1.    #1  
    These are some interesting articles regarding the next version of Windows Mobile, codenamed Magneto. Most notably, while PPC's will retain their touchscreen capability, the new version of the OS will be ONE HANDED OPERATIONAL. Also, the second article deals with another Magneto feature, PUSH EMAIL. If Microsoft can pull this off, along with the other items mentioned in the articles, the title of the thread may be more real than we think.

And if thatís true, here's hoping for a VGA screen 6600, with double the memory, EVDO, swivel cam for video conference and better battery and processor. I will die from excitement if this happens.

Here are the links. First:

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/1921

Then:

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/2049
    That's not the bigget feature.

It's seamless transfer between WiFi to other other band.

other:
    -Gaming API
    -improved browser (not big deal really since minimo is out)
    -improved office app
    -push mail
    That screenie is identical to SPB PocketPlus system tab that I'm running on WM2003 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint
    Magneto will crush all!
    I still have faith in Prof. X and his uncanny X-men!

And a hellofa lotta faith in the Palm OS, I tried the Pocket PC thing and was cah cah. This is just a new release of cah cah in my mind.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    And a hellofa lotta faith in the Palm OS, I tried the Pocket PC thing and was cah cah. This is just a new release of cah cah in my mind.
    It's a new kernel. And it seems this kernel is design to stay around a little longer than its predecessor. (ie. it has higher modularity so OEM can customize hardware. It also support arbitrary screen and new Game API. So It will have tons of eye candy)

Cobalt and PalmLinux are still no show btw. This OS was suppose to answer Cobalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    This OS was suppose to answer Cobalt.
    Funny that Magnito is an answer for Cobalt.. classic Microsoft being one step behind. And i'll believe that crossover from wifi to gsm when I see it. I would be amazed if MS got it working first try.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  8.    #8  
    One step behind? So umm, where are the Cobalt products? Anything even announced?

At least the XDA IV is due out in by Summer/Fall, and it will have Mobile 2005. Are there any announced products with Cobalt at all? How many of those are smartphones?

If I recall, Cobalt was delivered to OEM's in Spring of 2004, and was so buggy no one wanted to touch it. Microsoft has some crappy, overpriced products, but Palm is no slouch in the "overhyped, late-to-market, crap" department either.

And I wouldnt be surprised at all if Microsoft can so seemless switching. I think it already has been done on Pocket Pc's, albeit only on the OEM level, not the OS level.
    Windows marketspeak.....How many years is XP out ?....last time I looked it still didn't have 50 % penetration on the corporate desktop. Every Win2k corporate purchase still gets recorded by MS as a "XP sale" and a "downgrade to Win2k".
    AS the uneducated consumer (that'sme) Magneto sounds like it has it all, and MS is in a better position the PalmSource. Everyone is taking about what could be the end of Plam (Plamsource / Plamone). I't sthe software that has madfe them, it's the software which will break them
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The wave of the future. I predict all PDA phones will eventually come this way.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Os...A108_Announced

When people find out how fast and efficient Linux is (no you do NOT need 128 MB RAM on an Linux phone), Microsoft will start losing market share to PalmSource.
    Iceman - Haven't we heard that about desk tops also?

I've never used, or had access to a Lunix based sysytem, but for years I've heard how this was the business wave of the future. Reality is much different - I work in NY on the stock market and everyone I know has a windows PC. Am I missing something?
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Linux is not common on desktops, but you can easily install it if you want to. Linux is pretty much the only PDA/phone OS you can get in China.

In the PDA/phone world, there are several OS's to choose from -- PPC, MS Smartphone (going away), Palm, Linux, and Symbian (Nokia). Most of these run on the SAME internal hardware. Why should we not be able to choose our own OS? I really hate it that, in the CDMA world, you have to go through the carrier to get to the phone.
    Iceman - Thanks for the Info.

So this new phone they are talking about, Zircon Axia A108, I would think isn't uncommon in Asia. By that, I mean the fact that it may have up to 6 operating systems.

Forgoing the CDMA world right now - A Treo which can run any operating system. Wow. The rumors of a Troe w/ win mobile now seem quite resonable.
    da Gimp

>>he only PDA/phone OS you can get in China.<<
    Iceman..that is a load of crap.
    I live in China and Linux smartphones are least popular here.
    In fact MS run devices are the most popular and most people simply prefer regular cell phones. The same applies to Hong Kong.
    I'll still opt to be able to choose what OS I want on my phone.
    I must say when the new wm2005
    sounds great.

When ever I phone comes with it I am going to jump ship from palm.
    I my self am not a M$ hater. I go with what ever is the best.

The hp looks super nice, im hopeing it has magneto.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I still have faith in Prof. X and his uncanny X-men!

Timmay

Some would say Palm is cah cah too. I guess it all depends what you're going to do with it.

Cobalt is nearly DOA. It's been "out" over a year, but no devices. It might not be vaporware, but mistware for sure.

I'm sure Magneto will take a couple revs to get right, but at the rate Palm is going, there will be plenty of time. One OS every seven years is not that hard to beat.

Maybe the frozen head of Ted Williams can foretell the furture?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Some would say Palm is cah cah too. I guess it all depends what you're going to do with it.

Cobalt is nearly DOA. It's been "out" over a year, but no devices. It might not be vaporware, but mistware for sure.

I'm sure Magneto will take a couple revs to get right, but at the rate Palm is going, there will be plenty of time. One OS every seven years is not that hard to beat.

Maybe the frozen head of Ted Williams can foretell the furture?
    ouch! Poor Teddy ball game...
    The ones I love..

Twittering about