1.    #1  
    woohooo!!!!

DSLReports 200K file download is too fast to measure d/l speed.
    !!!

Bob Duckworth
  2.    #2  
    This is freakin insane. Loadsing web pages faster than my desktop. Bob
    looks like you're getting WiFi speed at DFW airport. The only time I get "too fast, unstable" is when I use WiFi. Thats why I go to verizon infospeed or toast.net to see I'm cruising at 1.5 MBPS
    For $80, it should be faster, huh?
    Bob, I'm enviously waiting for EVDO to come to my area, but I have two questions: First, are you getting at least as-good-as-desktop speed elsewhere and c/would you consider it as your only broadband option? Second, if you also have or had an EVDO card for your laptop and/or desktop, do or would you have to get multiple $80 accounts? Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  5.    #5  
    No, actual speeds are more in the 200-400k range. Now here in Houston, in the Texas Medical Center area, service is crappy and very spotty. I couldn't count on this as the only BB acess available to me. As for the card, I suspect that VZW would want a separate data plan for it. Not certain.

Boy, DFW was sure scary fast though.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    No, actual speeds are more in the 200-400k range. Now here in Houston, in the Texas Medical Center area, service is crappy and very spotty. I couldn't count on this as the only BB acess available to me. As for the card, I suspect that VZW would want a separate data plan for it. Not certain.

Boy, DFW was sure scary fast though.

Bob Duckworth
    Thanks, Bob. Like Tony, I've only had or approached that speed with wi-fi. I suspect you're right about the card, that's what I had to do with Sprint a few years ago although those were not $80 plans.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    what time was this, bob - i live in a dallas burb and - for a time - had wicked fast respones
    Verizon requires a separate data plan for the cards ($79.99) and the phone ($44.95).

I just downloaded a 19 mb file using my EV-DO card. The download averaged 101K-Bytes (not bits) per second. The entire file took under three minutes. EV-DO, when it's working right, can be amazing!
  9.    #9  
    DFW was Sunday PM. I suspect the BW was unloaded as the airport wasn't too busy.

Bob Duckworth
    ev-do is the future. I ordered an xv6600 from vzw. goodbye treo 650!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsickz
    ev-do is the future. I ordered an xv6600 from vzw. goodbye treo 650!
    I learned today that ev-do is ev-don't in my area until "probably the third quarter". By then, Cingular may be rolling out its UMTS with HSDPA service -that's another future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I learned today that ev-do is ev-don't in my area until "probably the third quarter". By then, Cingular may be rolling out its UMTS with HSDPA service -that's another future.
    If your area's not getting EV-DO any time soon, why would you think Cingular can provide UMTS (with or without HSDPA) universally, with compatible phones, by the third quarter of this year? Cingular's best predictions are "Late 2005" initial deployment with an end of 2006 completion. They have already fallen way behind on their EDGE deployment (and compatible phones) from their initial projections. Have they given up on edge and moved on to UMTS?
  13.    #13  
    Well, back to reality. DFW Tuesday morning and throughput is back down in the 200-400 range. Get all these people off my bandwidth!!!

Bob Duckworth
    UMTS was tested only in Atlanta. The theoritical throughput of 14.4 Mbps may not be reachd for another 10 years.

Bob, welcome back to ordinary folk speed
    Btw, were you by any chance using Thunderhawk at DFW airport?
    Last edited by TonyH; 03/08/2005 at 11:50 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    UMTS was tested only in Atlanta. The theoritical throughput of 14.4 Mbps may not be reachd for another 10 years.

Bob, welcome back to ordinary folk speed
    Btw, were you by any chance using Thunderhawk at DFW airport?
    No, just plain old PIE.

Bob
    I'm using Thunderhawk on my PPC6600 now, and it is revolutionary. But speed tests do not reflect my true device connection, nor the CDMA 1XRTT capability; only the TH site capabilities as reflected on my PPC. For example, in the verizon speed test downloding 500kb took 5 only milliseconds. That's like 100 MBPS download speed, nor any broadband connection for that matter. We know the device on 1XRTT is not capable of doing that. But I'm not complainig because I zip through web pages better than I used to with WiFi and PIE.
    Last edited by TonyH; 03/09/2005 at 12:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    If your area's not getting EV-DO any time soon, why would you think Cingular can provide UMTS (with or without HSDPA) universally, with compatible phones, by the third quarter of this year? Cingular's best predictions are "Late 2005" initial deployment with an end of 2006 completion. They have already fallen way behind on their EDGE deployment (and compatible phones) from their initial projections. Have they given up on edge and moved on to UMTS?
    I was just guessing, speculating... I read in the current PC Magazine today that Cingular is projecting 2006 and T-M 2007 for HSPDA. By the way, the cover story is on wireless broadband and the VZW Blue Angel is on the cover.