Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I keep hearing rumors that it's a 480x480 screen.

on the other side, it' alsa a strong indicator that it will run magneto as that is supposedly the first to truly support square screens.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    I'm curious. I'm really interested in this device, but I'm not very familiar with the Windows Mobile OS. One of the things I really love about my Treo 600 is that I rarely have to use the stylus. Using the 5-way, I can highlight and click on just about anything. Does anyone know if the little navigation thingy on the HW6500 behaves in this way? Do you have to use the stylus a lot in the Windows Mobile OS? TIA
    Jeeter, I am also interested in the hw6500's integration with its keyboard. Note my other post around the issues I am having with the Windows Mobile OS in http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=78347
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    IMO

One of the most undervalued assets of the Treo really is it's size and design. While it's mentioned often, I think many post are 'ditracted' in discussion of the softeware capablilities. The HP's are larder (even if it is a millermeter) and not as ergonomic as the Treo. Everylittle bit makes a differance when you use something as ofter as the Treo / HP products.
    Size and design were one of the attributes I use to make my buying decision. But I have a new one now that I have experienced the Treo; keyboard integration and the ability to use the phone one-handed WITHOUT pulling out the stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I'm sure that's not lost on them. I'm sure reminded of it everytime I try to sit down with a Treo in my pocket.
    Try a horizontal oriented case like; http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-25--153.htm

I use a similar one and have no problems with the external antenna whatsoever.
    laugher - that is an excellent point.

I don't think I appreciated the 600 untill some of the 'little things' it did w/ one hand were taken away on the 650. The 650 is still significantrly better then other phones, but your point is well made

I belive one of the negative points concerning the newest Blackberry was just this - the functionality was not one handed.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.

I don't think I appreciated the 600 untill some of the 'little things' it did w/ one hand were taken away on the 650. The 650 is still significantrly better then other phones, but your point is well made

I belive one of the negative points concerning the newest Blackberry was just this - the functionality was not one handed.
    I only owned a 600. What was taken away with the 650?
    There are some changes concerning the "path" of buttons you must press to reach certain features. There are only a few but noticable for former 600 users. I must belive someone new to the Treo line might not even notice them.

The main example often sited on TC is the 'Call log'. On the 600 I belive it was 2 'key stroks' (clicking of the 5 way button) where on the 650 it is 4.

I realize how minor this sounds, but, as stated above, being able to use a phone w/ one hand , efficantly is very important. In defense of the Treo - "show me a phone that does this 'one handed' thing better". I think it will be hard to find, thus the thread about this HP phone....
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I think this device could have had promise if it were using the latest version of Windows Mobile - code named 'Magneto', as many folks have read about, the newest version has supposedly made great strides in making the device almost completely one handed. The hw6500 could have been a bog winner it were running magneto. Maybe it'll be available via an update, if that's even technically feasible...
    Interesting Article: http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/2049
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}

If you mean the 7100 series, I have to disagree on this. I have the 7100t and although it certainly has limitations compared to the Treos -even the Treo 270, the device is actually even more one-handable than any Treo. The BBs don't even have touch screens, so there is NO stylus work to do. Also, the scroll wheel and ESC button at my thumb give me access to the whole device. There are only a few editing tasks that require holding an alt key and pressing another key or rolling the wheel. And -sorry, but- the key way in which it is infinitely/hands-down more one-handable is that it *never* has to be reset.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    Try a horizontal oriented case like; http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-25--153.htm

I use a similar one and have no problems with the external antenna whatsoever.
    Why would I want to put a horizontal belt-clip case in my pocket?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Well, anyone who's giving a serious look at this device has probably seen the official specs, but if not:

Go Here >>

The above link goes to the HP Africa site with final specs for the HW6515. What I have yet to see are any references to the anticipated battery life (talk time/standby time). I also haven't seen anything that mentions if the RAM is upgradeable. I hope that when the WM2005 OS is released, that an upgrade is available. I know that HP is targeting the BlackBerries with this release, but true push email from Exchange won't be available without this new mobile OS, so I'm hopeful.

I'm not as concerned with the processor being a bit slower than other current PPC phones and pdas, because my hope is that this was done in an effort to reduce battery drain. I also saw in some PDFs that HPs bluetooth stereo headphones and bluetooth folding keyboard with work with this device.

--------- Begin Soapbox ------------
    One thing I will definitely miss from the Treo line is the ringer switch. I know this is such a small feature, but it's so convenient to walk into a meeting and reach into my pocket to switch off the ringer without breaking stride. Or when I forget to turn the ringer to vibrate, having the phone ring and being able to switch it to vibrate after one ring without interrupting my train of thought. Having to depend on software for this kinda sucks!
    ---------- End Soapbox -------------

OK, I've rambled enough for now.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    This one is interesting. I was looking at the Mobile-Review web site and they had two different pages of HW6500 pics. There seems to be a difference in the design of the 5-way navigator on the two pages. Now page one has the seemingly stock HP photos of the 6500. Page two has real photos of the device and you'll notice that there doesn't seem to be an indention in the 5-way around the center button.

