Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have spent the last 12 hours or so scouring the internet and reading all abou the vx6600. I have "played" with it at length in two VZW stores and may order one on Monday- upposedly the camera version will be available then as well.

Anyway, some background. I have been using the Palm OS sice the US Robotics/3Com days- Palm Pilot Pro and have literally had over ten Palm OS devices. I toyed with an ipaq or two about five years ago- but went back to the Palm OS.

I am loving this new device and feel like it is time to give Win Pocket PC another shot. Can I get some new thoughts on it? I use apps like Agendus and Snapper and depend on them big time. I gather the Agenda Fusion app and the built in POP3 client should work as well.

I can get it through our Corp Acct rep and just charge my co, so not so concerned there. Big transition considering how long I have been on the Palm OS and Treo- even had a hacked T600 from Sprint before VZW got it.
    Get a writeshield screen protector, the most expensive one they have (with anti glare). Then remember to USE your finger whenever possible on thee screen. Also when setting buttons, there is a button on the keyboard between tab and comma, that takes you to the carriers home webpage, a mostly useless feature, since there is already a dedicated IE button. Reassign this button to "context menu" and you'll get all kinds of options when you press it.

Also, press and hold the center button on the five way is usually the same as tap and hold with the stylus, which can bring up lots of options. Finally, the 5 way will scroll in IE, but the direction arrows on the slide out keyboard itself will highlight links, useful for one handed browsing.

Thats all I can think of right now, should help you out!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks ardint. I read others saying to touch screen a lot- why???

I am really kind of psyched to "live" with this device for a while and see what the deal is. I went nuts for the screen and the slide out keyboard. Yes, the device is slightly larger than the T600, but not as tall when compared with the treo + antenna- it is also thinner than the Treo, albeit a little wider. I am concerned about getting all of my data out of Palm Desktop and over to Outlook. I will be losing all my catagories and icons from Agendus (both Palm & desktop), so that is a bit of a bummer. Will try that Agenda Fusion app, but again, synching with Outlook, so I guess no icons and color categories. Any ideas or suggestions???

Also worried about how it handles POP3 e-mail. With Snappermail, when I am out of the office it checks every 20 minutes and works flawlessly. I HATE Verizon's Wireless Sync- tried it with the Treo 600 and dumped it quickly. Will not go back to that...

What else can I think of. Have databases with DataViz Smart List to Go, that shouldn't be an issue to find replacement s/w. Docs to Go will no longer be necessary. Use all Splash data apps- they seem to support ID and Photo for the Win OS. Will find something else for Money and Shopper. Do you know of anything that can check AOL e-mail? The AOL Anywhere site seems to indicate that none of their s/w will work with this OS- Second Edition.

Anyway, anyone's feedback is very much appreciated. This is a huge leap for me, especially since my wife also has a T600, and my intention would be to switch both of us over. She too has lived with the Palm OS for many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
    I am concerned about getting all of my data out of Palm Desktop and over to Outlook. I will be losing all my catagories and icons from Agendus (both Palm & desktop), so that is a bit of a bummer. Will try that Agenda Fusion app, but again, synching with Outlook, so I guess no icons and color categories. Any ideas or suggestions???
    AF has icons and color categories.
    Another popular 'super PIM' replacement is pocket informant. It also has everything but the kitchen sink.

What else can I think of. Have databases with DataViz Smart List to Go, that shouldn't be an issue to find replacement s/w. Docs to Go will no longer be necessary. Use all Splash data apps- they seem to support ID and Photo for the Win OS. Will find something else for Money and Shopper. Do you know of anything that can check AOL e-mail? The AOL Anywhere site seems to indicate that none of their s/w will work with this OS- Second Edition.
    there are a couple hack out there to check AOL email. (worst thing worst, you can always instal that 'Minimo' a mozilla for PDA. That's a full service browser.)

anyway, software thread here

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=67279
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all- this has been really helpful.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to cleanly get my data from Palm Desktop over to Outlook??? That would have to be my first priority. Secondary data and software would follow.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
    Thanks all- this has been really helpful.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to cleanly get my data from Palm Desktop over to Outlook??? That would have to be my first priority. Secondary data and software would follow.
    The only way I have done it is export the contacts from Palm Desktop as a coma separted text file (File...Export.. then hit arrow next to Export Type line and pick CSV...tick the All button next to range). Then you can import the file into Outlook (it's under File...Import and Export...then pick Import from another program or file and pick CSV). You will have to do this step for Notes and Calendar as well and you will probabaly have to do some editing in Outlook, but at least you shouldn't have to re-type everything.

I have only done this once or twice for people I work with, so others on this board may know a better way or give better directions.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff
    Use Chapura Mirror program to transfer all your contacts, appts, and memos to outlook. Then when you sync outlook to your new phone, you'll have everything. You can find chapura on your treo 600 install cd, or on palmone's website. It's free.
    Here's how you get dat to outlook.

1. Hotsync your deevice, so thee handheld has the latest info.
    2. Take the backup folder under windows (usually C:\Hanspring\"your palm device id"\backup\ and copy it somewhere else, so you have a backup.
    3. Reinstall Hotsync from the Treo CD, and select Outlook as the desktop sync software.
    4.Sync, and your done! Delete the folder you copied, if everything went smooth. If something got jacked up, reinstall Hotsync with Palm desktop as the desktop software, then restore the backup file and sync.

It will work fine though, always did for me. Just cant be to careful with contact info!
    Also, good replacement for Money is Cash Organizer. Its the only software that does automatic sync with Money (have to buy Moneysync, additional plugin). Little pricier than Palm equivalent, but far more feature rich, and fairly one hand friendly. Just remember to use the tab key to move between fields.

Also, open msn messenger on the ppc, go to options, have it autolaunch when a data connection is made. Then get your family and friends to use MSN, and chat away, even when you cant talk!
    Like you, I used Palms like -- forever. However, I got a XV6600 a little over a month ago (no camera) and don't regret it. I couldn't handle the timezone problems with the Palm OS since I've been traveling a lot lately.

The suggestion to get an anti-glare screen protector is a good one. You'll use your fingers on the screen a lot so you'll want to minimize the smudges.

Other ways to get your data over:
    1. VZW Wireless Sync - watch out since none of the custom fields, "Other", or "Main" phone entries will port over
    2. Yahoo or uReach - import from Palm desktop and export to Outlook

There is a decent array of freeware out there so you'll want to try them before plunking down $$$. Google these:
    - Handyshopper (free) has a PPC version and it reads the Palm databases directly.
    - GSPlayer (free) to do shoutcast
    - When you press OK, apps are only minimized so you'll use up a lot of RAM if you don't close things out occasionally. There are a lot of add-ons to handle this so try them until you find one you like. I like PocketNav.

I was spoiled by Shimon's products suite but I found acceptable commercial replacements for 2day and 4cast.
    - PocketBreeze
    - WeatherPanel (there is a free alternative but I like this one)
    (I'm looking for a small 4stocks replacement.)

DinarSoft's add-ons (Handymenu, HandyLauncher, and currently evaluating TapText) are cool but there are free alternatives for the first 2 apps as well.

I also like TranCreative WordBook. The speech component is cute

All is not roses but nothing is. The biggest problem is still the limited number of quality apps. Tealpoint emailed that there is no money in PPC software.
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=44458

-- If you used the SMS app on the Treo 600, you'll be unhappy. Moan and groan with the rest of us until some develops something better.
    -- Pocket Outlook isn't bad and is reliable but I've not found a quality 3rd party email app. I've tried ProfiMail and purchased (to my regret) WebIS.
    -- I've not found a good database replacement for JFile. I'm trying to use Handyshopper and Excel but both lack in what I need. If you find something comparable to SmartListToGo, let us know.
    -- Dialing numbers is a little cumbersome unless you use Voice Command and that comes with its own set of issues. It is not like the OS recognizes numbers in text messages, email, and other apps to dial directly. People are working on that issue, however. Again, moan and groan until there is something available.
    One more thing, Snappermail is planning to port to PPC but they've put it last on their list of ports. It appears that they are thinking just like Tealpoint. If they see that there is a strong market, they might make it a higher priority. Please email them.
  12.    #12  
    You guys have been awesome with all this help. I really appreciate it and will be looking into all the s/w and tips you suggested. Many thanks again and PLEASE keep the advice and comments coming.
    I definately would reccomend performing the transition in two parts. First move to outlook using the treo via pocket mirror then outlook to 6600.

good luck

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    DinarSoft's add-ons (Handymenu, HandyLauncher, and currently evaluating TapText) are cool but there are free alternatives for the first 2 apps as well.

I also like TranCreative WordBook. The speech component is cute

All is not roses but nothing is. The biggest problem is still the limited number of quality apps. Tealpoint emailed that there is no money in PPC software.
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=44458
    of course there is no money. every single Palm developer that tries to do it in the PPC land was laughed off the stage. Their apps are too primitive and has very odd conventions.

-- If you used the SMS app on the Treo 600, you'll be unhappy. Moan and groan with the rest of us until some develops something better.
    -- Pocket Outlook isn't bad and is reliable but I've not found a quality 3rd party email app. I've tried ProfiMail and purchased (to my regret) WebIS.
    -- I've not found a good database replacement for JFile. I'm trying to use Handyshopper and Excel but both lack in what I need. If you find something comparable to SmartListToGo, let us know.
    -- Dialing numbers is a little cumbersome unless you use Voice Command and that comes with its own set of issues. It is not like the OS recognizes numbers in text messages, email, and other apps to dial directly. People are working on that issue, however. Again, moan and groan until there is something available.
    man...we are in 'let's repeat, old post for the gazillionth time again' mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    man...we are in 'let's repeat, old post for the gazillionth time again' mode.
    If the problems get fixed, you won't hear it again.
    I'm not done.

Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    of course there is no money. every single Palm developer that tries to do it in the PPC land was laughed off the stage. Their apps are too primitive and has very odd conventions.
    Bull. Avantgo wasn't laughed off-stage and neither were several of the developers of Handmark products.

I'm sorry you are "married" to your handheld platform -- I'm not. Today, the PPC is the best choice for me but tomorrow it might be something else.

PPCs and Palms BOTH have value and BOTH have limitations. Thinking people weigh the pros and cons for THEIR needs and make the right choice for them. If you don't want to read repeat posts -- just learn how to ignore them like I do.
    LOL. I usually suggest a few days vacation, or some sex, to people who get easily annoyed while reading online forums.

I couldn't care less what OS fanatics think, on both sides of the aisle. I like certain things about both the Palm OS and PPC OS. My issues are usually with how well integrated they are into devices.
    You are so right, TonyH!
  19.    #19  
    I visit Treocentral more than I visit CNN.com and I really get a lot out of this site. I did not think I would get as much valuable feedback on this post, only b/c this is obviously a Palm OS centric website. As I have said, I do appreciate all the help and am sorry this has turned into a usual Treocentral thread.

Again, if anyone is interested in posting cool tips or applications, etc- please feel free. If someone wants to rant on why I am not searching more, which I have been, or am re-hashing old news, I apologize.
    I have both a Sprint Treo 600 (personal use) and Verizon xv6600 (work). I have to say that I truly love both devices. I rolled out 8 of the Harrier devices and it has met some resistance, but having an iPaq first eased along my users.

I do like the slide out keyboard, but it is so cumbersome to pull it out. I only do that when I have to type for longer periods of time. The Treo spoiled me on the battery life compared with the Harrier, but at least the Harrier has a removable battery with a spot for a spare on the cradle.

Screen on the xv6600 is some kind of spectacular. Never have I personally seen a screen that was this brilliant in any lighting condition. I also use the free wireless sync software from Verizon until I get it set up officially on our OneBridge server.

If there is anymore information you might need, let me know.

May I ask a dumb question, JeffNYC? Why not sync the Treo with Outlook by changing the PIM it defaults to? Then you wouldn't have to worry about moving anything from Palm Desktop. Maybe I'm missing something here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast