Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just received the Plantronics M3000 BT headset. Listed for $35.00 at ecost.com. Now this is my first BT headset and a very inexpensive one to boot. I don't expect too much from it.

I'll put together a quick review once its charged and I have wrung it out a bit.

Bob Duckworth
  2.    #2  
    O.K. Like I'm really going to wait 8 hours for ANYTHING to charge. Anyway, so far so good. Paired up with the handset immediately. Call pickup works fine. Wakes up from sleep mode with an incoming call fine. The range appears to be about 20-30 feet in doors. Earpiece volume inside where it's relatively quiet - very good.

Quality of the mic when I'm talking to myself landline/PPC - very nice so far.

No go with MSVC so far. Maybe I can figure that out later.

Now I need to get in the car and try it out in a more noisy environment. Oh yeah, I probably should charge it so more.

Bob Duckworth
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor

Bob Duckworth
    Yeah, well, theres a reason there is a button on the headset. If you push it and the push the VC button on the handset, it works fine.

I am such a dolt.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    O.K. Like I'm really going to wait 8 hours for ANYTHING to charge. Anyway, so far so good. Paired up with the handset immediately. Call pickup works fine. Wakes up from sleep mode with an incoming call fine. The range appears to be about 20-30 feet in doors. Earpiece volume inside where it's relatively quiet - very good.

Quality of the mic when I'm talking to myself landline/PPC - very nice so far.

Now I need to get in the car and try it out in a more noisy environment. Oh yeah, I probably should charge it so more.

Bob Duckworth

Ahhahhahha! Thats good.. couldnt even wait an hour... I just did the same thing last night with my 6600. Then this morning when they reprovisioned it, they said not to use the phone for 2-4 hours. So I waited ten mins....
    *sparks*
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Ahhahhahha! Thats good.. couldnt even wait an hour... I just did the same thing last night with my 6600. Then this morning when they reprovisioned it, they said not to use the phone for 2-4 hours. So I waited ten mins....
    You know, they probably have medication for people like us.

A note: the system sounds such as the voice from VC don't come thru the BT headset. Anyone know how to fix that??

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    I think that is how bluetooth was implemented in the O.S.

No system sounds, no high quality audio, and no VC initiation through headsets.

So there is no "fix" per se, as the OS isnt broken. But perhaps someone will eventually find a workaround.

Incidentally, Bob, couldd you tell me if there is any static if the phone is in your pocket? Please try both on the same side, and the earpiece on the side opposite the pocket of the device. Finally, what BT stack are you using?

I would love to find an inexpensive BT headset that works with this phone!
    Also FYI Bob, if i remember correctly from my last attempt at a BT headset, the system volume of the PPC and the headset are independent of one another.

What that means is that if you need more volume, and your headset is maxed out, try turning up the volume on the PPC by using the rocker switch on the side IN THE MIDDE OF A CALL. I dont think it works unless you are in a call.

Hope that helps!
    Microsoft Voice command 1.5 has known issues (well, known to us. LOL)with most BT heasdets, and with system and speaker volume. Several of us tried it at PDAphonehome, and some of us decided to remove it to keep what's left of our sanity.

MS needs to update that software. It's a great program when it works right.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint

So there is no "fix" per se, as the OS isnt broken. But perhaps someone will eventually find a workaround.

Incidentally, Bob, couldd you tell me if there is any static if the phone is in your pocket? Please try both on the same side, and the earpiece on the side opposite the pocket of the device. Finally, what BT stack are you using?

Ardint:

I'm using the BT 3500 version from the latest VZW ROM update. I'll check the static issues in the AM and get back to you.

Thanks,

Bob
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Microsoft Voice command 1.5 has known issues (well, known to us. LOL)with most BT heasdets, and with system and speaker volume. Several of us tried it at PDAphonehome, and some of us decided to remove it to keep what's left of our sanity.

