Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After years of loving the Palm, I'm finally ready to flee to Windows. Check it out:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000977033521/
    Being EVDO we can assume Verizon will carry it first, possibly Sprint later in the year when their EVDO is rolled out and widespread.

I like the keyboard better than those on PPC6600 and its derivatives, but I gotta wait for more specs and more previews.

I'm surprised the screen is only 240X320. In that regard it does not offer any res improvement over the existing PPC phones.

The camera is 1.3 mpix. This is better than existing camera phones, but not spectacular, considering the price of digital cameras.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    we aren't going to see any PPCs with 640x480 until much later in 2005, possibly Q3 or Q4... it's unfortunate however that they held off on 128 mb RAM with this, and instead gave it 64. i wonder if verizon will keep the wifi in it...hmmm (insert thinking smilie here)
  4.    #4  
    I don't really need wi-fi if I have evdo. I'll probably buy the 'all you can eat' broadband service so I don't see much need in flipping to wi-fi.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I am looking forward to having both wifi and evdo. i730 without wifi is the i830, so yes we get both! I wonder, though, if Verizon will subsidize the purchase of an i730 with 2-year contract blah blah blah. We might have to buy this phone directly from Samsung if we want wifi. Verizon may only carry the i830.
    I like the form-factor but not the memory. Why so skimpy?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    why be innovative when then can be sub par and still take your money? had they followed in the footsteps of palmone (which is how some companies are making phones - realizing that ppl will still buy low memory products that barely fit the bill like treo650) they would have only made it 32mb. i'll be surprised if it comes with a cradle :>
    Sledgie, you're depressing me. LOL. I hope no one takes PalmOne's lead in constricting the device memory to the point where it starts having sneezing reset fits when the phone rings. But 64MB is pushing it for a PPC. I think I'll wait till they all start making better converged devices (you know, ones with a good phone as well.)
    I'm sure this is explained in the FAQs somewhere but I don't know which one.

It says it has 128 MB flash and 64 SRAM. What does that mean from a user perspective? Would the user have a full 64 MB to store apps and data? How does that compare to the XV6600's "128 MB (built-in, shared flash memory)"?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    128 mb flash memory means (in this case) it contains 64 mb RAM (for programs and storage) and 64 mb ROM, which is what the OS stores as programs so that in the case of a hard reset, it has the main programs backed up. Usually, a small amount of this ROM can be used for storing add-on programs that the user adds to the OS, or can be used as a backup storage area that will not be erased in case of battery failure.

I apologize for that sounding highly technical, basically what it means is in the case of the XV660x series, 14.2 mb of the 64mb available rom is available to the user, while the other 40 is taken up by the operating system. The xv6600 has 128mb RAM, 64mb ROM available.
    hope this helps,
    sledgie
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i should make it clearer in the case of the xv660x.. the 128mb ram is split into two categories : Memory (being used by programs) and Storage (being used by the user). it's default is 64mb for memory, 64 mb for storage, but can be change (96mb memory/32mb storage, etc.)
    the samsung will only have a *TOTAL* of 64mb for memory/storage COMBINED, so it will be more like 32mb memory/32mb storage, etc.
    hope *THIS* helps
    sledgie
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i should make it clearer in the case of the xv660x.. the 128mb ram is split into two categories : Memory (being used by programs) and Storage (being used by the user). it's default is 64mb for memory, 64 mb for storage, but can be change (96mb memory/32mb storage, etc.)
    the samsung will only have a *TOTAL* of 64mb for memory/storage COMBINED, so it will be more like 32mb memory/32mb storage, etc.
    hope *THIS* helps
    sledgie
    Man, that IS stingy. Still, I can't stick with the Treo. Too many problems. And I want EVDO!
  13.    #13  
    I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this phone. The other PPC phones generated more excitement here, but this one is small and feature-rich.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    that's the thing. some of us who use the pda2k/sx66/660x series like how large the screen is... 3.5 vs 2.8 - while it doesnt seem much, does cut down a lot. plus, honestly i dont like external antennas. for some reason other than the memory, the i730 isnt appealing to me. even though it seems to have a better camera and proposed embedded wifi, i still dont think its in the same category as the 660x. i'm sure you won't run out of memory - but 64mb is the minimum / low end of ppcs right now. i would compare it to a celeron vs pentium iv. both will get the job done..but....
    I'm impressed by it and I do have a XV6600. The size, WiFI/EVDO/Bluetooth -- all good. I'm very concerned about the memory, however. I always carry a LOT on my PDA and my Treo 600 was full from the beginning largely due to Wireless Sync (which I need until a Blackberry client is available). I ran EVERYTHING from the card which could run there.

PPC programs are MUCH bigger than Palm ones so by the time I get all of the equivalents loaded, 64MB will be a tight squeeze.
  16.    #16  
    What about the size? We've been talking about how PPC's are all bricks. This one doesn't seem to be.
    Update:

I've just spoken to the "Regional Director of New Products" in the Samsung Experience store in Columbus Circle in NYC and they will be getting the i730 in about 2 weeks to try.

From what he was able to tell me, this phone will have WiFi but the bad news is that it won't be available until first quarter of NEXT year! I was actually hoping to switch my Treo later on for faster web browsing but for now, I think the Treo will remain my best friend.

Also, he said that the phone WILL be a Verizon phone and that there is no forecast for early introduction. There will be an 'official launch' to the public in 2 weeks but this is only to peak interest for it.

This is the info I was able to get. Don't quote me, but the guy seemed to be very very confident in his info.
    First quarter of next year? As in '06? Palm will probably have a new Treo replacement out by then. This sounds like another example of Samsung's unobtainable phones--great products that are announced with much fanfare, but never see the light of day as retail products.

Anyway, based on Engadget's comment: "but that slide-out keyboard (which is one of the big selling points) just wasn’t cutting it for us (typing on it wasn’t pleasant)," I can't say I'm real excited by it anyway.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    You're right meyerweb, I like the fact that the 650 has an integrated keyboard. Sliding out may pose a lot of problems especially if you like your smartphone in a form fit case as opposed to a belt holster.

And yes, it is for first Q '06! I was quite surprised by that, but I'm also trying to get some confirmation that the Palm OS is going to be obsolete after this version.

Does anyone have any more confirmed info? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this phone. The other PPC phones generated more excitement here, but this one is small and feature-rich.

It doesn't have the bling-bling and eye popping spec. It's a nice small high end balanced smartphone. It's an improvement of the i700.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast