Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 145
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Touché mate; but this confounds the conundrum: not owning the devices would have been a dandy explanation for your perplexing posts.
    Rodolfo - its pretty damn distressing on my end as well especially when I know what I am seeing on my XDA II Mini to be real and have a bunch of guys tell me I am absolutely wrong. I think a lot of these people actually have full blown memory configurations in XDA II and XDA IIs and other variants of the PPC platform. That is why they aren't seeing what I am seeing.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    Cool, I used to live in Sydney (Lane Cove) where are you at?
    La Perouse. Why did you go back? Get home sick? I assume, of course, you are originally from the UK.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    La Perouse. Why did you go back? Get home sick? I assume, of course, you are originally from the UK.
    Ah la Perouse, I used to go diving there (the scene in MI2 where he races over a wooden bridge on a motorbike while being chased by the bad guys was filmed there too)

    We went back to be a bit closer to friends and family.. also the work situation was a bit unstable and since my visa was linked to work that was a risk too.
    I'm originally from Holland (hence the flag in the avantar)
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    Ah la Perouse, I used to go diving there (the scene in MI2 where he races over a wooden bridge on a motorbike while being chased by the bad guys was filmed there too)
    Yep. There was a lot of traffic that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    We went back to be a bit closer to friends and family.. also the work situation was a bit unstable and since my visa was linked to work that was a risk too. I'm originally from Holland (hence the flag in the avantar)
    Sounds like you didn't want to go...I, on the other hand, want to see Europe.
    BTW - shouldn't we be carrying this kind of conversation offline and off this topic?
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher
    Yep. There was a lot of traffic that day.

    Sounds like you didn't want to go...I, on the other hand, want to see Europe.
    BTW - shouldn't we be carrying this kind of conversation offline and off this topic?
    Bit of a mixed bag... Really loved australia, but also hated the distance..

    and BTW hate to admit it, but I'm afraid you are right..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  6. #86  
    man - sounds like you made a horrible choice when you got that xda thing - but i won't be buying again anytime soon - so i guess the point is moot - or mute - whichever
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    juice, that's a interesting looking device, but why is there water all over it. is it water - resistant?
    I guess he's trying to say that his device has almost everything, including waterproofing.
  8.    #88  
    While we are all on the topic of memory (seems like my feedback/review got twisted into that direction), here's another symptom;

    Having tuned the memory so that it allows me to sit on 19Mb with GSM phone connected (yes, even the GSM connection chews up some memory), I watched it drop to 16.7Mb during activesync (hotsync to the Palm world). After I disconnected the USB cable and killed the ActiveSync process, it recovered 0.1Mb and rose to 16.8Mb of available memory.

    I have left the XDA II Mini alone for an hour and it still remained at 16.8Mb (hoping there would be some kind of internal house keeping).

    ActiveSync alone takes out 2.2Mb of memory! I guess the O2 people should have plugged 128Mb into this thing.
  9. #89  
    So, what's the outcome of this long winded thread? You hate the XDA II mini, and you love your Treo600. That's fine by me. We all have choices to make and live by them. I'm much happier with my PPC6600 compared to the former Treo 650, but I'm still waiting for a better device, and hopefully the MDA IV or Samsung i730 may fit that bill. Treo is not the answer to having problems with one particular PPC phone. Its memory is too constricted. It's constant and random resets are annoying and unproductive, unless you use it to impress your friends from time to time.
  10. Loukas's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #90  
    This is an interesting thread, mostly because I was planning to get an XDA II mini by this summer (or Jam here in the UK). I currently have a Treo 600, which I use mostly for the Phone functions, synching my schedule from Outlook and viewing it using Agendus as well as SMS'ing, in that order. No emails or www as GPRS is very expensive here and very few games / mp3's.

    I like the form factor of the XDA IImini, I believe it's sexier than the Treo. But that's always subjective. I furthermore believe that it will be able to fulfill all my daily needs as far as phone / agenda, but am worried about SMS and appointment entry as it doesn't have a keyboard.

    The question I am trying to decide is, how much will the lack of keyboard annoy me... I send about 100-150 txts per month.

    Orange will be coming out with both the Treo 650 and the XDA II mini (M500 on Orange) by this summer, and they also currently have the XDA IIs (M2000 on Orange). I can get either one of them as an upgrade for free, due to my monthly usage.

    Thank you for your insight laugher, what I will keep from your post is how much the lack of keyboard played a role in your decision not to like the mini...

    Regards,

    Loukas
  11. #91  
    If you need the keyboard you can go with a PDA2K, or Qtek9090. I'm not too big on PDA keyboards myself. I'm more comfortable invoking the on-screen keyboard and using my multi-function stylus pen.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    So, what's the outcome of this long winded thread? You hate the XDA II mini, and you love your Treo600.
    I never said I hate the XDA II Mini. I believe the XDA II Mini has its pluses as well but, in terms of overall reliability and practicality, the Treo 600 and generally, most palm based devices, still beats it.