MS needs to update that software. It's a great program when it works right.
    I agree. This is likely an OS versus BT issues as ardint stated. Don't know if updates to VC would correct this. Seems like a BT update could possibly remedy this issue.

Bob Duckworth
    Thanks a million Bob! Hopefully, good news in the morning will have me ordering the headset by the afternoon
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ardint

Ardint:

No static with device and headset on same side or opposite side pockets. I did manage to get it to break up a bit by placing the handset behind my back, otherwise solid with very very little crackle or pop.

So far so good.

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor; 02/24/2005 at 09:07 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Update: Volume is no problem. The headset is a bit too loud for me at the lowest volume setting on the phone and the headset while sitting in the roaring vicinity of my desktop. Took a ride to do some errands and it seems fine in the car as well.

Some distortion present, but the audio is acceptable especially at the price point. Little static and breakup so far.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Okay...I will admit...I can relate to that more than I care to admit!!!!

This is the one accessory that I have yet to get....mainly because they are just so big and Star Trekish (and I know I don't have much vanity, but for some odd reason I do with this). But today MobilePlanet sent out their email and I saw this one it:

HBH-300 Akono Bluetooth Headset http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....9&dept_id=5130

It is small enough, and I have used other corded boom earpieces before.

Most everyone over at PDAphoneHome is confirming that it works really good.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

This is the one accessory that I have yet to get....mainly because they are just so big and Star Trekish (and I know I don't have much vanity, but for some odd reason I do with this). But today MobilePlanet sent out their email and I saw this one it:

HBH-300 Akono Bluetooth Headset http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....9&dept_id=5130

YoW!!! Expensive and - very sexy. What a cutting figure your will make wearing that Hobbes.

Bob
    I'm in love with folding boom mic's that turn the headset on/off and reduce some of the feedback. My Moto HS810 was good before the Siemens firmware update, but became extra noisey afterwards. So I ordered an HS850 with BT 1.2 to see how that'll work.

Post 996
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

This is by far the best BT headset I have every tried. Works perfect.
    For $35 I went ahead and bought the M3000, more as a backup than anything else. On Wednesday I am going to order the HBH-300.

If they both work fine, I am going to just keep the HBH300 in the car as everyone says it does really great with road noise, and use the M3000 when I am out and about as it appears to be smaller.

Either way, I will let you know what I think of each.
    Okay I know this is a double post....but it fit so well in both threads, I could not resist......

I have heard nothing but great reviews for both the HBH-300 and the Plantronics M3000. Since the M3000 is currently going for only $35, it won out for me.

I ordered the Plantronics M3000 headset for $35 yesterday at around 4:30 pm PST at PCmall.com. They had free shipping but opted for the $9.99 overnight, and it arrived at 10 am this morning!!!!!

Here is the review I posted on another thread:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is my first BT Headset so, of course I couldn't wait 8 hours to charge before giving it a try. I must say as for quality of sound, this is absolutely PERFECT....at least for the first day trying it out. I had no static whatsoever. I called a bunch of my friends just to ask, "How do I sound?" All of them said it was great, while 2 of them said it was the best cell phone connection they have heard and they had no idea I was using my cell phone let along a headset.

I just tested the distance....I am in a hotel room, so I was only able to go about 35 feet into a second bedroom. With the phone in the furthest point of the living room and with me in the back of the second bedroom, I had some rough static but was still able to carry on a conversation, though at times I had to repeat myself.

It was crystal clear until around 15-20 feet when a little bit of static started.

As for comfort.....it is pretty good, I have to get it at just the perfect angle or it seems to add pressure to a part of my ear. It is easy to and quick to put on.......with a little practice at least.

Bottom line is I would certainly reccomend this BT headset....especially at $35. I am very tempted to get another one for a spare everything that I can always keep in my computer bag just in case I forget it on a road trip for work.
    I second the comments on Plantronics M3000. Works great with my XV6600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast