1.    #1  
    A quote form PC World's blog:
    Samsung expects to ship the phone by the end of this year.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000578.html

What's the holdup? And why can't I even get an ETA?
    That's too long. I was hoping they's ship it before my Sprint PPC6600 trial is over. LOL

Any news about MDA IV expected launch?
    whew. that's a long time. I hate their release date lengths. too too long.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    FWIW, according to a member at pdaphonehome.com, the Samsung i730 has been placed in Verizon's order system. It has not, however, been placed in an active state. So the CS reps can see it, but they can't order it. Other Verizon techs have been saying April, May...who knows...
  5.    #5  
    Another indication that it'll be here at the end of the year. A quote from ZDNet (see last sentence):

Coolest smart phone: Samsung i730
    We first checked out Samsung's i730 at CES earlier this year, and we were quickly impressed by what we saw. An update to the Samsung i700, this Windows Mobile 2003 smart phone is packed with so many goodies that we don't know where to start, but we'll try: a gorgeous 2.8-inch, 65,000-color display; 64MB of memory; Bluetooth; stereo speakers; e-mail support; a speakerphone; an SDIO expansion slot; and a Web browser. As a CDMA mobile, the i730 also includes support for high-speed EVDO networks which bring zippy download times and the promise of streaming media. There's no camera, but we didn't even miss it, and as more businesses restrict camera phones in their offices, its exclusion in this work-friendly device is probably for the better. Yet in addition to being a smarter device, the i730 also sports an awesome slider design and a full QWERTY keyboard for easier and faster e-mailing and text messaging. As with the aforementioned W800i, it also sounds very cool, but we'll have to wait for a full review to give our final assessment. Pricing and availability should be announced this summer.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-35...5801498-1.html
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I don't believe a word of it. If this phone is delayed until the end of the year, HTC will own the market. Samsung can't afford to wait that long.
    Not enough memory on board for a Windoze based phone.

Bob Duckworth
    Right, I have a hard time with 128 MB in my PPC6600 if I run multiple apps. Now I got Pocket plus to shut down apps, instead of hiding them in the background.
    so I guess everyone is taking the pessemist view? that "Samsung expects to ship the phone by the end of this year" means it wont come out earlier?

why do hone companies do this? announce/show phone way b4 they have any chance of shipping.

are they trying to drum up interest from carriers and if they dont get any, scrap the product?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10.    #10  
    I got burned on the MPx. I don't want to go through another endless wait.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    so I guess everyone is taking the pessemist view? that "Samsung expects to ship the phone by the end of this year" means it wont come out earlier?
    I don't know what you mean by everyone, but I think it will be out in the next two months. Posters on other boards have reported a) their Verizon contacts have been trying out this new phone for a week or more; b) the same reps claim the phone will be available in April or May; c) the phone is already in Verizon's computer system, although not available for sale yet. I think end of the year is when we'll see it from Sprint, not Verizon.
    You dont have one yet? They are sweeeeet!
    I think I've seen that picture somewhere from one of the shows. Sorry bub.

If the darn thing is really not due out till the end of the year, that leaves the HP 6500 and the various flavors of the MDA2K. Gotta favor the MDA for the bigger and more standard shape screen. We'll see, I guess...
    The ones from the shows are non-branded or branded with allcall or some crap foreign company like that. If you look you will see the Verizon Logo. I do admit this one is not mine rather a bootleg pic from the Verizon training.

So hang in there folks it is on the way testing has been going well Late April early May is the "soft" release date. No camera but it will have WiFi wooohooo.

The camera Version will come 90 days to 6 months after the first release. Not sure I get the reasoning since everyone knows it has a 1.3MPix camera but then again I do not have a billion dollar company to support .

The only reason there may be a delay from the April/May release is the 650 is coming somewhere between the 20th and 29th so we oops I mean they may want to wait for sales to die down a bit first. Well this is just my .02 what the hell do I know.
    OK, what do your "inside" sources say about the i730 vs. your version of the Audiovox PPC 6600/1? I am going to purchase one or the other, although if I go with the 6600/1, I might go to Sprint instead of Verizon.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe

why do hone companies do this? announce/show phone way b4 they have any chance of shipping.

are they trying to drum up interest from carriers and if they dont get any, scrap the product?
    Can you blamue us? Samsung has a terrible history for delay after delay on their flagship devices. They see themselves as a 1000 lb gorilla and they do things on their own clock.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2