    As you will notice, most of the PPC advocates here argue that the PPC has a few features which makes it better. Specifically, these include;



    1. Windows interface - I agree with this. In fact, this was always the other reason why I keep returning to a Windows powered PDA. The bells and whistles that a Windows interface offers is fantastic but comes at a price - the heavy dependency on a stylus. Its interesting to note that before the Treo, I wouldn't even have pointed this negative aspect out - the dependency on a stylus. If I find a Treo keyboard stuck to a Pocket PC based PDA/Mobile that is of the same or similar form factor as the XDA II Mini, I would be almost ready to pull out my credit card. Of course, I'd be a bit wiser too and ask about >64Mb memory availability, etc.
    2. Multitasking capability - I generally agree with this positive. I don't see myself being impacted too much by a true multitasking operating system as I do not see myself running multiple applications at the same time where two or more of them need to perform number crunching in the background. For a PDA device, task switching is enough for me and the Palm OS does this well.
    3. More Available Memory - I do not and never will agree with this point. As I keep referring to my example, PPC applications are generally LARGER than the Palm OS applications. As a result, they take up memory (or external storage space). They also take up a lot more memory during execution than their Palm equivalents. The reason why most PPC devices start at 64Mb while Palm devices generally start with a minimum of 16Mb these days is because of that very reason. There is no point in trying to think otherwise. The applications on a PPC are based on Windows architecture and Windows architecture dictates that you must have a number of common components that your application must use. Whether your application chooses to use ALL of the component's features does not matter. It all gets loaded into memory on startup. As a result, a larger memory footprint is incurred. Its pure and simple logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Treo is not the answer to having problems with one particular PPC phone. Its memory is too constricted. It's constant and random resets are annoying and unproductive, unless you use it to impress your friends from time to time.
    If I wanted to impress my friends, I use a PPC.

    Again, I do not agree with memory constraint issues and I see more constant and random crashes/hangs with the PPC than I do with the Palm based devices, over my entire history of using both devices.
    Last edited by laugher; 03/27/2005 at 12:18 AM. Reason: formatting and corrections
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loukas
    This is an interesting thread, mostly because I was planning to get an XDA II mini by this summer (or Jam here in the UK). I currently have a Treo 600, which I use mostly for the Phone functions, synching my schedule from Outlook and viewing it using Agendus as well as SMS'ing, in that order. No emails or www as GPRS is very expensive here and very few games / mp3's.

    I like the form factor of the XDA IImini, I believe it's sexier than the Treo. But that's always subjective. I furthermore believe that it will be able to fulfill all my daily needs as far as phone / agenda, but am worried about SMS and appointment entry as it doesn't have a keyboard.

    The question I am trying to decide is, how much will the lack of keyboard annoy me... I send about 100-150 txts per month.
    Loukas - I also go through a lot of SMS during the month but I go through a lot of contact/phone book lookups using the keyboard as well. If you are a Treo user now, you know the convenience of getting to the phone book and just typing "jsmith" as fast as we do and getting the number there in front of you!

    I think once you move to the XDA II Mini, the lack of keyboard will be like losing your leg as a result of an accident. You won't realise how painful it is at first (not breaking your leg but the things you could do with it before) . But trying to use the tools to help you get around with a broken leg; the block/letter recognizer, the keyboard (where you have to click on a key shown on the screen with your stylus, one key at a time) or the transcriber is like trying to move around in crutches, or a wheelchair or have somone try to seat you on a toilet. It is really bad...

    Of course, Microsoft has created a new generation wheelchair called VoiceCommand. But I am not so sure I use that as often as the USD$49.95 they are asking for. For me, I wouldn't yell out "Find Daniel Jackson" on a bus. But that could just be me, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loukas
    Orange will be coming out with both the Treo 650 and the XDA II mini (M500 on Orange) by this summer, and they also currently have the XDA IIs (M2000 on Orange). I can get either one of them as an upgrade for free, due to my monthly usage.
    You need to be careful with this choice. I hear there are a few quirks with the new release Treo 650 at this stage, related to timezone, hotsync crashes and phone performance. As for the XDA IIs, someone didn't find the keyboard as nice as the Treo's keyboard. Do your research and try to get your hands on the devices to trial it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loukas
    Thank you for your insight laugher, what I will keep from your post is how much the lack of keyboard played a role in your decision not to like the mini...
    Its always good to know someone has benefited from my personal experiences.
  14. #94  
    No one will benefit from your experience, other than Treo fanatics, like you. The truth of the matter is that Treo lovers will find any excuse to justify their strange love for a Treo 600 or 650 no matter how foolish their Treo makes them look before their clients.

    Well, I for one. am tired of looking like a fool before my clients. I will not embarrase myselef anymore by having my device reset itself before tota strangers.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    No one will benefit from your experience, other than Treo fanatics, like you. The truth of the matter is that Treo lovers will find any excuse to justify their strange love for a Treo 600 or 650 no matter how foolish their Treo makes them look before their clients.

    Well, I for one. am tired of looking like a fool before my clients. I will not embarrase myselef anymore by having my device reset itself before tota strangers.
    Your statement here came across as just another emotional and unjustified conclusion from yet another PPC fanatic. While I do not doubt that you may have had problems with your Palm based PDA in the past, like my situation with my XDA II Mini, it does not mean it can't be fixed or a workaround used.

    Let's try to keep discussions non-emotional and stick to the facts.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    No one will benefit from your experience, other than Treo fanatics, like you. The truth of the matter is that Treo lovers will find any excuse to justify their strange love for a Treo 600 or 650 no matter how foolish their Treo makes them look before their clients.

    Well, I for one. am tired of looking like a fool before my clients. I will not embarrase myselef anymore by having my device reset itself before tota strangers.
    No offense meant Mr. TonyH, but let's not generalize, please. I benefited from his experience. I will take it into account because I think a keyboard is better than tapping on the screen constantly. Memory issues are always a problem with Windows programs IMO, I'll have to consider if I want to deal with that or not, so his comments were helpful. I am not a Treo fanatic, I'm new to PDA phones and still learning. I actually wanted a small PPC phone(this cool one isn't available in the US yet though ), as my first choice because I feel comfortable with Windows as a long-time PC user. But Treo was the only compact PDA phone in the US that I actually liked up close. I liked the new HP that is supposed to be out, but it looks too big in the brochure. But I'm still open to PPC.

    In my business, I have no real need to have the Treo in front of clients(unless I have some dumb urge to show it off), so even if it did reset itself(it hasn't), only I would know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #97  
    From what I've seen, the people that are happiest with the imate JAM/XDAII mini are the ones that use a) Voice Command and b) a bluetooth headset. If you prefer to interact with your device only via keyboard or touchscreen, then the JAM is maybe not the device for you.
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by sloop
    man - sounds like you made a horrible choice when you got that xda thing - but i won't be buying again anytime soon - so i guess the point is moot - or mute - whichever
    sloop, not necessarily. I like the XDA II Mini's form factor and the display specs over the Treo 600's display helps me appreciate it a bit more. With the XDA II Mini as it is today, if I were Microsoft, I would improve the way the Phone application is used to search for contacts. For example, that predictive search capability where you type in numbers to look for your contact is ABSURD. I mean it relies on the fact that you are more familiar with a contact's telephone number instead of their name! For example, if John Smith's number is 412-645-4111, you wouldn't type out John, Smith or JSmith. You would start typing out 41264...and then John Smith will be listed. Doh!

    Another thing that can be easily improved upon is the messaging application (used for SMS). When you start it, the To: field is highlighted. But this To: field is not linked to the Contacts database at all. You have to click on the contacts application link at the bottom of the application, to start the Contacts application. From the contacts application, you then start to enter the name to do a search for the contact.

    With the Treo, I click on the centre/enter button to perform a search on the spot. I can also hit the down button to list the last ten contacts I have dialled/sms'ed to select it on-the-fly. It really is SO MUCH easier to use.

    These are the first of a few things I would get my development team to fix, if I were at the head of the Windows Mobile Development Team. Wishful thinking I guess...
    Last edited by laugher; 03/27/2005 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    No offense meant Mr. TonyH, but let's not generalize, please. I benefited from his experience.
    Thanks. I had hoped, for those who don't fall in the fanatics category, which you appear to be one of the very few here, that I was not falling into the trap of sounding like a bigot. I have, for all my contributions, tried to justify with facts, why I thought what I thought. It looks like I was successful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I will take it into account because I think a keyboard is better than tapping on the screen constantly.
    I think they have to really experience it to see the benefits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Memory issues are always a problem with Windows programs IMO, I'll have to consider if I want to deal with that or not, so his comments were helpful.
    Make sure you get more than 64Mb if you would use a similar set of applications or type of applications that I have loaded. 64Mb just barely manages to cut the mustard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    In my business, I have no real need to have the Treo in front of clients(unless I have some dumb urge to show it off), so even if it did reset itself(it hasn't), only I would know.
    And even if you did need to take the Treo out, how does that compare to the brick-sized XDA, XDA II and IIs? Your Treo would actually look more like a phone next to theirs.
    Last edited by laugher; 03/27/2005 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    From what I've seen, the people that are happiest with the imate JAM/XDAII mini are the ones that use a) Voice Command and b) a bluetooth headset. If you prefer to interact with your device only via keyboard or touchscreen, then the JAM is maybe not the device for you.
    Iceman6, you may have a point there. Are you saying that if you move to a PPC platform, you'd be better off costing in VoiceCommand as well and be prepared to talk in public as if you were on an episode of Star Trek? "Beam me up Scotty!"

    FYI - I've played with VoiceCommand for the entire 5 day trial period and I have found that it does misinterpret my words a few times. My typing mistake recovery would have been much quicker.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions