Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If I had a Blackberry and was using it privately, instead of with corporate email, is it still really push email? Basically, if I set it up with the Blackberry web client (I think that is what it is called), is it just checking the email every few minutes or is it actually pushing each and every message to the device?

I have a 6315 iPAQ that has email triggers, such that the T-Mobile servers check for my email every 15 minutes or so. When they get new email an SMS trigger is sent to my device in the background, telling it to fetch email. This isn't true push since there can be a 15 minute delay, but it is better than check at a set interval...depending upon how much email I'm getting.

Is the Blackberry, in every setup, really push?
    Quite the opposite.

The blackberry software, contrary to popular belief, is not true push email in EITHER the corporate or personal version. They simply poll for email every 15 minutes.

So if you have a similar setup, you are just as good as anybody else, and dont let blackberry users tell you otherwise!
    our director has one of the new blackberries, since we dont currently have bes this is how it works for him.

if you get email sent to the email address given to the phone, you get instantly. if, on the other hand, you set up the web client to check other pop/imap accounts, it polls them 15-20 minutes and then sends the mail.

you cant change the time inteval either.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    our director has one of the new blackberries, since we dont currently have bes this is how it works for him.

if you get email sent to the email address given to the phone, you get instantly. if, on the other hand, you set up the web client to check other pop/imap accounts, it polls them 15-20 minutes and then sends the mail.

you cant change the time inteval either.
    I'm considering the 7100t and here's what I've learned and some leads for you. The two server options are the BES -Blackberry Enterpise Server-, or BWC -Blackberry Web Client. BES will push all mail to your device instantly, whereas BWC email will depend on how you set it up. The T-M site explains it real well here: http://t-mobile.com/bwc/ I presume Cingular has had to set it up the same way to get the Blackberrys.

So, instant or push delivery for BWC seems to depend on either a) using the address that Felipe refers to as your "private" address -say, silver5@TM.blackberry.net- or b) being able to have your POP or IMAP mail forwarded to it. One nice thing I've read is that you can set up the BWC so that your replies read as though they come from the respective ISP or web address rather than from your device. BTW, T-M has a table somewhere of ISPs and webmail services indicating whether or not they forward mail -I'm sure it's mostly accurate, but I found at least one error. Here's a Blackberry mail FAQ source for you: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=680 Good luck.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Thanks for the information...and the link was very helpful. Blackberry, while nice for corporate users, doesn't seem like a significant advantage for personal use. I was thinking about trying it, but I think the Treo does just about as well as those devices would.