Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver5, jlczl, lady treo -

My girlfriend and I are making the extremely tough decision between the treo 650 and siemens SX66 on the cingular network. Katie is already leaning towards the SX66 because she likes the smaller buttons with her nails as she feels that the treo is just too cramped with the raised buttons. I am so very very torn between the treo 650 and SX66; I think I am beginning to lean toward the pocket pc however what is your guys' (and gals) experience with the non EDGE support?

I will be doing mainly instant messaging, email, and web browsing and I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I know the SX66 obviously wont be as fast but is the SX66 network support 'useable' for browsing/IM/email (while away from WiFi).
  2.    #22  
    You may have to get a Media plan from Cingular for browsing and IM. But be careful, people have reported on here that Cingular overcharges.

As for me, since I have 2 lines, I may be trying both phones. So far Treo 650 is fine though. The keyboard is a little cramped, but what can one really expect from a compact PDA phone? They'd have to make it bigger for a less cramped keyboard.

Edited: Just looked at Rodolfo's post, he said NO you can't get the Media plans. If that's really true, go with the Treo if you really need browsing and IM. I may try it anyway because Chicago has lots of wi-fi spots.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/03/2005 at 11:50 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Many probably won't believe this, but the speed of my internet on the SX66 is about as good as on my Treo 650 w/ EDGE using Blazer. Once I moved on to Xino, I noticed a big difference. I believe the PIE on the SX66 is a better, faster browser than the Blazer in the 650. The EDGE advantage over the SX66 ends up not being so great if you use Blazer on the Treo. Bottom line, the SX66 is very good with internet use even without EDGE. I use it for e-mail as well (it works great), but I don't use sms (text messages).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The more internet browsing you do, the more I suggest that you go with the SX66. I'm having to live without my laptop right now and I only have my Treo 650 and 600 to rely on for connectivity. I really wish that I had access to my iPAQ 6315 now, and would love to have an SX66 to use. The Treo, as good as it is with PIM, email, text messaging and so many other things, is just not a good stand-in for a laptop over a short period whereas with the PPC I was quite comfortable in this situation. If you can work with the size, I suggest the SX66.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Many probably won't believe this, but the speed of my internet on the SX66 is about as good as on my Treo 650 w/ EDGE using Blazer. Once I moved on to Xino, I noticed a big difference. I believe the PIE on the SX66 is a better, faster browser than the Blazer in the 650. The EDGE advantage over the SX66 ends up not being so great if you use Blazer on the Treo. Bottom line, the SX66 is very good with internet use even without EDGE. I use it for e-mail as well (it works great), but I don't use sms (text messages).
    jlczl makes a very good and believable point. This is why it's good to actually try the devices (taking advantage of the trials all carriers offer) and see how they work for what you need/like, even with different software, and especially how they work in your neighborhood or where you're likely to use it the most. I try to optimize a very subjective cost/size/functionality/fun index and accept that another device may process something in 2 seconds instead of 4.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  6.    #26  
    Rodolfo, didn't you say you couldn't get Media plans for this model? ''The other factor was that it doesn't have Edge capability, though Cingular wants Edge data rates. The debate then -here- was whether you could get the 19.95 MediaWorks with it. In any event, the local store said no" It's listed on Cingular's site as included in the compatible list of phones. Treo still isn't listed although it apparently is. MANY posters on this forum say that they got Media service with Treo, Cingular must have forgotten to update it's site. Good thing that wasn't the most important thing on my list for buying my Treo, or I might have missed out on a fine phone.

Anyway, back on topic, LOL! Well I'd say use the PPC too for extensive browsing since you can get the Media plan. You have a bigger screen if you don't want to go blind, LOL! Just disconnect manually from the internet, I've heard horror stories on here about phones not disconnecting(still pinging the network) even though the phone is off, so you end up with $1000+ bills!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    As far as the Media Works Unlimited ($19.99), I have had it since it was introduced. Since it's attached to my sim and not my phone, I can use it on any device (including SX66 and Treo 650).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    As far as the Media Works Unlimited ($19.99), I have had it since it was introduced. Since it's attached to my sim and not my phone, I can use it on any device (including SX66 and Treo 650).
    Ditto. At least I think I'm getting "EDGE" speeds on my 650(as slow as it is sometimes). Cingular has me registered as having my Siemes S56 still. When i had my Sony Ericsson S710a it seemed even faster! I signed up for unlimited media net(internet) right before they pulled it. If the I-MATE JAM had wifi and Edge and slidable keyboard it would be blowing away the Treo. Blowing it away without a doubt. Actually there's quite a bit of real estate below that smaller screen they could implement a static keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Rodolfo, didn't you say you couldn't get Media plans for this model? ''The other factor was that it doesn't have Edge capability, though Cingular wants Edge data rates. The debate then -here- was whether you could get the 19.95 MediaWorks with it. In any event, the local store said no" It's listed on Cingular's site as included in the compatible list of phones. Treo still isn't listed although it apparently is. MANY posters on this forum say that they got Media service with Treo, Cingular must have forgotten to update it's site. Good thing that wasn't the most important thing on my list for buying my Treo, or I might have missed out on a fine phone.

Anyway, back on topic, LOL! Well I'd say use the PPC too for extensive browsing since you can get the Media plan. You have a bigger screen if you don't want to go blind, LOL! Just disconnect manually from the internet, I've heard horror stories on here about phones not disconnecting(still pinging the network) even though the phone is off, so you end up with $1000+ bills!
    Yes, LadyTreo, I did report then and above that the local store would not sell me the MW package with either the SX or the Treo (which they didn't have yet but was in their book). They showed me that their book had a large-font note on top of the SX66 page telling them that the MW package was not available. They were not affected in the least when I quoted TC members' posts . MANY people did respond as they're responding now. You've probably searched and found that people said either that they already had the package, or that they were able to get it by selecting it on the website. I don't doubt others (now); I just reported my experience. I may have been more skeptical at the time because some people were making claims even before the SX was available. If I had liked the device, I probably would have gone through the website selection because I simulated an SX order at Cingular.com and did see the MW option on the fourth or fifth step in the order. For those that have been able to keep it or get it, 19.95 is a good deal assuming that it is in fact full and unlimited web and mail access. That matches T-M rates and bests Sprint's premium rate for WinMobile devices.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  10.    #30  
    Why can it be ordered only online? I would prefer the store too. Maybe things have changed at the stores and you can now get it? At least for the SX66, because it says so on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why can it be ordered only online? I would prefer the store too. Maybe things have changed at the stores and you can now get it? At least for the SX66, because it says so on the website.
    I don't even see it on the website anymore. Before when you placed an order, the MW package would show up as a data plan option after you ordered your voice minutes. It's gone; now you can get unlimited data for PDAs for 39.95. For 19.95, you can get 5mb of data. Again, not good compared to T-M or even Sprint -assuming those are options for someone. I'll stop by the store to see what thery're saying or anticipating these days. What are they saying in Chicago stores? I'm going there this weekend and will try to check myself, though what I'm most interested in is what devices they see on their horizon .
    Well, here's some more current TC member advise on Cingular options: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=80585
  13.    #33  
    I think I'm going to have to forget about this device, or at least think about it a lot longer. I saw it's cousin, the PPC-6600 at 2 Sprint stores. The 1st store, I didn't like the quality of the casing for $630 and the keyboard frankly looks weird to me(red, white & black?). But I thought maybe I was being unfair. So I went to a 2nd Sprint store. This time the sliding mechanism was broken!! Maybe someone didn't know how to open it and broke it, but now I'm worried about how long this will last with everyday use.

I have tried both and I prefer the Treo 650. As a matter of fact the rest of my IT staff feels the same way. (for what ever that is worth)

SX66
    Pros:
    Larger screen
    Larger on-board memory
    Nice shell ( I prefer the metal vs. the plastic ones used in the Treos)
    Wi-Fi, if you can get it to work consistently

Cons:
    Buttons are too small and not raised enough
    Device form factor is too wide for one handed operation ( I actually use my Treo that way sometimes and it is handy)
    Windows OS is too much like Windows
    Slide feature is not easy to work with one hand.(The unit I had actually seemed like the slide mechanism was getting a little loose.)
    Slow data connectivity (GPRS)

Treo 650
    Pros:
    High screen resolution for PDAs
    Palm OS is simple
    Many Palm OS apps (many are free)
    Good thumboard ( backlighting is very visible)
    Excellent form factor ( the ratio of width to highth seems just right)
    EDGE!!!

Cons:
    needs more memory
    software seems a little buggy
    I want DUN features from the manufacturer without hacking it.
    The vibrate/audible key on the top if the device moves too easily to the audible selection if you use a "slipper" case. ( still looking for the ideal case)

I spoke with my Cingular rep and he mentioned that they will be carrying a HP PPC phone (6515??) within a few months. It is promised to have EDGE, a btter thumboard, like the G-100 and all the other benefits of PPC. If you are thinking of getting a PPC phone, I would wait it out for that one.
  15.    #35  
    Thanks for the info! I'd rather wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12