Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone got a favorite package they utilize to access their desktop. I can tell you that $199.00 for Symantec's PCAnywhere ain't gonna fly.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I use either the Remote Desktop that is included in the Sprint Package (Programs->Terminal Services Client) or VNC. With Vnc you are basically "viewing" what you have on the desktop/computer. When You use terminal servi es client, it actually logs off the user on the computer (if you are logged in) and turns into a mini-PC. The only problem I have so far with this is the screen size - apparently it's not so customizable and you are constrained by their presets, however, everything you can do on your computer you can do on this now. it also will appropriately minimize screen size to 320x240 with is useful...so web pages definitely look different.
    I like VNC because it's fast and can be secured with appropriate measures... TSC has the feature where someone else who is logged in can still use the computer, provided you log in under another username
  3.    #3  
    Sledgie:

Give me some hints as to how to set this up. I've never used it and have no idea where to begin.

What I really miss is the ability to grab a file off the desktop with the PPC and attach it to an outbound email. SPCS BC would do that provided you lived long enough for the 1X data connection to load the files.

Thanks,

Bob
    Last edited by rduckwor; 02/24/2005 at 03:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Anyone got a favorite package they utilize to access their desktop. I can tell you that $199.00 for Symantec's PCAnywhere ain't gonna fly.
    I've been experimenting with various configurations of VNC for the last week or so. I'm preferential to RealVNC- even the freeware version is customizable. I have the enterprise version with a Java viewer that will allow for fully encrypted sessions even on clients that don't have a viewer installed as it can be pushed to http clients. I tried playing around with it on my Treo with the Reqwireless and Blazer browsers but the connection proxy seemed to be blocking it.

So I'm forced to use the less secure PalmVNC to connect from my Treo. The speeds are pretty decent (my test machine has been on a ~300kbs upstream dsl).

There's a java midlet being developed on Sourceforge for the IBM runtime module that I also tried. However it's in a very infantile beta stage: so slow I orginally thought I'd regressed to a G1 circuit switched connection.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by teambnet
    I've been experimenting with various configurations of VNC for the last week or so. I'm preferential to RealVNC- even the freeware version is customizable. I have the enterprise version with a Java viewer that will allow for fully encrypted sessions even on clients that don't have a viewer installed as it can be pushed to http clients. I tried playing around with it on my Treo with the Reqwireless and Blazer browsers but the connection proxy seemed to be blocking it.

So I'm forced to use the less secure PalmVNC to connect from my Treo. The speeds are pretty decent (my test machine has been on a ~300kbs upstream dsl).
    What viewer do you use and how do you get it to connect with the data link from the handheld?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor; 02/25/2005 at 09:56 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Never mind. I got it up and running. Apparently I didn't have a dormant data connection and had to establish one with the web browser to get the VNC viewer to link up.

Pretty cool. It transfers a command to the desktop like lightening and then the PPC screen updates pretty quickly as well.

Thanks Guys,

Bob Duckworth
  7.    #7  
    Never mind. I got it up and running. Apparently I didn't have a dormant data connection and had to establish one with the web browser to get the VNC viewer to link up.

Pretty cool. It transfers a command to the desktop like lightening and then the PPC screen updates pretty quickly as well.

Thanks Guys,

Bob Duckworth
    O.K. Sorry to be a complete dolt about this, but I cannot get my VNCviewer to connect to the data services either anew or when there is an active connection.

The server function on the desktop is working and seems to be fine. Any trick or tips you guys can share?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    bob,
    sorry to not respond earlier. i can help you with vnc more than terminal services since i use it more.
    my set up is like this, at home i have Ultr@vnc (ultravnc) set up as a server. on my handheld, all that is necessary is the ppc vncviewer. i enter the ip, the port (i believe default is 5900) and password. if it asks you for id: or something, that means the last number on the port, for instance 5905 would be 5, etc.
    also remember of win xp firewall, and u must forward the port you want to connect to, to your computer. if you've gotten this far, what does it say as an error? It could be you are behind an office firewall...in which case you have to go a different route
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    bob,
    i just tried opening my desktop, forget what i said about id#, i meant type your computer ip in and then try :xxxx where xxxx is either your port opened, or last digit of port. eg. 123.45.67.89:0 or 123.45.67.89:8
    you can also try :5900 or :5908 if it doesn't work, whatever port you have opened
    sledgie
  10.    #10  
    Sledgie:

I have the server set up on the desktop and the firewall set to allow it to function. My problem is getting the PPC to connect with the remote viewer. The connection just fails. I tried tricking the OS into opening a connection with the web browser on the PPC and then whacking in with the viewer and that worked once.

Now I get nothing.

Thanks,

Bob

BTW, I have my server IP set in the viewer and the default port of 5900 on both server and viewer.
    I use a FREE service from
    www.logmein.com

Lightning fast updates, runs as a service on my laptop (so dont have to worry about my dynamic ip) and accessible through the web, including PIE. You can change the zoom on the fly, including rotate to landscape, and very secure (log in to their secure website with one password, then into your PC as a normal user with password). Only downside is that I dont think they have a Palm client for those of you who havent made the leap yet.

Check it out, lemme know if anyone else has something better.
    My memory must be going bad. I went to logmein.com to register as a new user. It turned out I already had an account. I have no freaking idea when I signed up for this service. Of course the free version does not allow file transfer and remote synching.
    True, but for file transfer i have a macro setup to send me an email. I just run the macro and select the file.

No solution for remote syncing, but its not a feature I need, since I keep sd backups and my PIM info in the ROM.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    BTW, I have my server IP set in the viewer and the default port of 5900 on both server and viewer.
    Couple of things: are your display numbers identical on the client and host connection settings (VNC actually connects on port=5900 + display number, default is 0 and therefore 5900)?

Try modifying the connection port to a well known (but locally unused) port to check for traffic filters put in place by your ISP or cell carrier. Personally I use 443 and 8080 to fool the servers at ATTW, but I can afford to since my web server is hosted externally.

I'm not totally familiar with PPC but with PalmOS PalmVNC automatically invokes the data connection process- though you can do this directly by going to the connection panel in the settings menu.

Third- make sure you have the proper settings and configuration on your firewall(s). I've discovered that, for best results, you have to manually port forward- not just enable uPnP forwarding with the linksys line AND the host should be running a static IP and not a DHCP client.

I also found it useful to link my public IP to a dyndns.org namespace (partially out of convenience partially to keep prying eyes from being alerted to my activity).
    Last edited by teambnet; 03/02/2005 at 12:00 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by teambnet
    Couple of things: are your display numbers identical on the client and host connection settings (VNC actually connects on port=5900 + display number, default is 0 and therefore 5900)?

Try modifying the connection port to a well known (but locally unused) port to check for traffic filters put in place by your ISP or cell carrier. Personally I use 443 and 8080 to fool the servers at ATTW, but I can afford to since my web server is hosted externally.

I'm not totally familiar with PPC but with PalmOS PalmVNC automatically invokes the data connection process- though you can do this directly by going to the connection panel in the settings menu.

Third- make sure you have the proper settings and configuration on your firewall(s). I've discovered that, for best results, you have to manually port forward- not just enable uPnP forwarding with the linksys line AND the host should be running a static IP and not a DHCP client.

I also found it useful to link my public IP to a dyndns.org namespace (partially out of convenience partially to keep prying eyes from being alerted to my activity).
    Thanks, but the specific issue I'm having sems to relate to getting the VNCviewer software to establish a connection to the data services on the XV6600. Even if I try to establish a data link by using the email software or web browser, the viewer fails to connect.

The ports are all "aligned" and the firewall clears the VNC server software package, the handset just won't connect. Works fine of course on the cradle.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
  16.    #16  
    Thanks, but the specific issue I'm having sems to relate to getting the VNCviewer software to establish a connection to the data services on the XV6600. Even if I try to establish a data link by using the email software or web browser, the viewer fails to connect.

The ports are all "aligned" and the firewall clears the VNC server software package, the handset just won't connect. Works fine of course on the cradle.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Well, I finally got this working - I think. I reinstalled the server software on the desktop and modified the connection settings in the handset to utilize the VZW network data link to connect to other networks. And so far so good. Of course the desktop screen real estate is tough to manage on the small PPC screen, but it works.

Thanks for all the good thoughts you guys sent my way.

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I knew it had to be something small we were missing. enjoy
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    I knew it had to be something small we were missing. enjoy
    Thanks for your help Sledgie. Always something new to learn. No thank to VZW for their lack of documentation on this handset.

Bob Duckworth
  19.    #19  
    Oh well, today VNCviewer decides it doen't want to work again. Who knows what is up with this software and teh VX6600.

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    do you have a static or dynamic ip on the computer you are trying to use? does dhcp choose its ip or does it remain the same?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast