Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoinbrooklyn
    Update:

I've just spoken to the "Regional Director of New Products" in the Samsung Experience store in Columbus Circle in NYC and they will be getting the i730 in about 2 weeks to try.

From what he was able to tell me, this phone will have WiFi but the bad news is that it won't be available until first quarter of NEXT year! I was actually hoping to switch my Treo later on for faster web browsing but for now, I think the Treo will remain my best friend.

Also, he said that the phone WILL be a Verizon phone and that there is no forecast for early introduction. There will be an 'official launch' to the public in 2 weeks but this is only to peak interest for it.

This is the info I was able to get. Don't quote me, but the guy seemed to be very very confident in his info.
    Not that I don't trust a new user's conversation with some guy at a store, but I think I'm going to continue to expect this phone in about a month. It'll take a few solid sources to convince me that this thing's slated for '06.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think we will see the i730 from Verizon in the near future, and from Sprint in the first quarter of 06.
    that's EXACTLY the form factor I want..large screen with controls and a slide-down keyboard. I'm game.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    I don't see this as being an improvement over my PPC-6601. I guess that's why it doesn't really get me that excited.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    i730 has both EV-DO and built-in wifi, in a smaller form factor. Your phone is now obsolete, hee hee.
    I think the i730 has improvements over the PPC6600/6601. Built-in Wifi is great. It only exists on PDA2K and SX66. EVDO is great, if you are in its path.

I like the keyboard better than the PPC6600 series phone. But I may hold out for the i830, instead (World phone-dual radio GSM and CDMA)
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    smaller isn't always better. i'm not willing to give up screen size
    from an ergonomic slant, i'm concerned with the slide-down keyboard. i'm wondering how top heavy the PDA will be and you'll have to uncomfortably anchor it while typing. from a user standpoint I absolutely will not use a windows device, but the design of many phones and PDAs is intriguing to me.
    Yes Andrew, don't quote me and take my word for it but I've called everyone I could think of from Samsung corporate to Sprint and Verizon, etc. etc. and this is the only info that keeps coming up.

Believe me, I wish the info I was told could be inaccurate because I would like to take advantage of EV-DO. In the end, I do like the Treo 650 but I think I may switch to the XV6600 with camera from Verizon due to come out this Monday 3/14.

It is bigger and yes, it's not as cool or as user friendly as the 650, but I really like the larger screen, EV-DO capability (I live in NYC) and Windows PC OS.

I've always been a palm person but from what's been written, this is the last OS from palm. Is that correct?
    I just don't see it. The phone does nothing for me that I don't already have with the PPC-6601. I don't care about a camera or I'd have the 6600. I've got wi-fi, but I don't use it. My phone is EV-DO capable. I don't think the size is really better.

I think if there weren't other phones out there giving these same capabilities, people would be more excited about its arrival. Especially, if they didn't have to give up memory to get this "slick new phone."
    Blackberry Connect is the draw for me.
    Too bad about that obnoxious antenna sticking up on it.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoinbrooklyn
    I've always been a palm person but from what's been written, this is the last OS from palm. Is that correct?
    Well, not exactly correct. The next version of Palm OS after Cobalt will be Linux with a Palm user interface.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=1

Me thinks treo is in serious trouble. Take a look at this i730 picture next to mini
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12