Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you could hold out for a bit I would wait for Sony Ericsson to announce the successor to their popular P900 series smartphones. I read on engadget that it should be announced fairly soon and will feature everything that a treo 650 has PLUS WiFi. Personally I think the P910 is the only other smartphone that had potential to replace my 650.. if it wasnt for that weak keyboard. This new Sony Ericsson will have a fixed keyboard like the treo and knowing Sony it'll be impeccably designed.

http://www.howardforums.com/attachme...postid=4545089

http://www.engadget.com/entry/123400...3563/#comments
    Two days before my unlocked 650 showed up I got a Blackberry 7100g from Cingular.

Since them my 650 has arrived and I put the battery in and back in the box it went.

For business, the BB is an excellent alternative. I have no desire to even put the SIM in the 650. I am gonna see if a family member wants it, otherwise it will probably end up on eBay.

However, if or when the BB client comes out for the Treo, I might reconsider.
    By BB client what do you mean?

You can get push email on your 650, fyi, if you weren't already aware.
    1 | 2
    He's talking about Blackberry Connect for Palm OS -- announced several times but not released.

And you can only get push email for the 650 if your network supports IMAP, which -- as far as I can tell -- most corporations that have advanced network security don't.

You'll find no bigger supporter of Chatter (push email / Treo) than me, but most companies use BB because it is supported by more advanced networks. The only other push email for Treo is Goodlink, which is extraordinarily expensive ($330/yr) considering that it is far inferior to Chatter -- which is almost free.
    Inferior to Chatter? I beg to differ. Don't get me wrong, I think Chatter is a great email product, but it is not an enterprise solution and there is no comparison to GoodLink. Also, what do you mean "more advanced networks"? $23 a month for full, two-sync of all MS Exchange, on it's surface, appears expensive, but the value justification and Total Cost of Ownership of GoodLink is what drives the sales. Sure, not for everyone and not designed for individual users, but an extremely viable solution.
    GoodGuy, with all due respect, I was a GoodLink user for almost 2 years. The customer service was incompetent, about 50% of my phone calls never rang thanks to GoodLink background interference, and what annoyed me the most was the GoodLink developers' OBSESSION with hijacking every part of my Treo -- the buttons, the preferences, etc. Despite all that, I was still a huge fan of GoodLink because it was fairly reliable, reasonably quick, and had excellent navigation features.

But after a few weeks on Chatter I will never go back to GoodLink. I don't see how GoodLink can remotely compete with Chatter for users that don't require an enterprise solution. Not only is Goodlink 100 times the price, it is vastly -- vastly -- inferior. Chatter is much quicker (okay, that's splitting hairs because they are both quick), but more importantly Chatter doesn't interfere with my phone calls at all and it doesn't insist on hijacking my buttons. Nothing annoyed me more when GoodLink rolled out its new client a few months ago and forced all of its Treo users to a Hobson's choice of either giving up their on/off button or their home button. Thanks a lot! All because GoodLink wanted to shove its new "Home" screen down our throats. I liked the Home Screen a lot, but I sure as hell didn't enjoy being told I had to use it, and I had to give up my button preferences.

By Total Cost of Ownership what can you possibly mean? GoodLink requires enterprise/server support from IT folks at all companies it is on. Every time I got a new phone (4 Treos) or needed a setting changed (e.g., have more KB downloaded per message), I had to call the freaking IT department at my company.

With Chatter (and Versamail/Snappermail), my company does nothing. It takes 5 seconds to set up. I can trade phones and do it again in 3 seconds. There is simply no way on earth that the end cost to my company (or me and my company combined) is even a fraction of the cost of what it would be if we were using GoodLink.

Plus the program takes up 1/10th of the space on my handheld. And another huge annoyance with GoodLink: every time I had to hard reset with GoodLink, I lost all my email until I was back at my laptop and did a full reinstall with GoodLink. You guys push the "GoodLink" backup but it never, ever worked for me and I tried dozens of times. And of course GoodLink was so obsessed with controlling every function that it couldn't allow me to just back up with my SD card like every other program in the world does. No, it had to have its own, useless, propietary backup system that never, ever works and makes it so other backup systems don't work for GoodLink either. So I'm stuck on the road with every program except my email and Calendar. With Chatter, etc. I can back up the programs completely and if I have to do a restore from my SD card, it's no problem.

As far as I can see, GoodLink has only three advantages over Chatter. One huge one is obviously that it doesn't require IMAP -- so if you're not on IMAP, you don't have a choice. The second one is Calendar. A very, very nice feature but not worth the extra $ and I'm pretty sure Chatter will have Calendar soon, too. Lastly GoodLink has a slight edge in navigation ease (one key commands). But that advantage too will die, or at least become so slight that nobody will pay Goodlink $ for it.

GoodLink has a large network of incompetent sales reps that surely push the price of the product way up for the end user. No such problem for the end user programs like Chatter. It's a no-brainer for the end user if his company has IMAP. It's a better program even if they were the same price. If a program like Chatter can ever be developed and made available for PDA users on non-IMAP / more secure networks, GoodLink will go under faster than the Titanic.
    Wow...let's take a look at your comments:

Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    GoodGuy, with all due respect, I was a GoodLink user for almost 2 years. The customer service was incompetent, about 50% of my phone calls never rang thanks to GoodLink background interference, and what annoyed me the most was the GoodLink developers' OBSESSION with hijacking every part of my Treo -- the buttons, the preferences, etc. Despite all that, I was still a huge fan of GoodLink because it was fairly reliable, reasonably quick, and had excellent navigation features.
    What carrier were you using? The reason I ask is that data sync on Verizon is about twice as long as other carriers. As for hijacking buttons, I will address that later on in the post. GoodLink "background" interference has nothing to do with calls going to voicemail. The fact that the phone can't have data and voice coming in at the same time does that.
    But after a few weeks on Chatter I will never go back to GoodLink. I don't see how GoodLink can remotely compete with Chatter for users that don't require an enterprise solution. Not only is Goodlink 100 times the price, it is vastly -- vastly -- inferior. Chatter is much quicker (okay, that's splitting hairs because they are both quick), but more importantly Chatter doesn't interfere with my phone calls at all and it doesn't insist on hijacking my buttons. Nothing annoyed me more when GoodLink rolled out its new client a few months ago and forced all of its Treo users to a Hobson's choice of either giving up their on/off button or their home button. Thanks a lot! All because GoodLink wanted to shove its new "Home" screen down our throats. I liked the Home Screen a lot, but I sure as hell didn't enjoy being told I had to use it, and I had to give up my button preferences.
    Using your vernacular, 100 times the features and functionality. As for your buttons, all you have to do is remap them. Nothing is "forcing" you to use the defaults that are set up with GL. You can map them to whatever you like.
    By Total Cost of Ownership what can you possibly mean? GoodLink requires enterprise/server support from IT folks at all companies it is on. Every time I got a new phone (4 Treos) or needed a setting changed (e.g., have more KB downloaded per message), I had to call the freaking IT department at my company.
    Part of an enterprise solution is the fleet management. IT control over devices, bandwidth utilization, etc, are basic requirements for an enterprise solution. I am not saying that Chatter is a bad product, you agreed that GoodLink is an enterprise solution. Chatter is not. Chatter is a VERY nice email client for individual users. Period (assuming you have IMAP). You lose the phone, what happens? Your email is wide open, your phone is wide open. What is the cost if your company email is out. How much is security worth?

With Chatter (and Versamail/Snappermail), my company does nothing. It takes 5 seconds to set up. I can trade phones and do it again in 3 seconds. There is simply no way on earth that the end cost to my company (or me and my company combined) is even a fraction of the cost of what it would be if we were using GoodLink.
    Yup. And they have absolutely no control over bandwidth utilization, security, device management, etc. If your company is willing to do that, and you only need email and nothing else synchronized with Exchange, then Chatter is probably your best choice. New phone? So difficult to right click, click OTA and provision a phone. Probably costs..oh...at least a 50 cents worth of IT time.

Plus the program takes up 1/10th of the space on my handheld. And another huge annoyance with GoodLink: every time I had to hard reset with GoodLink, I lost all my email until I was back at my laptop and did a full reinstall with GoodLink.
    1/10th the space for 1/10 the functionality. Fair trade off. That is a moot point now as with OTA, you simply reinstall over the air. Click GDInstall and you are up and running. There is no desktop software.

As far as I can see, GoodLink has only three advantages over Chatter. One huge one is obviously that it doesn't require IMAP -- so if you're not on IMAP, you don't have a choice. The second one is Calendar. A very, very nice feature but not worth the extra $ and I'm pretty sure Chatter will have Calendar soon, too. Lastly GoodLink has a slight edge in navigation ease (one key commands). But that advantage too will die, or at least become so slight that nobody will pay Goodlink $ for it.
    And a more secure model and contacts and calendar and notes and tasks and fleet management and no cradle install and management and multi-tasking and GAL look-up and and and and....

Again, Chatter is a nice, individual email client, NOT an enterprise messaging solution.

GoodLink has a large network of incompetent sales reps that surely push the price of the product way up for the end user.
    This is where I draw the line and take offense to your comments. I am in the sales department and I am far from incompetent. Anytime you want to discuss the wireless space as a whole, the wireless email/messaging space in particular or anything else for that matter, please let me know.

Actually, I don't know of any incompetent sales reps within my organization. The fact that you may have had a bad experience with one gives you no right to generalize or cast a blanket over the entire organization, which incidentally includes me.

No such problem for the end user programs like Chatter. It's a no-brainer for the end user if his company has IMAP. It's a better program even if they were the same price. If a program like Chatter can ever be developed and made available for PDA users on non-IMAP / more secure networks, GoodLink will go under faster than the Titanic.
    Been hearing that for years. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one or bet the farm. GoodLink will flop, GoodLink will price themselves right out of the market, blah, blah, blah.

HP doesn't think so. Neither does Dell, Visa or the rest of the over half of the Fortune 500 that use GoodLink. No offense intended to Marc as from what I can see, I would use Chatter in a heartbeat if I was looking for an IMAP solution. He has done great things. But for you to sit here and compare Chatter with GoodLink when it is so patently obvious they are targetting two different markets, is..what is the word you used...incompetent?
    Touche!

Todd/Indy
    Go for a 600

Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    I'm tired of the bugs and the bad UI and lousy performance. I've been a treo user since the 300 days, but I've had enough and it looks like there are some up and comers out there. What's the next best thing to a T650?
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    And you can only get push email for the 650 if your network supports IMAP, which -- as far as I can tell -- most corporations that have advanced network security don't.
    Agreed! BB is currently the best solution from a security and reliability perspective. Although I used a Treo 600 and now a XV6600 with Wireless Sync, I'm anxiously waiting for the Palm BB client.

1. I'm sick of redirectors. My redirector resides on a laptop locked in a secured office directly connected to my company's network so I've lessened the security and reliability exposure. However, after 3 weeks on the road, I returned to having to apply 10 Microsoft patches with reboots between each (that is the way my company pushes out patches). I'd like to use a BB Server that is supported by our Messaging team 24X7.

2. I prefer the Palm operating system but it has an inherent problem with time zones so I've switched to the PPC. The Palm OS will translate all calendar entries as you change time zones but it will not translate new calendar entries to the new timezone when they come in. The only solution is to change the time zone on the redirector -- meaning you can't leave the redirector in one place as you travel.

(I posted a question here on timezones a few months ago and no one could address it. )

When the BB client comes out, I suspect that Palm will have to fix the time zone problem since people won't be taking their BB servers with them as they travel.

3. I still have security issues. I can't tell you how many times I've told VZW, "No, I will not give you the password to my data on the Wireless Sync Web Site". With a BB client, if there are problems, our IT people will fix it and I can give them any passwords they need.

I'm thinking that Goodlink also has this exposure.
    GoodLink's security model is identical to RIM.
    Good. That means that GoodLink should never have to ask for a password. Too bad they don't support Domino/Notes. (I doubt my company would contract with them even if they did. They are picky about 3rd party software and vendors.)
    Argh..the Notes beast rears it's ugly head again...Man..next year, hopefully. Wish we could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    Go for a 600
    I agree.
    Just use notepad to type your mail, print it out and snail mail it....is that still around?
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    I've got no problems with my treo 600. I held off on the 650 because the disgruntled nature of this forum. However, I did see this phone --- Audiovox SMT5600 -- and it looks AMAZING. go to cnet or google to check it out. My friend has it and it's sleek!
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Don't want to badmouth the Treos, they are nice devices. That being said, I love my SX66 and I wouldn't trade it for TWO Treo 650s. A Treo 700......maybe .
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    The ONE thing I miss from my treo is the availabilty of a great variety of accessories.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04
    Just use notepad to type your mail, print it out and snail mail it....is that still around?
    Soon all paper mills will shut down, and all pencil makers will go out of business

Nah, not in this lifetime, they won't. LOL
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12