I wonder is there's a feel difference in the two. I probably have way too much time on my hands, but this is interesting nonetheless.

Page One >>
    Page Two >>
    Why would I want to put a horizontal belt-clip case in my pocket?
    You wouldn't. Try clipping it on your belt. Doh.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    I'm curious. I'm really interested in this device, but I'm not very familiar with the Windows Mobile OS. One of the things I really love about my Treo 600 is that I rarely have to use the stylus. Using the 5-way, I can highlight and click on just about anything. Does anyone know if the little navigation thingy on the HW6500 behaves in this way? Do you have to use the stylus a lot in the Windows Mobile OS? TIA
    I just use my fingers on the screen for the ppc-6601.
    Rodolfo - You're posative rewie of the 7100 is intresting. Most of the media was down on the keyboard capabilitles, including Mossberg. Goes to show it's the customer opinion taht real counts, thus the miilions of units sold (Rims in general). And, no resets would make me, and alot of other TC folk quite happy.

Thats said, the Rim stuff seems more focused as a device, taking your experience into account. The Treo, more capable on various levels. (MP3, video, program, etc). If Palmone wants to compete w/ Rim in the business world -time to get more efficent, stremlined, and focused.

Back to the original point of the HP: I can't imagin having one of those on my belt. The Treo is a bigger then I would like for my waist. Having on of the older HP's would not be any better
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubya
    I just use my fingers on the screen for the ppc-6601.
    On a small screen such as the ones found on Treo and hw6500, this is impractical...unless you're a child or your fingers are as thin. Even with a phone such as the PPC-6601, you have to have fairly slender fingers for an average adult. The point is, the Treo allows flawless phone operation without the touchscreen or the stylus. This includes searching for a contact in your contacts database, SMS, etc. The only technology on the Windows Mobile OS that allows a similar level of efficiency is Voice technologies but that's another argument altogether.
    Last edited by laugher; 04/09/2005 at 08:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    You wouldn't. Try clipping it on your belt. Doh.
    After all that you're telling me I'm forced to wear a phone on my belt because it has a stubby antenna? I didn't realize this was such a factor in my decision to return the Treo 650. I'll take an antenna-less phone I can keep in my pocket over on with an antenna given equivalent capabilities.
    Even with a phone such as the PPC-6601, you have to have fairly slender fingers for an average adult.
    I must have "fairly slender" fingers for a 6' 4", 225 pound person. Isn't your PPC phone experience with the O2 XDA 2 Mini? I feel like we've plowed this ground before
    (Here) and concluded both phones (PPC-6601, Treo 650) can perform most functions one-handed and both phones lack 100% functionality.
    i am very much interested in this product. Although i may wait for the 6700 to have the built in wifi.

But then again, the Sandisk card is PPC compatible so other than the fact that it buldges out wifi is available...

in all honesty ive always wanted to own a PPC. And this one tickles my fancy. 850, EDGE, QWERTY KB....and then it has all these extras which are great as well...a built in flash

one thing is bugging me is the fact that if they do come out with an unlocked model hp.com does not allow shipping...i would thiunk they would come out with an unlocked model as in the manual it shows pictures of how to auto select the settings depending on the carrier

so yeah getting here to canada will most likely be difficult...and with rogers having the 6300 now (only thus far available at compusmart) waiting for the 6500 may be like waiting for a bus that will never come

oh what a conundrum
    it also comes fully loaded i should add (in the box that is)

Unit
    1200mAh battery (1800mAh battery available for purchase)
    removable flip cover
    stereo earbud style headset with 2.5mm jack
    AC adapter
    cradle for synching and USB charging (if i am reading the data sheet correctly)
    stylus (really who'd a thunk it eh)
    Belt case
    documentation
    After all that you're telling me I'm forced to wear a phone on my belt because it has a stubby antenna?
    All I've told you was to wear it on your belt. If it doesn't work for you then there's nothing that anyone can do to force you to wear it on your belt.
    I must have "fairly slender" fingers for a 6' 4", 225 pound person.
    You must have. I did say the "Average" Joe won't have your slender fingers.
    Isn't your PPC phone experience with the O2 XDA 2 Mini? I feel like we've plowed this ground before (Here) and concluded both phones (PPC-6601, Treo 650) can perform most functions one-handed and both phones lack 100% functionality.
    Yes. But I have colleagues who have the XDA II and IIs (PDA2K). Its a similar if not the same form factor and the problem still exists, although not as obvious as the II Mini.

And yes, we have ploughed through this before but it was the Mini vs the Treo. Not the PPC-6601 and the Treo.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast