Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    There is truth to both TonyH's statements and laugher's.

One if you need a keyboard, then you need a keyboard. Its not just an input method, its also a secondary *interface* alongside the touchscreen. Dont confuse the two. For input, you have tons of options like the transcriber (which is fantastic). But I
    if you need that interface to operate the device with one hand, like I do, you need a keyboard.

Secondly I agree with TonyH in that my PPC is in fact *more* stable than any of my Treo's ever were (while doing far more). While laugher may be having more problems, I think there is another culprit (either lack of memory, bad install, some poorly writen program, or a combination therein). I suspect that the stability issue can and will be fixed for him soon, but the interface issue (lack of keyboard) will be bad until another unit suits him better.

Third, yes programs are larger on the PPC. But A) thats why they come with 2-4 times more than the Treo and B) I still think the 10MB estimation for combined storage/program memory is a little on the high side.

Bottom line, PPC has the edge in almost all areas with the exception of form factor with a keyboard. I personally LOVE the form factor on my ppc-6001, but I understand not everyone does. Its too bad, because I am certain that if laugher had gotten one instead of his Mini, he would have gotten over the size fairly quickly as his usability went through the roof.

Incidentally, you mentioned you were moving apps to the SD card, what is the memory situation now?

Also, those with a Mini should try contact breeze as their dialer. Use your finger on the oversized screen buttons, and you'll be just as fast as you were on the Treo, I know I am faster after using it for some time now!
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    And even if you did need to take the Treo out, how does that compare to the brick-sized XDA, XDA II and IIs? Your Treo would actually look more like a phone next to theirs.
    If it weren't for the fact that I prefer compact, the PPC phones aren't really that bad IMO(but thanks for the memory warning). They just take up room lengthwise. They are thinner than they used to be, which is good. But the length makes it kind of cumbersome to pull them out. Then the pull down keyboard some have really makes them longer in your hand! For me, I prefer something that fits my hand a bit better. JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint
    if you need that interface to operate the device with one hand, like I do, you need a keyboard.
    ardint, thanks for the fair assessment. The keyboard is immensely useful. I think Palm/Handspring has done an excellent job of integrating it with the phone. Something that can be done with the PPC platform as well...if Microsoft and PPC platform makers is listening.

Bottom line, PPC has the edge in almost all areas with the exception of form factor with a keyboard. I personally LOVE the form factor on my ppc-6001, but I understand not everyone does. Its too bad, because I am certain that if laugher had gotten one instead of his Mini, he would have gotten over the size fairly quickly as his usability went through the roof.
    That's a mighty claim there...I'll do a little digging on the ppc-6001 device. Anyone want to lend me theirs?

Incidentally, you mentioned you were moving apps to the SD card, what is the memory situation now?
    ardint - I've moved as much as the OS will allow. I am now sitting on 20Mb of memory available (another 1 Mb recovered after some more persistent reconfiguration including a manual explorer move of an application). I won't say my problems have gone yet until I get out of the Easter holiday period and back into work where I use the device more intensely so watch this space.

Also, those with a Mini should try contact breeze as their dialer. Use your finger on the oversized screen buttons, and you'll be just as fast as you were on the Treo, I know I am faster after using it for some time now!
    I'm looking for it now as I type (in the background, of course).
    if I were Microsoft, I would improve the way the Phone application is used to search for contacts. For example, that predictive search capability where you type in numbers to look for your contact is ABSURD. I mean it relies on the fact that you are more familiar with a contact's telephone number instead of their name! For example, if John Smith's number is 412-645-4111, you wouldn't type out John, Smith or JSmith. You would start typing out 41264...and then John Smith will be listed. Doh!
    I just type in letters of an individual's name (first or last) and the list constrains more and more to meet the pattern. Works great with my 900+ entry phone book. Am I missing something here?
    Another thing that can be easily improved upon is the messaging application (used for SMS). When you start it, the To: field is highlighted. But this To: field is not linked to the Contacts database at all. You have to click on the contacts application link at the bottom of the application, to start the Contacts application.
    Here's a tip: You can either click on the "to:" at the top to open the contacts app, or just start typing the name/address (while the "to:" area is highlighted) and a constrained list of possible matches pops right up in a scrollable selector box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    If it weren't for the fact that I prefer compact, the PPC phones aren't really that bad IMO(but thanks for the memory warning). They just take up room lengthwise. They are thinner than they used to be, which is good. But the length makes it kind of cumbersome to pull them out.
    I feel that way about my Treo 650's antenna. Makes it slightly longer than my 6600 and makes it seem more fragile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I feel that way about my Treo 650's antenna. Makes it slightly longer than my 6600 and makes it seem more fragile.
    What's the full name of the 6600, please? Is that the Audiovox PPC6600(now the 6601)? The Treo is only slightly longer by the antenna? Is it really that small? I saw a video on the net so I thought it was somewhat long(for my hands) when the keyboard is slid out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Lady Treo-

It goes by several names: Audiovox 6001/6000 on Sprint (for noncamera/camera version, respectively)

Verizon has the Audiovox, but they stick a "VX" in front of the numbers. Cingular calls it the SX66. They are just rebranded, the company that actually manufactures it is HTC.

As far as size goes, it is slightly shorter than the Treo antenna with the slider *closed* and slightly *longer* when opened. But it has 3 major benefits going for it.

1. The device has good weight management. What that means is sliding the screen up and holding the device by the keyboard feels solid. Those who have types on that Sony Smartphone know what it is like to be typing on a cracker. That is not the case here.

2. The device has many programable buttons, 8 on the main device, accessible when the slider is open or shut, and one additional on the thumboard. All can be changed to whatever the user wants.

3. Because the screen is physically larger, using your finger to navigate is easy, much easier than laugher says his mini is (never used it so I wouldn't know myself) But he did say it was hard to open the start menu. On mine, I can do it *very* easily, and I have fat sausage fingers. I also have a hardkey to access it, so I dont really need to, but for other things, I can navigate fine without the stylus.

Overall, it does take some getting used to, but now that I have, it feels just as natural as the Treo. One caveat though. If you have short fingers, it may be hard to type on the thumboard because of its width. Something you'll have to try to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    No one will benefit from your experience, other than Treo fanatics, like you. The truth of the matter is that Treo lovers will find any excuse to justify their strange love for a Treo 600 or 650 no matter how foolish their Treo makes them look before their clients.

Well, I for one. am tired of looking like a fool before my clients. I will not embarrase myselef anymore by having my device reset itself before tota strangers.
    Wow! I was really drunk last night. Even my typing was slurry. LOL

I did not really want to drag out the fruitless pissing contest. I usually stay away from such contests, and don't care what anyone buys; PPC or Treo.

My apologies for the unnecessary post. I'll steer away from Laugher's long winded posts to save my sanity.
    Lady Treo-

It goes by several names: Audiovox 6001/6000 on Sprint (for noncamera/camera version, respectively)

Verizon has the Audiovox, but they stick a "VX" in front of the numbers. Cingular calls it the SX66. They are just rebranded, the company that actually manufactures it is HTC.

As far as size goes, it is slightly shorter than the Treo antenna with the slider *closed* and slightly *longer* when opened. But it has 3 major benefits going for it.

1. The device has good weight management. What that means is sliding the screen up and holding the device by the keyboard feels solid. Those who have types on that Sony Smartphone know what it is like to be typing on a cracker. That is not the case here.

2. The device has many programable buttons, 8 on the main device, accessible when the slider is open or shut, and one additional on the thumboard. All can be changed to whatever the user wants.

3. Because the screen is physically larger, using your finger to navigate is easy, much easier than laugher says his mini is (never used it so I wouldn't know myself) But he did say it was hard to open the start menu. On mine, I can do it *very* easily, and I have fat sausage fingers. I also have a hardkey to access it, so I dont really need to, but for other things, I can navigate fine without the stylus.

Overall, it does take some getting used to, but now that I have, it feels just as natural as the Treo. One caveat though. If you have short fingers, it may be hard to type on the thumboard because of its width. Something you'll have to try to find out.

So, the Audiovox PPC6000 and the Siemens SX66 are the same? No wonder they look alike, LOL! I wanted the GSM Siemens, though. CDMA isn't used worldwide. Thanks for the info! I may still try it out as my 2nd phone( or 1st depending on how much I like it).

Actually, the SX66, while having the same physical shape, is different. It has a GSM radio, and it has built-in WiFi, but does not come with a camera.

Audiovox PPC6600 - CDMA w/camera - Sprint
    Audiovox PPC6601- CDMA w/o camera - Sprint
    Audiovox XV6600 - CDMA-EVDO comes with or without camera - Verizon
    Siemens SX66 - GSM/GPRS, no camera, built-in WiFi - Cingular
    Yes, that's why I asked in another thread if anyone had the GSM model, I want to be able to use the phone worldwide. I have Sprint as well as Cingular, but GSM is the world mode, and I don't know why most US companies are still behind in this. I don't need a camera on a phone anyway, Wi-Fi would be more important to me.

Sounds like that's the model to go with, but only Cingular carries it. T-Mobile just happened to recall that HP model I wanted to look at in favor of another one that we have to wait until late spring to look at. We really don't have good GSM phone options here. I wish I could buy a phone from overseas, but then they freak out over here if the phone needs service. Someone I know got a phone in Asia and it got confiscated by Nokia when he sent it for service, because the advanced technology it had wasn't supposed to be seen here in the US. What, we're supposed to be behind the rest of the world now when it comes to cell phones??? Wasn't the cell phone invented here, what happened?? Sorry for the rant, just wondering why our choices for GSM service and phones are so limited over here.

You can use SX66 on T-Mobile. I used mine with both Cingular and TMobile, but cancelled TMo because of their coverage and speed. The SX66 comes unlocked. It is the only phone that Cigular sells unlocked out of the box.
  12.    #112  
    I just type in letters of an individual's name (first or last) and the list constrains more and more to meet the pattern. Works great with my 900+ entry phone book. Am I missing something here?
    Kupe, I turned on the feature again after I read this and tried it. It still does something funny and I realise what it was after I played with it for an hour. Our organization's phone book is screwed as it has a few numbers in the name field as well. This really throws the phone application's ability to search for contacts. Doh.

BTW - we have 2500 entries in our organization's phone book and the performance is really atrocious. How is the performance for 900+ entries?

Here's a tip: You can either click on the "to:" at the top to open the contacts app, or just start typing the name/address (while the "to:" area is highlighted) and a constrained list of possible matches pops right up in a scrollable selector box.
    Yes, but the point I was trying to make was that all this still requires you to take your stylus out. If you use the down button to list the last ten (or whatever) contacts you have SMS'ed or dialled, it would allow me to bypass the contact entries and go straight into my SMS text.
  13.    #113  
    Wow! I was really drunk last night. Even my typing was slurry. LOL

I did not really want to drag out the fruitless pissing contest. I usually stay away from such contests, and don't care what anyone buys; PPC or Treo.
    LOL...Is that why we had your injections during this thread to the effect of;

So, what's the outcome of this long winded thread? You hate the XDA II mini, and you love your Treo600. That's fine by me. We all have choices to make and live by them. I'm much happier with my PPC6600 compared to the former Treo 650, but I'm still waiting for a better device, and hopefully the MDA IV or Samsung i730 may fit that bill. Treo is not the answer to having problems with one particular PPC phone. Its memory is too constricted. It's constant and random resets are annoying and unproductive, unless you use it to impress your friends from time to time.
    And...

If you like the Treo, get it, enjoy it, sleep with it. If you like a PPC flavored phone, do the same. I've seen enough pissing contests about this subject. It reminds me of democrats vs. republicans political chat (lots of barking, but no substance, and generally negative outcome)

My apologies for the unnecessary post. I'll steer away from Laugher's long winded posts to save my sanity.
    The only reason why my posts are long winded is because you people keep pissing (pardon my language) in it. If you avoid these comments altogether, you wouldn't get people like me doing work in correcting the wind direction.

Again, let's avoid the personal remarks please.
    Our organization's phone book is screwed as it has a few numbers in the name field as well. This really throws the phone application's ability to search for contacts. Doh.
    Not in my case. I have several "names" that are numbers or contain numbers. The contacts app doesn't seem to care. It constrains the list further and further so long as what you type is in the first or last name fields.
    BTW - we have 2500 entries in our organization's phone book and the performance is really atrocious. How is the performance for 900+ entries?
    It's instantaneous response (literally) with up to 2000 entries (I have accidentally duplicated my phonebook syncing itand didn't notice for a few days :rolleyes: ). If you're having trouble with 2500, I would suspect the processor speed/number of processes before I would suspect the app. It's one of the gotchas of a multi-tasking PDA.
    Yes, but the point I was trying to make was that all this still requires you to take your stylus out. If you use the down button to list the last ten (or whatever) contacts you have SMS'ed or dialled, it would allow me to bypass the contact entries and go straight into my SMS text.
    That was my point - if you just open up the text messaging dialog (new or reply) and begin typing the individual's address, you get the pop-up dialog with the contrained list of choices. No stylus action required. It's quite convenient, but not as simple as the Treo.
  15.    #115  
    Not in my case. I have several "names" that are numbers or contain numbers. The contacts app doesn't seem to care. It constrains the list further and further so long as what you type is in the first or last name fields.
    I'm not sure what it is then...scrolling down, it does have quite a few weird entries in the address book. I suspect the bigger the organization, the more rampant its issues.

It's instantaneous response (literally) with up to 2000 entries (I have accidentally duplicated my phonebook syncing itand didn't notice for a few days ). If you're having trouble with 2500, I would suspect the processor speed/number of processes before I would suspect the app. It's one of the gotchas of a multi-tasking PDA.
    No other apps running. The XDA II Mini is supposed to have a faster processor than both the XDA II and IIs.

That was my point - if you just open up the text messaging dialog (new or reply) and begin typing the individual's address, you get the pop-up dialog with the contrained list of choices. No stylus action required. It's quite convenient, but not as simple as the Treo.
    I think, as you pointed out here, that there are a few things that could be done to make the phone operation, one handed.

For example, using the D-pad and specifically, the up/down key to scroll to different fields is also missing. For example, if I have entered the person I want to SMS, I can't use the D-pad (again without using the stylus) to jump to the Subj field and then again to jump to the message field (where I have to get the stylus out at this point because of the lack of keyboard).

The Treo allows this operation in the Treo 600. That phone has been out for awhile now. Has Microsoft just been sitting on its laurels instead of looking at what the competition is doing better?
    You can use SX66 on T-Mobile. I used mine with both Cingular and TMobile, but cancelled TMo because of their coverage and speed. The SX66 comes unlocked. It is the only phone that Cigular sells unlocked out of the box.
    Unlocked? Great! Thanks for the info!

LOL...Is that why we had your injections during this thread to the effect of;

And...

The only reason why my posts are long winded is because you people keep pissing (pardon my language) in it. If you avoid these comments altogether, you wouldn't get people like me doing work in correcting the wind direction.

Again, let's avoid the personal remarks please.
    The more you answer this guy the longer winded he gets. Is this normal in Australia? Do they work less, so they have more time to devote to the internet? Just wondering. No reply necessary. Forget it. This thread is on ignore now.
  18.    #118  
    This thread is on ignore now.
    Thank you.
    I suspect the bigger the organization, the more rampant its issues.
    Heh - might be true with software too.
    I think, as you pointed out here, that there are a few things that could be done to make the phone operation, one handed.
    Agreed. While overall, I feel my 6600 one-handed operation is better than the 650, in this case the 650 is better.
    Has Microsoft just been sitting on its laurels instead of looking at what the competition is doing better?
    There was a big improvement between PPC 2002 and the WM2003, but as we all know, Microsoft doesn't often get it right on the first (second, third . . .) try. Now it seems they're close enough to "good enough" now for Palm One to stick that operating system into their Treo form factor.
    I heard that before on here, is that really true? Isn't that shooting themselves in the foot? They have their own signature OS, why not just work on improving that? Why sell the big monopoly's OS? But I also heard the next version of Palm is supposed to be Linux-based. That would better IMO. Which rumor is closer to the truth? I really WOULDN'T want to see Windows on a Treo, competition is a GOOD thing

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast