Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been wanting the Treo 650 for 12 months now. Waited for some of the problems to be worked out and now am about to buy as soon as the GSM patch comes out. Just how I am about technology, patient but want the coolest/best w/o being bleeding edge.

Them WHAM! Corporate tells me they won't support the Treo b/c we have Notes and BB has a better/cheaper solution. SO, I have to choose between the 650 or the 7100g.

I need to know people's experiences who were/are in a situation like me - wanting the 650 but possibly forced to go with BB. I have searched the forums but most people just want to know which is better. IMHO the 650 is WAY better for what I normally needed it for (PDA with integrated phone).

I use the PDA and Contacts in my iPAQ and have a SE phone (don't care for either). So either will be an upgrade. Here are my thoughts:

If I go with the Treo 650:
    1) How do I get email from Notes and what are the limitations compared to the BB solution?

If I go with the BB 7100:
    1) How bad is the Address book and Calendar?
    2) How good is it as a phone? - I use about 2500 minutes a month
    3) What will I lose that I normally expect from a PDA today (I don't have a lot of 3rd party apps on my iPAQ b/c I don't like it. Got it for free and it was a color screen upgrade to my Visor)

Pls keep in mind that I have to purchase either phone myself. Corporate will only provide the low end "free" BB that doesn't have BT (HFP is a must for connectivity to my car)

Thanks!
    Palm Personal -> Palm Professional -> Handspring Visor -> iPAQ 6350 -> Treo 650???
    GoFrogs,
    I am in your EXACT situation (there's more of us out there than you think).

My I.T. guy actually went so far as to say "I hate the Treo." So when I bought the 650 a month ago I knew I would not have much help or support.

Flashback forward to today. After driving everyone around me crazy (especially my girlfriend) with forum research and experimenting w/ different configs & apps, I have decided to send back the 650.

The app that supposedly turns the Treo into a Blackberry is called "Chatter". It is a push-style e-mail client developed by a 3rd party that sells for $32. However, the push capability (which makes it Blackberry-esque) cannot be used on Lotus Domino server because it does not support the "IDLE" command.

Cingular and Sprint have free software which has been the best solution I have found. Cingular calls it Xpress Mail and you install it on your desktop. The trouble here is that your desktop has to be running at all times since it treats your computer as the "server". This solution would not work for me since I have a laptop, and most of the time it is traveling with me in its case.

Others here may have different "solutions", but at this point no one with Corporate Lotus has this issue 100% licked and it will not be as elegant or reliable as the Blackberry. If anyone can say otherwise, I'd love to hear from you as well. We've been hearing about "Blackberry Connect for Palm" but that is anything but official and I wouldn't count on that being available anytime soon.

So, the 650 is an amazing piece of technology but it is not the streamlined e-mail device yet that the Blackberry is (for non-Exchange/Outlook users). If PalmOne had bundled a turnkey way for replacing the Blackberry, these things would be even more popular and I would not be sending back mine.

Good luck with your 7100 (if you want to save some heartache & time).

P.S. I now have a better idea of why my I.T. guy "hates the Treo" (he'd love it if he could get it to work, I'm sure).
    Toxie - you sound exactly like me. I want BB reliability and functionality but I don't want a BB.

I have Domino/Notes and struggled to use a Treo 600 (which I loved) for a while with VZW Wireless Sync (like the Sprint and Cingular offerings) until I couldn't work through Palm's time zone limitations. I refused to get a BB and now use a PPC which doesn't have the time zone problem but it isn't as reliable and secure as a BB.

Rumor has it that BB Connect is coming out on the Samsung i730 PPC but I wish it would also emerge on a Treo and make calendaring work as I travel. I'm liking my PPC but I don't like the idea of HAVING to use one.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxie
    The app that supposedly turns the Treo into a Blackberry is called "Chatter". It is a push-style e-mail client developed by a 3rd party that sells for $32. However, the push capability (which makes it Blackberry-esque) cannot be used on Lotus Domino server because it does not support the "IDLE" command.

