opinions.
    Well, to be honest with you, I have 4 colleagues sitting just around me who have XDA's. Two have bought the XDA II. One of them have a IIs and another one has the iMate version (PDA2K).

    They vary with their size, weight and height so there's a good mix of population here, within my immediate office area.

    They are ALL forthcoming with me. i.e. they respect me and they would be shot if they tried to do a sell job on me.

    I showed them your post and they said this;

    "This guy is taking you on a ride"
    "He must be a bit of a Nancy boy" - referring to your fingers
    "If he claims you don't take out a stylus, then he's kidding himself"

    etc.

    So yes, they are 2nd hand opinions but they come from 1st hand experience of others here at my workplace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Apology accepted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    As to your colleagues' fingers - I'm trying to imagine this homogeneous, finger-challenged group. Thousands upon thousands of 3.5 inch (diagonal) screen pocket PCs sold over the years and commonly controlled by fingers on screens yet your colleagues' fingers are suddenly too big for the screen. I hope they're not protologists! I wonder if the 8, user-configurable buttons on their phones help them with those big, fat, sausage fingers?
    Hehe. Maybe those thousands upon thousands needs to experience real keys (like those on Nokia/Motorola phones) or a raised keyboard (like the Treo)? I mean, if you don't know that there's something better, then you're pretty much in the dark. They have probably just accepted the screen deficiencies as a fact of life.
  5. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ^hey guys lets not cause an international dispute ...
    I think when it comes to a person's own baby (toy), diplomatic negotiations are out of the question. Shoot first and ask questions later.
  6. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    sigh......fine...just dont use any dingos okay
    I'll promise not to use dingos if you promise to keep your caribou in check.
  7. #49  
    Do you come from a land down under?
    With huge hands causing wonder?
    Can't you see, can't you see what's under?
    My finger tip, the screen it does cover!


    -- Apologies to Men at Work
  8. #50  
    I think you just outdone me. Ok, I know when to quit.
  9. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ^you have been banished to antarctica
    Actually, I was hoping I get banished to Montreal...I miss the parties I had up there.
  10. #53  
    ^stay out of my city

    but okay is anyone going to get the hw6500

    and well i have never owned a PPC, but ive always wanted too...and this one seems perfect for me...i wonder what kind of shock i am in for...or how i will get it
  11. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    but okay is anyone going to get the hw6500
    and well i have never owned a PPC, but ive always wanted too...and this one seems perfect for me...i wonder what kind of shock i am in for...or how i will get it
    I am going to wait before I switch again. But I am keeping a very close eye on the hw6500 and any PPC with keyboards. The main feature I will be looking for is how tightly integrated the keyboard has with the operating system. If I don't have to take out a stylus for anything but games, I will give it a serious tick in the box.

    But looking at the hw6500, I think the screen is a bit too small. I am working with a XDA II Mini screen here and the Today screen plays a major part of my PPC experience. I have the date, owner info, Spb Plus, Spb Weather (integrated) and PocketBreeze all displayed on the Today screen and it just fits nicely without the ugly vertical scroll bars popping up. The mini has a 240 x 320 screen.

    With the hw6500, with its 240 x 240 screen, I suspect the windows vertical scroll bar will be shown a lot. Not to mention, compatibility issues with certain applications and the absence or non-requirement for any landscape capability (for movies, etc).

    I recommend a HOLD for anyone looking at buying it. At the very least, wait to hear how well the keyboard is integrated with the OS.
  12. #55  
    ^MY EYES!!!

    hmm thanks for the advice...i wonder what im in store for if/when i change to a PPC
  13. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    ...Ok, I know when to quit.
    There's a 'laugher"...
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  14. #57  
    Hofo- there's change from palm/ppc or vice versa, but it really operates a lot like your windows pc, there's a start menu for cripes sake. once you figure out how to work the launcher it's really simple. there are some must have apps for ppc, just like there are for palm. i use both and i dont have any problems. they are both great platforms. i am interested in the ipaq messenger as much as the next guy. but for now i'm keeping my 650.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  15. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    Hofo- there's change from palm/ppc or vice versa, but it really operates a lot like your windows pc, there's a start menu for cripes sake. once you figure out how to work the launcher it's really simple. there are some must have apps for ppc, just like there are for palm. i use both and i dont have any problems. they are both great platforms. i am interested in the ipaq messenger as much as the next guy. but for now i'm keeping my 650.
    I don't think hofo has a problem with the windows interface, he is specifically asking for advice around the hw6500. Let's make sure Hofo gets the right PPC shall we?

    My negatives for the hw6500, to re-cap again, are;

    • windows vertical scroll bar will be shown a lot - UGLY and VERY LIKELY for a 240 x 240 screen
    • compatibility issues with certain applications - HIGH RISK
    • absence or non-requirement for any landscape capability (for movies, etc) - VERY LIKELY
  16. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    There's a 'laugher"...
    Kupe was just too good.
  17. #60  
    laugher you do raise an excellent point

    but kenundrum a question and laugher as well...how is the multitasking? also i hear that with a PPC when you close an app it is never really closed, it will be closed when memory is needed, i find that kinda cool...whats it like
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions