Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Actually I'm more happy paying $15 a month for internet as apoosed to $45.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverland
    Actually I'm more happy paying $15 a month for internet as apoosed to $45.
    I can certainly understand that.

Bob
    It is a brick and the comment is expected on Treocentral. I have one, however, and it takes getting use to after using a small Palm Smartphone for a long time.

Using a BT headset makes phoning easier. It is better than pairing a Tungsten & a BT phone.
    After replacing my Treo 600 five times in 6 months, VZW agreed to charge the difference in the cost between the Treo 600 and the XV6600. So I paid $200 to upgrade to the XV6600.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I can certainly understand that.

Bob
    yes, i pay the $15/mo for internet as well, but I sure am jealous of dem EVDO speeds on my boss' xv6600... i guess sprint will slam me for a "premium internet" fee whenever the hell they roll out the evdo...
    *sparks*
    Beryl, you're lucky, but you probably deserve the discount. I'm looking to switch to Verizon or or go back to Sprint because Cingular won't support their version of the phone, SX66, and they won't insure it either. They pulled all their stock from stores, and it looks like the pulled the plug on Siemens.
    In concept I find the PPC phones to be superior to the Treo, since I tried both, and used every feature to death. But I think both categories of devices have inferior phone integration. With Sprint I ended up adding a second line, and got a flip phone, for voice calls just to get a reliable device. I'm doing the same with Cingular, but here since I can swap SIMs I don't need a second line.

When it comes to data I love the PPC phones. Verizon's EVDO is super fast. Sprint 1XRTT is fast enough. Cingular GPRS is slow, but the SX66 has buillt-in WiFi, on which I can cruise at 1.4 MBPS.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Not another, "it's a brick!" comment please. It gets old.
    Until the day comes when a PPC smartphone is NOT a brick and is NOT ugly as sin, then I think the title is warranted.
  9.    #29  
    As much as everyone on TREOcentral doesn't want to admit it, the handspring is also a brick. Granted it's a bit smaller, but compared to a regular cellphone it's still a brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    rever, lets put it this way. You say all the applications coming out for the PPC?????? Do a bit of research pal. There are HUNDREDS of palm aps for every PPC app!! Will that change? Sure, eventually probably. But for now, there are MANY more apps for the palm platform than for PPC's.

Also, so far, I have not seen ANY major publications review these phones and choose a PPC phone over a Treo. Only phone that has come close is the newer Blackberry phone with that unusual keyboard.
    I am a 10 month Treo 600 lover that went to the PPC-6600. I loved the 600. I did what I needed in the field. I was the envy of all my colleagues with my 600.

But now, after over a month of using the PPC-6600, I really do feel that I have graduated to the power of true mobility. Now, I am not not a MS fan at all. I have worked in the industry too long and have seen first hand the illegal tactics MS conducts in the course of business. But I have to go where I can meet the demands of my job....and that is with the new Pocket PC 2003 Mobile 2nd Edition OS.

I was also always under the assumption that the Palm had a lot more programs available for it becuase of it's tight and dedicated community, but I know feel that was an illusion to a large degree. I now think that the PPC has more (or at least often times more developed) main application solutions. But I must say the Palm no doubt has more hacks and OS utillities, or at least ones that are easy to use....many of which I do miss, i.e. lights, keycap, profiles, etc... Here is a just a small list of some of the more popular programs: Software For PPC . If you also check out any of the Mobile PC magazines with their annual software awards, I think you might be amazed of how much is really out there now today for the PPC.

As for reviews...I have also seen this starting to change as magazines are finally starting to offer reviews one the 660x series of phones. You are right, I have not seen one rank the 660x ove the 650, but several of them put them as a equals with same scores. Some like the the Treo more for obvious reasons like the form factor and hi res screen...but the last couple rated the 6600 as a tie with the 650 due to 128 mb memory, large screen with landscape, wifi capable (or built in with GSM model), full software package included, etc... The big down side I see in reviews for the 650 is memory. The big down side I see in reviews for 660x is battery life.

After being on both sides of the fence, I can say that I honestly like both. Both can suite the needs of the individual nicely, depending on their needs (my work is perfect proof of that). But if I was going to have to choose the one that offers the most road warrior power between the Treo and the PPC-6600....I would have to choose the PPC-6600 due to it's features and to the OS with application options.
    I do agree that many apps for the PPC have a much more refined, and often time more professional feel to them than do most apps for PalmOS. I probably would not have looked back after switching to the SX66 from the Treo 600 had it not been for the keyboard. IMO the SX66, PPC-660x, XDAIII keyboard is functional, but that is about it. It doesn't come close to providing the same tactile response the Blackberry and Treo keyboards have. I think it's really a shame the Harrier chose to go with such a cheap keyboard design on such a high-end device.
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    I do agree that many apps for the PPC have a much more refined, and often time more professional feel to them than do most apps for PalmOS. I probably would not have looked back after switching to the SX66 from the Treo 600 had it not been for the keyboard. IMO the SX66, PPC-660x, XDAIII keyboard is functional, but that is about it. It doesn't come close to providing the same tactile response the Blackberry and Treo keyboards have. I think it's really a shame the Harrier chose to go with such a cheap keyboard design on such a high-end device.
    I agree to an extent, but once used to this keyboard, its not much trouble to use. The keyboards on the treos were better though.

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I haven't used the keyboard once. I swear. I love the availablity of the different writing choices (transcriber, keyboard, letter recognizer) on the device. I wish I had a choice of 6600 without keyboard... think of the size!
    Notice how the Sprint PCS listing doesn't include the 6601 any more??
    They are both listed for the same price in the business web site, but only the 6600 is listed in the consumer site.

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp

I think that link is zip code specific. You can try.
    I miss my Treo 600, having just purchased a 6600 on Sprint. I miss the loud speakerphone (WHERE is the speakerphone on the PPC???) I miss the smaller form factor and the readily available keyboard.

I don't miss the (fairly) weak PIM capabilities (although the nav was great, the features were limited and sync with outlook 2k3 was limited as well). I don't miss the useless camera and low res screen (yes, i know, fixed on the 650). I don't miss the fairly weak word/excel capabilities.

However, I have some complaints: Voice Command -- hobbes, you said this was not to be lived without? I can barely use it -- and you have to press a button to use it? I mean, I can use it to call someone, which it usually gets wrong, but what else? Also, the speaker (for the ringer, not the ear speaker) is SO static-ey -- could mine be defective? Pocket outlook is a bit of a disappointment too. You can't tell it to only download emails from the last N days? Also, trying to sync over POP3 with the same account as you sync by USB seems worthless. You should be able to tell this thing, "hey it's the same account, if you can get it from the laptop via USB, go for it, otherwise use POP..." Anybody else have this problem (or even better: a solution?)

Thank God they have SplashID -- i was able to convert my Palm files to the PPC version.

My HBH-300 is in the mail, as well as my boxwave combo pack (screen savers, minisync, etc.) I hope the Bluetooth capabilities make it even better. I plan to use it as a modem extensively. Which reminds me -- also gonna miss that LONG treo battery life.

Anybody else have thoughts?
    If you use Handyshopper, you don't even have to convert your files! The PPC version can read them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanr
    I miss the loud speakerphone (WHERE is the speakerphone on the PPC???)
    Press and hold the green talk button after you connect.

Voice Command -- hobbes, you said this was not to be lived without
    LOL. Voice command 1.5 sucks, big time. It screws your audio levels, shares the system volume with beeps and screen taps, voice prompts go through the phone speaker, not the BT headset, what else? The woman that speaks has a nasty accent and a violent temper

I'm looking around for a replacement. In the meantime, someone from Microsoft read all my whining and may get back to me soon.

My HBH-300 is in the mail, as well as my boxwave combo pack (screen savers, minisync, etc.) I hope the Bluetooth capabilities make it even better.
    HBH300 is your best choice for this phone. Bluetooth capabilities are great for BT DUN, but not too good for BT headsets, unless you experience no problems with your HBH300.

I plan to use it as a modem extensively.
    Piece of cake. BT DUN is straight forward.

also gonna miss that LONG treo battery life.
    Quit whining. Lion has 2200 and 3300 mAh batteries.
    I owned a Treo 600 on the Sprint network for over one year. I really liked it but I wanted a more powerful PDA with built-in RDP/Terminal Services, SSH, WIFI and Bluetooth. In January I switched to the Siemens SX66 on the Cingular network and I have been very unhappy since. I thought the power and built-in WIFI of the SX66 would truly be PDA/Phone bliss. The concept of the slide out keyboard also seemed perfect since I rarely use thumb keyboards anyway.

What I really didn't realize until I actually started using it, is the practicality of using the SX66 as phone. It is an excellent PDA but the phone features are NOT integrated into the device well. Forget about one handed dialing which can easily be achieved on the Treo. One-handed dialing is *almost* impossible on the SX66 (especially while driving). Not having the keyboard always available really limits what can be done with one hand using this device. Although you can dial numbers from your contacts on the SX66 and I imagine any PPC phone, the way the phone app and OS work together they were clearly not been designed well for this purpose. Once you start typing in letters and then dial a number, the last letters you typed in actually stay in the search field! This means you have to actively erase all those characters before you can begin finding another contact for your next call. Although this seems minor it is a huge hindrance to making quick phone calls if you are always dialing out from within your contacts. Imagine driving while trying to erase letters from your contacts search field using your finger nail on the screen so that you can then attempt to scratch out a few more characters using your finger nail to find the next contact. Either that or you can slide the keyboard out with one hand and attempt to dial using that. I tried all the aftermarket applications that tried to solve this dialing nightmare and none of them compared to the standard dialing out (from your contacts) capabilities built into the Treo.

As far as the phone goes it is really just another application on the this PDA. So if having a good/convenient cellular phone is important to you then definitely do not get the SX66. The SX66 is a really powerful PDA with a phone as one application. Although the Treo 600 wasn't the most powerful PDA, it's phone integration truly makes it an exceptional device. When it comes to phone/PDA integration Handspring really made it work in a way no other device manufacturer has yet to do in my opinion. Once MS spends the time/money to really integrate the phone into the PPC, then PPC based phones will really be contenders. Until then it's all about the Treo.

In addition I really miss the community around the Treo. Since owning the SX66 I have been unable to find a good message board where other users actively solve all the short comings of the device as the excellent members of the Treo community do. Applications like Treo Butler which stop the LED light from flashing incessantly are unheard of for the SX66. Combine that with the fact that finding accessories is such as hassle. That device (SX66) has frigging 10 aliases (HTC Blue Angel, Qtek 9090, XDA III, PPC-6601/00, SX66). Imagine searching for solutions or products on Google using all those aliases. With the Treo you can go to this board and find a solution to virtually every issue you will every run into. The lack of community is another factor that I did not think would have an impact on the overall ownership of a pda/phone until lost it.

I plan on selling my SX66 and jumping aboard the Treo 650 bandwagon next week.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    There's a reg edit posted at www.pdaphonehome.com in regards to the blinking led light situation you referred to. I own a 66 and do miss the community, that's why I still hang out here. The attention the 66 gets from aftermarket accessory makers is disheartening but definitely not a deal breaker. As far as hacks and stuff, there is plenty of people finding how to change stuff. Just check the site I already mentioned as well as www.howardforums.com and a few other ppc forums.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast