Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been pretty unhappy with my Treo, has anyone checked out the new PPC-6600 http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...=1109123424719
  2.    #2  
    I have been pretty unhappy with my Treo and have been really interested in getting a Pocket PC. There have been so many applications that have been released for the Pocket PC as opposed to the Palm. Flash, Skype, the list goes on. Now there is a new Pocket PC I just saw on Sprint's website, the PPC-6600. Any opinions? This one has a built in keyboard.

Bob
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    As a Treo 600 user I switched the the Siemens SX66 (the 6600 equivalent) in December. It only lasted for about three weeks. The slightly larger size didn't bother me at first but the more I started carrying it around the more cumbersome it became. I also had problems with the sliding keyboard. I liked the idea in theory, but the sliding mechanism on both SX66's I had loosened significantly within a week. I can't say for fact that it would continue to loosen, but for the price I didn't feel like it was that solid. If you really are thinking about using the PPC-6600 you should go to a Sprint store that has one and try the keyboard out. It is nothing like a BB or Treo keyboard in that it doesn't have individual keys. You have to press each of the keys in just the right spot. For the most part it's not that difficult but the spacebar in particular is poorly designed - you have to hit it exactly in the center or it doesn't work. People here complain a lot about how slow the PPC and Windows Mobile platform is but I didn't find it to be that bad at all. In fact I really like the OS and would certainly not hesitate to buy another PPC device in the future. Bottom line for me was that the SX66 just didn't feel right in my hands and I couldn't wait for the Treo650. It's definitely not perfect, in fact it's far from it, but for me it's the best thing available today. Before you make any decisions to switch you really should test the 6600 to make sure that your comfortable with the extra size and the keyboard.
  5.    #5  
    I'm just tired of the issues I have had with Treo. The 2 apps I use the most SMS and Blazer have not been fixed with known issues that cuase them to crash, I just don't have the confidence to spend $600 on another Treo only to have some other issues with them.
    The 6600 isn't all that new. I tried it out a month ago and wasn't impressed. I could tell right away there would be issues with the slider and the thumbpad wasn't very comfortable. The battery life was pathetic compared to my treo. My friend was using his 6600 to play solitare and I was playing emulators and browsing the web- his battery drained 2x as fast as mine. The screen is also pathetic in comparison.

I will say, I am jealous of the software PPC users have to choose from. Fortunately, I've had no resets in a few months now- I think I have most of the kinks figured out.
    The screen definitely is not as crisp in appearance, it's larger and lower res than Treo 650, BUT, the ability to browse in landscape mode is nice.
    Are you using the 600 or the 650?

By the way, why would you want skype on your smartphone? Unless you have wi-fi, skype is useless. I think neither treo or PPC6600 has wi-fi.
    Last edited by Rome; 02/22/2005 at 09:12 PM.
  9.    #9  
    I"m using the 600, just not happy with Palmone to want to pay for the upgrade. Besides the constant replacements (every couple months) I mentioned the software issues. A company that hasn't fixed issues that have been in their KB for months just isn't going to get anymore money. I have also complained to Sprint and Palmone, the best I got back from them was an apology, no suggestion on how they could fix me.

As for the skype. I totally agree, it's worthless without wifi. The PPC6600 doesn't come with wifi BUT I could easily get a wifi SD card and get it to work without having to get someone to hack a card to get it to work. At least people who have Pocket PC can say they have that option, Palm users just can't say that. The flash support is really big for me though. I have been doing a lot of development in flash, and I can't even get a flash player client.
    rever, lets put it this way. You say all the applications coming out for the PPC?????? Do a bit of research pal. There are HUNDREDS of palm aps for every PPC app!! Will that change? Sure, eventually probably. But for now, there are MANY more apps for the palm platform than for PPC's.

Also, so far, I have not seen ANY major publications review these phones and choose a PPC phone over a Treo. Only phone that has come close is the newer Blackberry phone with that unusual keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverland
    I"m using the 600, just not happy with Palmone to want to pay for the upgrade. Besides the constant replacements (every couple months) I mentioned the software issues. A company that hasn't fixed issues that have been in their KB for months just isn't going to get anymore money. I have also complained to Sprint and Palmone, the best I got back from them was an apology, no suggestion on how they could fix me.

As for the skype. I totally agree, it's worthless without wifi. The PPC6600 doesn't come with wifi BUT I could easily get a wifi SD card and get it to work without having to get someone to hack a card to get it to work. At least people who have Pocket PC can say they have that option, Palm users just can't say that. The flash support is really big for me though. I have been doing a lot of development in flash, and I can't even get a flash player client.
    It's sounds like you're probably going to be better off with the 6600 then, the 6601 (non-camera version) has been around for awhile, but Sprint just added the 6600 a few days ago, and users are reporting that some of the bugs from the 6601 experience seem to have been resolved.

FWIW, I upgraded from a 600 to the 650, and am very happy, had some issues during the first week, but discovered threads on this forum that seem to have taken care of my issues. My SMS and Blazer have always worked FLAWLESSLY.... There is also another browser (ziino) that you can download that runs much faster than blazer in the text mode... so if you look around, there always seems answers in this Treo community.... but based on your last post, it looks like you want things PPC offers now and Treo doesn't...good luck!, and let us know how it works for you!
    I could neither type on a Treo 650 nor on a PPC660X. To me both keyboards felt small and awkward. There are enough people in both camps who would feel otherwise, of course. We all have our unique preferences and comfort levels, not to mention some of us have clumsy fat thumbs. Because I did not use the keyboard that much I did not get a chance to experience any lossening of the slider in my PPC6601 or SX66. The reason I preferred the SX66 is because:

1. It is an unlocked GSM phone, freedom to swap SIMS is a plus.
    2. Has built-in WiFi, freeing the SDIO slot for memory

Other than that the entire family of PDA2K, Qtek9090, XDAIII, SX66, PPC6600/6601, and XV6600 are virtually identical in appearance and performance. You are all right that applications abound, but other advantages include multitasking, built-in hand writing recognition, larger memory blocks, fast processor, and a host of other features make these pocket PC phones attractive to those who like to be fully converged.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverland
    Now there is a new Pocket PC I just saw on Sprint's website, the PPC-6600.
    I have been checking their site for a while and still only see the PPC-6601. I know the only difference is the camera, but of course I have to see it in writing so I can show it to my girlfriend and convince her how "essential" this camera phone is to our lives.
    proud owner of one!!! just do it!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    That thing is HUGE! If you like PPC, I'm sure you'll love the 6600. I'm not all that big of a fan because their devices are too big. I also don't care for wifi all that much because the data connection is fast enough for me.

Joe
    I have palyed with the verizon version at a Circuit City. Go check it out. I don't think its that big.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It's the size of a regluar PDA, unless you count the slide-out keyboard when it's extended. Most of that size is occupied by the screen, which I think is good.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Not another, "it's a brick!" comment please. It gets old.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by NetApex
    I have been checking their site for a while and still only see the PPC-6601. I know the only difference is the camera, but of course I have to see it in writing so I can show it to my girlfriend and convince her how "essential" this camera phone is to our lives.
    Look here, bottom of the page, I just got mine, and I love it.
    *sparks*
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Look here, bottom of the page, I just got mine, and I love it.
    WHAT?? That's exactly what I paid VZW for my XV6600. Anyone see a bit of competition going on here? SPCS: "We don't have EVDO yet, but our PPC has a camera!" VZW: "Oh yeah!!?? We got your EVDO right here!"

Glad you guys are happy with your camera equipped phones.

Bob Duckworth
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast