Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    I posted this today in the US GSM thread in response to someone looking for a good, capable EDGE handset for cingular (the poster was having several typical problems with cingular 650, most notably volume issues). I thought I'd re-post it here, because the points made are valid, based upon 2 weeks' direct experience:

    I suggested trying Nokia 6620.

    "It's 'MEdiaWorks/MEdiaNet legal', supports EDGE (though only class 2 or 118kbps), has a full browser (Opera), supports MobiTV (way cool, good framerate at least here in Indianapolis), can be insured, reads PDF's 'on the fly' with PDF+ ($20), nice UI if you never need to draw on the screen, has BT DUN, can voicedial via BT, has great RF and volume via earpiece and speakerphone, and has great still and video cam with night mode, etc., etc. (where do I stop?). I'm getting my 650 today (roadshow from VC) and I'll give it a try, but I'm probably going to stay right where I am!"

    PLEASE NOTE that I am an avid Palm OS user/supporter, and I'll definitely give the 650 a fair shot. This could be the basis of an interesting comparative review in the making.

    Of course, if screen size and full QWERTY keyboard are deal-breakers, the 6620 is disqualified. I just found a BT HID driver for Symbian 7 which will allow use of BT keyboards, though. I'm going to try it with the iTECH BT Virtual Laser Keyboard I'm getting for my tablet PC.

    Todd/Indy
    Last edited by tbhausen; 03/10/2005 at 02:23 PM.
  2. #2  
    what phone is this?
  3.    #3  
    Oops, left out part of the cut-and-paste. Sorry for the confusion.

    Todd/Indy
  4. #4  
    we have the nokia 6620 on rogers already, i have played with it

    i have used a Nokia 3600 before (a year ago) and it also Series 60. Series 60 is great and amazing, however it does not have a touch screen and a keyboard. I can never go back to a phone that doesnt have a touchscreen and a qwerty keyboard.
  5. #5  
    why is this in the 650 forum?
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    "Why are you touching him?!?!"
    Starsky and Hutch, 2004
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    we have the nokia 6620 on rogers already, i have played with it

    i have used a Nokia 3600 before (a year ago) and it also Series 60. Series 60 is great and amazing, however it does not have a touch screen and a keyboard. I can never go back to a phone that doesnt have a touchscreen and a qwerty keyboard.
    I agree with the mofo. The 6620 looks like and gets reviewed as a great phone for someone who can live w/o those two things.
  8.    #9  
    Read the title, dutchtrumpet, and you'll see why it's in this forum. Or do you support censorship of information regarding competing products?

    Everything is say is TRUE, EVERYTHING.

    I never saw "Starsky and Hutch 2004", so I don't understand the comment.

    Todd/Indy
    Last edited by tbhausen; 03/10/2005 at 02:50 PM.
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Read the title, dutchtrumpet, and you'll see why it's in this forum. Or do you support censorship of information regarding competing products?

    Everything is say is TRUE, EVERYTHING.

    Todd/Indy
    easy...

    How is it censorship to post in the correct forum. Your post isn't about treo 650 hardware. This belongs in the other handhelds forum.
  10. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #11  
    It is a solid phone - I got one for my wife. Not quite a Treo 650 replacement but solid.
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Read the title, dutchtrumpet, and you'll see why it's in this forum. Or do you support censorship of information regarding competing products?

    Everything is say is TRUE, EVERYTHING.

    Todd/Indy
    No offense Todd/Indy

    Dutch asked why its in the Treo 650 forum. He didn't say it shouldn't be on TreoCentral. You are covering a non palm device as an alternative to waiting for the 700. Its not about the 650.

    There is a forum called :"Other Handhelds, Phones, and Smartphones " ...That is where this thread should be moved.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  12.    #13  
    That's the moderators' call. You and everyone else know darn well moving it to "Other Handhelds" is the next thing to censorship--no one will notice it there. The point is the 650 has problems, and the 6620 could be a viable alternative for many.

    No offense taken.

    Todd/Indy
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    That's the moderators' call. You and everyone else know darn well moving it to "Other Handhelds" is the next thing to censorship--no will notice it there. The point is the 650 has problems, and the 6620 could be a viable alternative for many.

    Todd/Indy
    I see your point but it is clearly not a post about the 650 hardware. I always use the "new posts" button and many other people do too. Of course there will be less traffic to the "other handhelds" forum than the 650 one. This is treocentral, not otherhandheldscentral.
  14. #15  
    Moved.
  15.    #16  
    Fine, like I said--moderators' call. I do believe, however that an explanation is warranted for the fact that most moved threads still show up in the "wrong" forum with "moved" prepended to the title. Why not this one? It vanished from the most active forum without a trace. I have no agenda other than honesty--what gives?

    Todd/Indy
    Last edited by tbhausen; 03/10/2005 at 03:47 PM.
  16. #17  
    I honestly don't know. When a mod moves a thread, they are given a choice to leave a redirect or just move it. I usually leave it as a default, so I don't know why this wouldn't have left a redirect.

    I'll flip it back and forth to see if it leaves a redirect.
  17. #18  
    Okay, now it has a redirect. One possible explanation: I double clicked on the dropdown which selects the target forum. The first click chose the forum and with the dropdown now gone, the second click checked the option to move w/o redirect (which just happened to be under the item I was clicking).

    All of this is a long-winded way of saying it was a mistake. We're not censoring anyone, though to be fair, many people picked up on the fact that it was posted in the wrong forum and you should have known better.
  18.    #19  
    Again, fair enough--and thanks for putting it on "equal footing" with other moved threads. I wasn't trying anything devious (and I'm really hoping the 650 I should be getting today cuts the mustard).

    Todd/Indy
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I see your point but it is clearly not a post about the 650 hardware. I always use the "new posts" button and many other people do too. Of course there will be less traffic to the "other handhelds" forum than the 650 one. This is treocentral, not otherhandheldscentral.
    It showed up on page 1 of "New Posts" just now for me

    New Posts is your buddy, New Posts is your pal
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions