Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03...sung/index.php

The long term strategy would have been for PalmOne to hook us with great software. So far they've been doing just the opposite, and soon other hardware makers will eclipse anything PalmOne could do.
    Moved.
    You know what, that is dead on accurate. I never looked at it that way. Great post.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    The long term strategy would have been for PalmOne to hook us with great software. So far they've been doing just the opposite, and soon other hardware makers will eclipse anything PalmOne could do.
    Not so sure this phone will be successful.

Firstly, it looks like a camera so it will only really attract people who want a 7 megapixel camera who occasionally uses a cell.

Secondly, I for one would feel really silly sticking a camera (or what looks like one) against my ears for everyone to stare at.

Thirdly, it supports CDMA only. Further reducing its audience.

Good luck to Samsung.
    I think the major problem with the high megapixel cameras is the problem of storage. I think the standard picture size of a 5 meg camera is about 1 mb. Even if you store all the photos on a card, you still will have to wait while it saves it on the disk.

Being that it is a Samsung, it probably will have a ppc os (and probably more memory than the treo) but still...

I think this camera/phone will have a fairly small market (IMHO)
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    You guys are missing the point. Obviously this is just a prelude of things to come. But soon we will have 2 gig cards for $ 50 (which could store 285 pictures with no compression!).

The point is soon phones will have great storage (from iPod ideas), great cameras (from Samsung ideas), great phone guts (from Motorola Razor ideas).

Palm One has no edge in any of that. It had the smart phone market for 5 years alone and it never created good software that would be painful to leave.

The second better hardware comes, and this phone is a wake up call, I mean PalmOne is us giving us a 640K phone when 3 and 7 Meg cameras are around the corner, we will leave PalmOne.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    IMO most of us say “Who Needs the Camera, it’s a phone” But when we start seeing the cheep give away phones with better cameras that an $600 unit. Then it will become and issue. I think we can all agree that everything the 650 gives us should have been in the 600. The PPC software is becoming more stable and the vx6600 with EVDO is very, very interesting.

Oh by the way; the PPC camera is worse that the Treo go figure
    Last edited by g.711; 04/04/2005 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    You guys are missing the point. Obviously this is just a prelude of things to come. But soon we will have 2 gig cards for $ 50 (which could store 285 pictures with no compression!).

The point is soon phones will have great storage (from iPod ideas), great cameras (from Samsung ideas), great phone guts (from Motorola Razor ideas).

Palm One has no edge in any of that. It had the smart phone market for 5 years alone and it never created good software that would be painful to leave.

The second better hardware comes, and this phone is a wake up call, I mean PalmOne is us giving us a 640K phone when 3 and 7 Meg cameras are around the corner, we will leave PalmOne.
    Same reflection you had after the T600 came out, non of your Treo Killers happened then, an this isn't even a Smartphone, maybe when the T700 comes out ?