Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    i really like my treo650, and i'm sure i will for a couple of more years, which will probably coincide with when this one gets here, and has a chance to come down in price a little...

    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smart...-mda-iv-035715
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  2. #2  
    Wow, I just say ppcw.net picture. This thing is much smaller than I expected. It's about the size of all treo300.

    http://photo.ppcw.net/index.php?gall...005&lang=en_us

    This thing is going to kill as long as battery is good. (everything else are carry over from older generation and all market tested.)
  3. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Wow, I just say ppcw.net picture. This thing is much smaller than I expected. It's about the size of all treo300.

    http://photo.ppcw.net/index.php?gall...005&lang=en_us

    This thing is going to kill as long as battery is good. (everything else are carry over from older generation and all market tested.)
    I had always thought that the MDA IV was the same length as the MDA III, but from the picture comparing it to the Jam, it looks like it's the same size as the Jam and not the III. I really wish they would have made it a quad-band. It seems strange that they didn't since both the III and the Jam are quad.

    Also, it looks like it is presently running WM 2003, but I am pretty sure I read that when it is finally out, it will be running WM 2005.


    Edit: My mistake. The Jam is Tri NOT Quad. Sorry.
    Last edited by jglev; 03/11/2005 at 02:19 PM.
    Jeff
  4. #4  
    MDA IV looks promising. Let's hope it works well with BT headsets, as it is not the kind of phone you wanna slap on your face and talk. BT 1.2 should be top priority for phone makers. There is no BT1.1 phone that performs well. I tried a bunch, including Treo 650, PPC6600, PPC6601, and SX66.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    MDA IV looks promising. Let's hope it works well with BT headsets, as it is not the kind of phone you wanna slap on your face and talk. BT 1.2 should be top priority for phone makers. There is no BT1.1 phone that performs well. I tried a bunch, including Treo 650, PPC6600, PPC6601, and SX66.
    THe problem with BT headset is the spec implementation is a total zoo. I don't think they get it to be perfect plug and play. But you are right, the least they can do is to make it work perfectly with top brands.


    Well, this year is going to be a very interesting year for high end smartphones. I thought it's gonna be boring. Hmm, can't wait till christmas.

    MP3player+ digicam+PPC+ ketchup dispenser!
    yeah, that's the ticket!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    I had always thought that the MDA IV was the same length as the MDA III, but from the picture comparing it to the Jam, it looks like it's the same size as the Jam and not the III. I really wish they would have made it a quad-band. It seems strange that they didn't since both the III and the Jam are quad.

    Also, it looks like it is presently running WM 2003, but I am pretty sure I read that when it is finally out, it will be running WM 2005.


    Edit: My mistake. The Jam is Tri NOT Quad. Sorry.
    If you notice in that photo, the Jam is significantly farther in the foreground than the MDAIV, which is inside a glass case.... I'm sure its much bigger than the iJam, prolly as you suspected its the same size as an MDA III, but maybe even thicker.
    *sparks*
  7. #7  
    Here's an earlier thread with a link to some comparison shots:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73474
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    MDA IV looks promising. Let's hope it works well with BT headsets, as it is not the kind of phone you wanna slap on your face and talk. BT 1.2 should be top priority for phone makers. There is no BT1.1 phone that performs well. I tried a bunch, including Treo 650, PPC6600, PPC6601, and SX66.
    I couldn't be happier (BT-wise) using a Nokia 6620 and Cardo scala-500. I can leave the phone on charge on the bathroom counter, shut the door, and walk around in adjacent rooms without interference. If I go further, I get mild interference, but it's still very usable. I've become a BT-junkie in very short order. Voice dialing is "da bomb".

    Todd/Indy
  9. #9  
    Does the Nokia 6620 use 1.2 BT, or 1.1?
  10. #10  
    Wish I knew, but it sure works... I know it supports headset and handsfree profile (yawn...). Here's the best spec's I could come up with:

    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,016-2218,00.html

    Help, anyone?

    Todd/Indy
  11. #11  
    I found it. It is BT 1.1 compliant, but it is probably better integrated than most PDA phones, if the performance is as you described.

    http://www.nokiausa.com/instantreplay?cpid=OTC-10001

    Read footnote (22)
    Last edited by TonyH; 03/12/2005 at 02:54 AM.
  12. #12  
    I dunno... the specs are nice and all, but I still want one-handed use on my smartphone a la Treo form factor which I think is the best of both worlds imo. If they could cram the MDA IV specs into the 650 form factor, I would bite...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I dunno... the specs are nice and all, but I still want one-handed use on my smartphone a la Treo form factor which I think is the best of both worlds imo. If they could cram the MDA IV specs into the 650 form factor, I would bite...

    how are you going to cram the big VGA screen and the big keyboard? Everything else is basically the samsung i7xx.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I found it. It is BT 1.1 compliant, but it is probably better integrated than most PDA phones, if the performance is as you described.

    http://www.nokiausa.com/instantreplay?cpid=OTC-10001

    Read footnote (22)
    TonyH, nice catch. I looked for awhile--shoulda read the fine print. I suspect BT performance mostly comes down to the quality of the BT radio. I haven't tried BT on my 650 yet, but if it betters the 6620, I'll be darn impressed. If BT is bad, it's game over without a firmware fix. I can't hear the 650 well enough.

    Todd/Indy
  15. #15  
    Actually BT 1.1 on the Treo 650 is not that great. I tried it. I also tried it on 3 of the new pocket PC phones (SX66, PPC6600, and PPC6601) and it is not that great either. On all, the TX (send) side is good, but the RX (Receive) has lots of static. I'm referring to BT headset integration, not BT DUN, which is excllent on the PPC phones, fast and straight forward.

    Perhaps Nokia and Motorola use better BT radio chips, or write better BT stacks. My Moto v551 sounds good and works great with BT headsets.

Posting Permissions