1.    #1  
    For those of you who read my little story of running over my old beast: the Sanyo SCP4700, I offered some sort of review of the free replacement Lock/Line gave me because of a Circuit City service contract I had.

The replacement was a snap, they asked whats wrong with it, so of course I lied, telling them it just "stopped turning on" even though I "tried a new battery and charger" (which i didn't, why would i?).... They said the equivalent was the SCP7200, which is an absolute eyesore of a phone, but i couldn't talk em into anything else. Anyway, I was getting the thing for free, I already use my PPC6601 for my main phone, so I figured, why not. To my surprise, they told me i didn't have to send my old phone back, which is a good thing since the gravel from my parking lot might have looked a little suspicious.

So... to the phone.... here's a pic: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=297

Just playing around with it, I realized something, and somebody else wrote a thread about this: SIMPLICITY.... this thing is no frills, and its nice for that, its a phone and it does the phone thing really well, great sound, GREAT speakerphone (from both sides)...its very light, and after playing around with the 6601 for a few weeks, I realized how nice it can be to go back to basics.

The RL2000 is a field phone. Its ruggedized to the hilt, a double-paned window looks through to the screen. Rubber bumpers line the perimeter. The screen resolution is lame, but it is color, is very bright, and has Vision which is definitely an upgrade from the SCP4700. The keyboard has a very nice backlight (somewhere I read someone complaining it didnt have one, but it most definitely does)... The Vision is pretty useless, very basic, i checked my Yahoo mail on it and it was slow and not alot could fit on the screen at once. Hilariously, I keep accidentally tapping the screen because of my 6601 obsession...

But there are two things I think I actually like about this Blue Behemoth. First of all, it has PCS ready link, which nobody I know has, but with the pending Nextel/Sprint merger this could come in handy for the dozen or so people I know who have Nextel phones when the time comes. Secondly, it is TOUGH. If i am going to the beach or camping, or whatever, this is the phone I am bringing. If I want to express my frustration at Sprint's customer service, this is the phone I throw across the room. Just a a couple of words to my Voice Command on my PPC6601: "Call Forwarding", and it sets it up to forward all my calls to my RL2000 (another command i set up, "Call Forwarding End" undoes it), and I'm ready to go. The battery life is absolutely wonderful, I can get two days of lots of talking before a recharge (I'm lucky if I make it 6 hours on the PPC).

The ringtones are very loud, and the menu operates more or less like my old phone which was EEEEAZY.

I don't like how many buttons you gotta press ( I think its 3?) to get out of the Vision mode, this worries me that i might accidentally get into this and end up with some crazy wireless web bill at the end of the month. I wonder if Sprint did this intentionally??

Anyway, Sprint tells me I can actually have a THIRD phone sharing minutes now, some new promotion..(Hobbes, you might want to look into it). I think I'll get some sort of little compact folding moto or something for those trips into the city... and then I will have TOTAL flexibility: my work day gets the ppc6600, nightlife gets a slick little guy, and vacations get the RL2000... talk about custom convergence!

So, if you need something you can hammer a nail with, the Sanyo RL2000 is an excellent choice. Or you could by a hammer (these unfortunately usually come with limited nights and weekends, though)
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/21/2005 at 01:30 AM.
    *sparks*
    Do you pay per minutes when you forward between phones on the same plan?
    Call forwarding with sprint costs $0.10 per minutes plus long distance, even if it is from mobile to mobile, and you have unlimited PCS-to_PCS for $5/month.

Cingular call forwarding simply uses up your minutes, but they also have $3.99/month fast forward to a landline number, that does not take away any of your plan minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Anyway, Sprint tells me I can actually have a THIRD phone sharing minutes now, some new promotion..(Hobbes, you might want to look into it). I think I'll get some sort of little compact folding moto or something for those trips into the city... and then I will have TOTAL flexibility: my work day gets the ppc6600, nightlife gets a slick little guy, and vacations get the RL2000... talk about custom convergence!
    When I was with Sprint and had the PPC6601 I added a second line for free (just for those times when I did not feel the PPC6601 was good to carry around), and got the Sanyo PM8200 to share minutes.

You can add up to 4 lines for $9.99 on Sprint, but your first one is free, and vision is only $5.00/month on the second line. I think that's a good deal, except call forwarding can get costly at $01.0 per minute
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by interclubs
    Do you pay per minutes when you forward between phones on the same plan?
    You know, I talked to a rep on Friday who told me that it just uses regular minutes... but your post prompted me to call Sprint just to be sure, and sure enough there was $12.00 of call forwarding charged on my account!
    That rep didnt know what she was talking about. So no biggie, they are crediting my account, but i think that sux...considering both phones are in the spcs network... i could see charging 10 cents a minute for a forward to a landline phone, but there shouldnt be a charge to do it to the other spcs phone on your account. I wanted to avoid having to give people a second and possibly a third phone # for me, but its too expensive to do the cal forwarding. Its really ridiculous that this can't be done for no charge in network. Those who have SIM cards with other providers dont have this problem.... speaking of which, when the heck are those virtual SIMS coming???? Arggghhhh.....
    *sparks*
    I use vonage, I give out that number, and then I can forward it to whatever number I want to for no charge. It works out real nicely.
  7.    #7  
    I use vonage, I give out that number, and then I can forward it to whatever number I want to for no charge. It works out real nicely.
    yeah, we're putting in an ip phone system at my office soon that will forward out to whatever # i want, so i guess i'll do that, but i have had this cell # for YEARS! I'll have to look into vonage... i assume you can't port your cell # to that, can you?
    *sparks*
    How does that work? If you have 2 cell phones, but want all the calls to come in only to one of them. Would forwarding your cell phones to vonage be free of charge????