Cingular and Sprint have free software which has been the best solution I have found. Cingular calls it Xpress Mail and you install it on your desktop. The trouble here is that your desktop has to be running at all times since it treats your computer as the "server". This solution would not work for me since I have a laptop, and most of the time it is traveling with me in its case.

Others here may have different "solutions", but at this point no one with Corporate Lotus has this issue 100% licked and it will not be as elegant or reliable as the Blackberry. If anyone can say otherwise, I'd love to hear from you as well. We've been hearing about "Blackberry Connect for Palm" but that is anything but official and I wouldn't count on that being available anytime soon.

So, the 650 is an amazing piece of technology but it is not the streamlined e-mail device yet that the Blackberry is (for non-Exchange/Outlook users). If PalmOne had bundled a turnkey way for replacing the Blackberry, these things would be even more popular and I would not be sending back mine.
    Thanks Toxie. That is good info. My work computer is a desktop, so I could leave it on all the time and have it "push" the email to me. My real concern is if the 7100 BB is a reasonable Calendar/Contacts PDA like the TREO and can I transfer my data over without major pain?
    Palm Personal -> Palm Professional -> Handspring Visor -> iPAQ 6350 -> Treo 650???
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    We have a Domino server running 80 Blackberrys. I am using Notes on a Mac and everything works fine with a Blackberry. But now the good news: Blackberry connect will be out in a couple of weeks for the Treo 650. No need to switch to a Blackberry. I am using a BB now for three years, but believe me, I think its too limited if you are a real PDA user.

I know about it very well because I worked for PalmSource showing off the Blackberry connect solution for PalmOS
    RTFM
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppi
    We have a Domino server running 80 Blackberrys. I am using Notes on a Mac and everything works fine with a Blackberry. But now the good news: Blackberry connect will be out in a couple of weeks for the Treo 650. No need to switch to a Blackberry. I am using a BB now for three years, but believe me, I think its too limited if you are a real PDA user.

I know about it very well because I worked for PalmSource showing off the Blackberry connect solution for PalmOS
    Sounds good. Is this something that my IT dept has to implement or can I somehow run/install this? The reason I ask is that my IT dept may push back as they are now just trying to get the BB solution working.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFrogs
    Sounds good. Is this something that my IT dept has to implement or can I somehow run/install this? The reason I ask is that my IT dept may push back as they are now just trying to get the BB solution working.
    There are two different things:
    - If your IT has already a Blackberry Enterprise server, they can use it with a Treo 650 soon

- If NOT, you need to have a BES to use the Treo 650 with Blackberry connect.

But there is another solution: Goodlink from Good.com
    RTFM
    Bear in mind, GoodLink does not support Notes..unfortunately.

Last I heard, we are looking at next year for Notes support.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Sorry I wasn't aware about this, albeit Palmsource is using Good

I am more on the Blackberry side because Good coverage is sometimes bad in Europe and - more important - there was a lack in calendar or address sync, I don't remember correctly.

But overall Goodlink seems to be nice from what I saw
    RTFM
    Actually, with v4.0 of GoodLink, if a carrier supports the phone (ie, 650), with Global Connect, you can use GoodLink.

Also, we sync all aspects of Exchange, so there is calendar and contact sync.
  11.    #11  
    There are two different things:
    - If your IT has already a Blackberry Enterprise server, they can use it with a Treo 650 soon

- If NOT, you need to have a BES to use the Treo 650 with Blackberry connect.

But there is another solution: Goodlink from Good.com
    I will look into Goodlink. Can a company implement the "push" email without BES? In all honesty, I really don't want to sync my calendar/contacts with coporate b/c I put personal stuff on their all the time. So I may be better off if I use the Cingular product on my desktop or possibly Goodlink. Anybody know if I can specify whether things are visible on the corporate server?
    But now the good news: Blackberry connect will be out in a couple of weeks for the Treo 650. No need to switch to a Blackberry.
    Knoppi,
    I hope you are right, but there appears to be much skepticism on this despite PalmSource's enthusiasm. Apparently, the folks at PalmOne aren't as gung-ho about BB Connect for Palm. If you have heard an official release date announcement, please let us know... it may keep me from sending back my 650...

Go Frogs,
    One thing you should know about Cingular's Xpress Mail product. Although it is free, it has certain limitations. The two most notable are:

1. Inability to view attachments in their native form (i.e. Excel, Word). It displays them as simple text and does not integrate with DocsToGo.

2. No way to add appointments to Xpress Mail's calendar via the Treo, although you can view ones created from your desktop (in Lotus). However, it is nice (IMO) that this calendar is separate from the Calendar app that comes with the Treo for the reason you mentioned - your work & personal appointments can live in different places.

Toxie
    I will look into Goodlink. Can a company implement the "push" email without BES? In all honesty, I really don't want to sync my calendar/contacts with coporate b/c I put personal stuff on their all the time. So I may be better off if I use the Cingular product on my desktop or possibly Goodlink. Anybody know if I can specify whether things are visible on the corporate server?
    GoodLink has a server component, very similar to BES, that runs next to your Exchange server. As for the mix of personal and business contacts/calendar, we do not support Outlook categories or multiple calendars yet, so if it is in your Outlook contacts or calendar, it will be in your GoodLink contacts, etc.

Knoppi,
    This is extremely good news but can you check on this?

Will BB Connect address PalmSource's inherent Time Zone problem for frequent travelers?

(When you change timezones, existing calendar entries will change to proper timezone but new entries will be pushed based on the server's timezone and not be properly translated by the Palm OS. The server needs to match the redirector. This is true for VZW Wireless Sync, Sprint BC, and any other redirector type of products. I haven't checked Goodlink because I use Domino/Notes.)

PPCs continuously translate properly for the timezone changes so after 8 years of Palm devices I'm learning to appreciate PPCs. I'd like to switch back since I do appreciate the Palm OS so I hope BB Connect resolves the issue.

It seems like a Palm hole that people like to ignore this PalmSource problem or cover over with Datebk5.
    I've been dealing with this for years and keep my personal and corporate information separate.

1. Set all non-company calendar entries as "personal". I use TV Browser and fortunately reminders are added as "personal". I find that even my assistant, who has full access to my mail and calendar, cannot see "personal" entries.

2. Don't let any of these programs redirectors, BES, or the like handle your personal mail accounts -- your Nordstom's Sale notices will get mixed into your company mail. You should use Snappermail/Chatter if you have a Palm or configure separate email accounts with Pocket Outlook.

3. Contacts may be a problem. It only goes to your local address book, you don't have to worry about you information becoming company-known. Otherwise, you should just turn that off.

I'm still struggling with the PPC contacts since VZW Wireless Sync doesn't have any import feature so I need a 3rd party app (Outlook) which works with the handheld to import/export company contacts. The Palm Desktop worked much better for this, IMO.
    Can anyone give me some instructions for transferring data(contacts, calender) from Palm OS to a Blackberry plz. Other than "use Outlook", thanks
    Has anyone heard anything about BB connect for the Treo? I may have to switch to a 7100 if this does not come out soon.
    I need to know by 7/27 if The Treo 650 can work in a BB world or I must get the 7100. IT will not activly support the Treo but will let me use it.

What to do? What to do?

Regards,
    Tom in Chicago
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    Will Palm support push email and notes? I need to swap my 600 for a 7100 if not. I would rather upgrade to a 650.
    You never lived until you almost died!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMike
    Will Palm support push email and notes? I need to swap my 600 for a 7100 if not. I would rather upgrade to a 650.
    This seems to be a common issue and I have yet to get an answer that I can verify and feel isn't a band-aid. Apparently you can use Chatter to get a similar solution to what you get with BB (without BES), but I'm not sure if it works with Notes. In the end, Notes is my corporate email and seems to be an issue regularly with anything. Don't see why there isn't more Notes support. I know it isn't the greatest (would rather have Outlook) but large Corporate America seems to have more Notes -- just in my experience, don't need the local statistician to tell me what % of the market is owned by Microsoft vs Lotus!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast