Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm tired of the bugs and the bad UI and lousy performance. I've been a treo user since the 300 days, but I've had enough and it looks like there are some up and comers out there. What's the next best thing to a T650?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    you can dump your 650 right my way if you want!
    as far a replacement maybe blackberry
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Sony Ericsson P910 or the iMate PDA2K
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    I'm tired of the bugs and the bad UI and lousy performance. I've been a treo user since the 300 days, but I've had enough and it looks like there are some up and comers out there. What's the next best thing to a T650?
    My simple answer "There is none as of right now".
    A Treo 600

Not a joke, either. I've been through a sizeable batch of phones (palm, symbian and PPC/WM) over the past couple of years, and still find the treo 600 to be the best. The stability and overall featureset are a good tradeoff in the treo 600.

My Treo 650 (GSM unlocked) has been flaky at best. The screen sure is pretty though... especially that neat Palm logo when it reboots.
    On the Palm platform, I haven't heard of much new on the horizon. Of the current offerings, the Kyocera 7135 - while dated - is still my favorite. Also, the Samsung I500 was pretty popular.

The Pocket PC platform has been moving pretty strong. Of the stuff out now, the phones based on the HTC reference design, the "Blue Angel" are pretty popular. The unlocked GSM PDA2K is expensive, but loaded. A powerful PDA with 128MB of memory, WiFi, bluetooth, sliding keyboard and a camera. The Sprint and Verizon versions are missing WiFi and the Cingular GSM version is missing the camera. But, as a PocketPC, its a pretty good sized phone. Treo users may not feel comfortable with it (or PocketPC OS).

Newer Pocket PC phones are coming out soon that are Treo-sized. The Samsung unit for Verizon is, like the PDA2K, loaded and has a sliding keyboard. The BenQ for GSM is also small and has a Treo-like keyboard. Plus, HTC will be releasing a GSM version that has a VGA screen and a flip style keyboard like the Sony Cleo UX series.
    uh....been using treo 600 for the past year, changed to treo 650 recently *about 3 weeks ago* and its working like a champ for me....no reason for me to return to treo 600......

bluetooth? oh yeah, its the next best thing after the invention of telephone
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I still think the best smartphone out today is the treo 650. Sure there are some bugs still, but they are being worked on, I haven't had a reset in over a week. I do agree with you about the treo 600, it is a rock solid msartphone, but I couldn't go back. As time goes on you will see that you made the right choice with the 650. All the windows mobile phones have these wow features, I work with some of their owners, and they always comment on how cool it is that the dpad is so tightly intergrated that they barely see me using stylus. Whenever we r in a group looking for a number or calendar, website, my treo 650 is always the one that gets it first. It i just a very inovative machine for what it does. I hear them complain still about the little hourglass, thank God we don't have that, lol. They hate that they have to still rely on a stylus even though having a keyboard. Sometimes things aren't always greener. The 650 is the best smartphone out now!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    I still think the best smartphone out today is the treo 650. Sure there are some bugs still, but they are being worked on, I haven't had a reset in over a week. I do agree with you about the treo 600, it is a rock solid msartphone, but I couldn't go back. As time goes on you will see that you made the right choice with the 650. All the windows mobile phones have these wow features, I work with some of their owners, and they always comment on how cool it is that the dpad is so tightly intergrated that they barely see me using stylus. Whenever we r in a group looking for a number or calendar, website, my treo 650 is always the one that gets it first. It i just a very inovative machine for what it does. I hear them complain still about the little hourglass, thank God we don't have that, lol. They hate that they have to still rely on a stylus even though having a keyboard. Sometimes things aren't always greener. The 650 is the best smartphone out now!!!!!!

amen to that brotha!
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I had lunch today with a guy who has a Verizon 6600, and he had to reset his device no less than 3 times, while my 650 chugged merrily along (and I've had no problems with my 650 - I did a very careful upgrade from my 600 - meaning, I didn't just hook it up to my PC and do a HotSync. I renamed my backup folder, installed with a new desktop, and put my old apps on one at a time. No issues, and I actually have MORE memory now than I did on my 600).
    Point of this? Lots of devices have issues, and there is no magic bullet out there.

(oh, and this is funny - we did a test to pull up a web page, and mine was done while he was still pecking out on the niblet keyboard, and then his device reset. He never could get it to connect to the web)
    it does not mean you don't the device thats best for you. My friends say they "love" their ppc phone the one with the slide down keboard, but he never gets to the info or what we need with his machine.
    THat has always been in every os ms puts out for their pda's. It's funny alot of times they will come to me and say let me look it up in your treo, and I just smile cause I know they actually prefer it, but they are so hyped about all these amazing things wifi,bt,high speed processor that my 312mhz blows theirs away,yadda yadda that they don't need.
    I am not sayin in any way I wouldn't welcome these things for palm, and know they will be here when the time is right. It's just the best smartphone out, sure we could have some better things, but that comes in time. I just know that it all comes down to a great os, and as treo users we have a great os, opposed to ppc,windowsmobile, whataever they are called now.
    It just comes down what works for the person, I like being able to get my info fast using my keyboard and dpad, a friend of mine is actually selling his audiovox to get a treo 650, he said it best "dude this does what I want it to do, and does so intuitivlely, without an hourglass (He has that ppc phone that has a sliding keyboard,wifi,bt,edge..) WE GOT THE BEST SMARTPHONE OUT THERE. IT WILL CONTIUE
    I'm sure if you want a T600 instead and willing to swap the unlocked 650 with an unlocked 600 on this board..a lot of persons will want to swap it with you.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I did a very careful upgrade from my 600 - meaning, I didn't just hook it up to my PC and do a HotSync. I renamed my backup folder, installed with a new desktop, and put my old apps on one at a time. No issues, and I actually have MORE memory now than I did on my 600).
    Amen - My upgrade was a disaster until I went back to square one and upgraded in the same fashion. No problems other than a couple resets that I believe are related to the 64k SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    HTC will be releasing a GSM version that has a VGA screen and a flip style keyboard like the Sony Cleo UX series.
    What model is that? Do you have a link?
    If you're just as restless when it comes to new gadgets, check out the upcoming MDA IV. It's not the kind you slap on the side of your face when you talk.....

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5757.html
    http://worldofppc.com/HWTests/mda4.htm
    hit me at daddy@ghettobillgates.com and ill buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphod357
    A Treo 600

Not a joke, either. I've been through a sizeable batch of phones (palm, symbian and PPC/WM) over the past couple of years, and still find the treo 600 to be the best. The stability and overall featureset are a good tradeoff in the treo 600.

My Treo 650 (GSM unlocked) has been flaky at best. The screen sure is pretty though... especially that neat Palm logo when it reboots.
    No problem with my T650 at Day 18, almost flawless actually.Went crazy only once when I transferred an incompatible app from my T600.

Hey you can buy or swap with my unlocked GSM T600. It was the 6th replacement unit within 12 months
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 03/01/2005 at 01:17 AM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Gotta add that my Nokia 6620 is damn impressive so far. Outlook synch is dynamite. If you don't need a lot of the 3rd party apps, this thing is looking pretty solid at this point. Still waiting for p1 to deliver to VC...

Todd/Indy
    HP has one coming out later this year that I am keeping my eyes on. I think it is the MW 6500. Very similar layout of the Treo 650 but with Windows Mobile.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    HP has one coming out later this year that I am keeping my eyes on. I think it is the MW 6500. Very similar layout of the Treo 650 but with Windows Mobile.
    That one bothers me. One of the requirements for Windows Mobile is a 320 x 240 screen. This is what all the software is written for. The 6500 has either a square 240 x 240 or a 320 x 320 screen (I forget which), which does not conform to the PPC standard. You can make less pixels fit into more (like QVGA apps running on a VGA screen using pixle doubling). But you can't make more pixels fit into less. I see problems with third party software compatibility.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast