Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    We can only hope!!!!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Hopefully it's only a matter of time (maybe they'll build the Phantom V ).

Then we can all stop b*tching about Treo V PDA2K and wonder why nobody came up with such a simple design before
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Apple has partnered with Motorola for their iTunes phones. You won't see Apple competing with itself.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    There are plent of examples where Apple competed against itself. I will bet that MOTO may build the iphone as Apple will not want to get into the phone biz as we have all seen how hard it is for a new manufacturer to get traction. Look how long it took Handsprng/Palm1.

However I have learned not to underestimate Jobs.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Looks like it would fall out of your hand if you tried to use the scroll wheel. Still, good proof-of-concept. (I can never get 3D apps to light well.)
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    OK, you won't see Apple competing against itself AGAIN. They almost died when they licensed the Mac OS to other hardware manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Apple has partnered with Motorola for their iTunes phones. You won't see Apple competing with itself.
    But they have the iPod, the iPod U2, the iPod mini and the iPod photo (bare with me here).

We know Apple is incorporating wireless technologies into the iPod because of the various job postings specifically stating this very fact on their website last year. Can you not see an "iPod wireless" or "iPod phone", or whatever they're calling it, coming down the pike.

It is not competing with itself they have to worry about. It is competing with companies like Samsung and their new phones that play music and let you browse and give you access to files on its drive. THAT is stepping on Apple's territory. It is also rumored that PalmOne will be releasing their iLife Drive, or whatever it is called, in the next few weeks. Same thing also giving you a portable storage device and wireless technolgies.

The unfortunate thing for Apple is that Motorola went ahead and released their music phone hardware that was supposedly going to be holding Apple's iTunes software. Every feature on this thing is built with music and the iTMS in mind. But no iTunes! You can blame the carriers for this. There are reluctant, to say the least, to let Apple have profits from "their" phone and their service.

It has backed Apple into a corner. They may have to go it alone if they can't get some provider to subsidize for them. Not going to be easy, BUT, if it's a branch of the iPod line, people will be more willing to pay money for a communication device like maybe something called an "iPod phone".

I don't know if you realize this but about a week ago, Apple purchased SchemaSoft. This gives them open standards-based software that lets you extract the content found in common file formats, including Microsoft Office, Adobe PDF, Quark and others. You can then repurpose the content in standardized structures that is most appropriate for the particular need (HTML, XML or SVG; or vendor-specific formats such as PDF or Microsoft Office). It works on all versions of Windows, Macintosh, Palm OS and Symbian OSes.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Well, I agree that if Moto doesn't support iTunes on their music phones, the deal is off and Apple might go it alone. I bet half the teenagers in the country would immediately buy an unsubsidized iPod phone, if available. Verizon and Sprint shoud be VERY afraid if Apple does this, because it would almost certainly be a GSM phone ("Just take your SIM card and plug it into our iPod phone!")