Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in the XDAIII/SX66 forum as well PPC6600/6601/XV6600 forum on padaphonehome.

Hobbes, I don't post on SprintUsers.com, but I saw your response to the user who saw the same on a PPC6601(or was it PPC6600?). Yes, the problem does exist.

At first I thought it was something unique to my Sprint PPC6601, but now I see the same issue exists with the SX66. Therefore I concluded that it is a design issue that affects both phones, as well as the PPC6600.

The Backlight would dim (to the point where you can't read what is on the screen) under various conditions:

1. Battery removal and re-insertion
    2. After soft resets
    3. After hard resets
    4. Sometimes after inserting in the cradle
    5. Sometimes for no apparent reason

To restore the backlight brightness all I do go into settings->system->backlight ----uncheck and recheck one of the boxes. The backlight is okay after that.

While this is not too much work it still bugs me, and should not be like that. I think it is a design issue. Who else noticed this?
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/19/2005 at 02:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    can you elaborate more on the issue, i'm not sure i understand. the backlight goes off for no apparent reason? is it after the backlight timeout?
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I posted this in the XDAIII/SX66 forum as well PPC6600/6601/XV6600 forumon padaphonehome.

Hobbes, I don't post on SprintUsers.com, but I saw your response to the user who saw the same on a PPC6601. Yes, the problem does exist.

At first I thought it was something unique to my Sprint PPC6601, but now I see the same issue exists with the SX66. Therefore I concluded that it is a design issue that affects both phones, as well as the PPC6600.

The Backlight would dim (to the point where you can't read what is on the screen) under various conditions:

2. After soft resets
    3. After hard resets

To restore the backlight brightness all I do go into settings->system->backlight ----uncheck and recheck one of the boxes. The backlight is okay after that.

While this is not too much work it still bugs me, and should not be like that. I think it is a design issue. Who else noticed this?
    Tony, I don't own any of these devises, so this may or may not help. I had the same hassle with my iPAQ 2215 which has the same 2003 SE OS. It took me a while to realize that if I hold the power button down a few seconds the light comes on. In my case, it is very much a design issue, just one that I hadn't learned.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I had the same hassle with my iPAQ 2215 which has the same 2003 SE OS. It took me a while to realize that if I hold the power button down a few seconds the light comes on. In my case, it is very much a design issue, just one that I hadn't learned.
    You are right about holding power button for several seconds. This also works on these two PPC phones. Pressing the power button for different lengths seem to have different effects:

-sometimes it turns off the PDA portion of the unit
    -sometimes it dims the backlight, if you start out in bright mode.
    -sometimes it brings the backlight back on from the dim state

There does not seem to be a definite answer to what the power button will do, and you certainly can't have a stop watch to monitor how long you pressed the power button each time.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    can you elaborate more on the issue, i'm not sure i understand. the backlight goes off for no apparent reason? is it after the backlight timeout?
    This was added to peak your curiosity It is for the times when I don't recall taking any user action, like removing the battery, or intentionally causing a soft or hard reset.

Rodolfo was unto something when he explained his experience with the iPaq.

The power key multiple action is too weird on these units.
    This was added to peak your curiosity It is for the times when I don't recall taking any user action, like removing the battery, or intentionally causing a soft or hard reset.

Rodolfo was unto something when he explained his experience with the iPaq.

The power key multiple action is too weird on these units.
    Tony, the Power Button is not weird; it's pretty powerful and you'll appreciate it as you gain expertise with the device. I have a friendly recommendation: take a 2-hour break from your breakneck TC pace and check out your manual . For instance, if you search for "Power Button" in the PDF form, I'm sure you'll find the trick I just taught you and a few others -and this is just for the power button. You're now using a serious OS and a couple of hours with the manual will pay off. It's understandable that you see the power button as weird: heck, our Treos don't even have power buttons .
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  7.    #7  
    I realize the power button on the PPC phone has a dual function: power and backlight
    As for manuals, they all leave a lot to be desired, especially the hard copy. The PDF manual is much more detailed, but I've been known not to read manuals in detail till the product smokes

I know, I had a Treo650. I did not like the fact you could not turn off the PDA side when you need to; only the radio side.

As for the crack about my extended time I spend on T|C, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    You are right about holding power button for several seconds. This also works on these two PPC phones. Pressing the power button for different lengths seem to have different effects:

-sometimes it turns off the PDA portion of the unit
    -sometimes it dims the backlight, if you start out in bright mode.
    -sometimes it brings the backlight back on from the dim state

There does not seem to be a definite answer to what the power button will do, and you certainly can't have a stop watch to monitor how long you pressed the power button each time.
    Here's the secret power button code:

Quick tap - turns the screen and PDA off

Short Hold - Dims the back light, leaves the screen and PDA on

Short Hold with screen dimmed - lights the screen back up again - PDA still on

Read the manual??!! We don' need no stinkin' manual. Discovery and asking your firends - PRICELESS!!

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Here's the secret power button code:

Quick tap - turns the screen and PDA off

Short Hold - Dims the back light, leaves the screen and PDA on

Short Hold with screen dimmed - lights the screen back up again - PDA still on

Read the manual??!! We don' need no stinkin' manual. Discovery and asking your firends - PRICELESS!!

Bob Duckworth
    I think where this gets confusing (but now i see the logic), and where i was getting stuck, is if this happens:

You hold the power button in to shutoff backlight, and you see that the pda is still on but the backlight is off. Next you tap the power button, thinking the pda will "come back on" (even though its not off, just the backlight is off), and it shuts off entirely, no dimly lit screen. Now you tap the button again, and darnit, it comes on but still no backlight..... so you tap it again... pda off! arghhh... now you say, ok, let me hold it in, you do and nothing happens.... the key is that the short hold only works when the pda is on, backlight or no backlight... if the pda is off the short hold has no effect, which does make sense.....so to get it back, from the totally black screen, tap to turn on pda, THEN hold to turn on backlight... voila!

Now... how can i keep the pda off but with the backlight on ?? just kidding

Actually, somebody really made a ppc app that sorta does this: it turns your pda into a "lamp" by putting up a totally blank white screen and jacking up the brightness.... it might actually be useful for reading at night or something....
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/19/2005 at 05:46 PM.
    *sparks*
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    tony,
    do you realize that the screen will go off when you : soft reset the device
    hard reset
    remove battery
    ?
    did you know that after all of these, the screen will brighten from its dimmed/backlight off stage after ~10 seconds?
    just wondering if this is the problem.
    the power button is quite useful, once you understand how it works. educate yourself and read up on it!
  11.    #11  
    Sledgie, I've never been afraid of looking stupid, and asking questions to clear things up when I needed to. This was one instance. The other instance was yesterday when I installed PhotoContacts by downloading it from the I-Mate Jam thread, and it garbled my screen for over two hours. It turns out my SX66 already had photocontact 1.2 installed in ROM.

Live and learn. It's worth it.

Bob, thanks for the secret code of the power switch taps. I got it under control now, I think. LOL
    One last tip on *the backlight*: You can *set* how it behaves through the stinkin' Settings -> System -> Backlight -> Battery or External Power. I don't like to mess with the power button, so I set it to go off in 3 minutes -only when on battery power- and to go back on with just a screen tap. When in the cradle, I like to run a slide show screensaver without interruption.
    When in the cradle, I like to run a slide show screensaver without interruption.
    What screensaver slide show software did you find Rudolfo?

That sounds pretty cool. I could do that while I'm sitting here working away on the computer with the handset in the cradle too.

Thanks,

Bob
  14. frh
    ...Yes, the problem does exist.

2. After soft resets
    3. After hard resets

Geez, I'm on my third XV6600, (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72052) and I've experienced every one of the issues you outlined here, plus a few more. The first phone was horrible. The "on battery" backlight level turned to zero backlight everytime it was turned off or went to sleep. The second one wasn't quite as bad, but the connection between the front and back halves of the phone was so loose the weight of the keyboard half was enough to slide it open everytime I tried to slide it out of the cradle or it's accessory pouch. I was so happy when the backlight malfunctioned repeatedly in the Verizon store and they replaced it.

The third one doesn't feel as rock solid as the first one (perhaps that's why I haven't sent the first one back yet), but it's a lot better than the second one. The backlight problem doesn't happen as often on battery power, but unlike the forst or second phone, if I have the backlight set to time-out on the charger, as often as not it won't come back-on without re-setting the backlight level. There are so many things about this device that are a royal pain in the ****, but nothing else has it's useful features.

I'm actually glad to hear other people are having backlight problems. That means Audiovox might get around to acknowledging and fixing the problem sooner, rather than later. Thank you for validating this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    What screensaver slide show software did you find Rudolfo?

That sounds pretty cool. I could do that while I'm sitting here working away on the computer with the handset in the cradle too.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob, there should be a program on your device called Pictures. It doesn't do much, but it's free and it does a few nice things very simply: runs a slide show -optionally as a screensaver, sets a picture as wallpaper, and accesses a storage card. It doesn't even have an About section so I can't give you any leads otherwise.
    Bob, there should be a program on your device called Pictures. It doesn't do much, but it's free and it does a few nice things very simply: runs a slide show -optionally as a screensaver, sets a picture as wallpaper, and accesses a storage card. It doesn't even have an About section so I can't give you any leads otherwise.
    Thanks Rudolfo. I haven't gotten around to even looking at it yet. Nice to know its there.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by frh
    Geez, I'm on my third XV6600, (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72052) and I've experienced every one of the issues you outlined here, plus a few more. The first phone was horrible. The "on battery" backlight level turned to zero backlight everytime it was turned off or went to sleep. The second one wasn't quite as bad, but the connection between the front and back halves of the phone was so loose the weight of the keyboard half was enough to slide it open everytime I tried to slide it out of the cradle or it's accessory pouch. I was so happy when the backlight malfunctioned repeatedly in the Verizon store and they replaced it.

The third one doesn't feel as rock solid as the first one (perhaps that's why I haven't sent the first one back yet), but it's a lot better than the second one. The backlight problem doesn't happen as often on battery power, but unlike the forst or second phone, if I have the backlight set to time-out on the charger, as often as not it won't come back-on without re-setting the backlight level. There are so many things about this device that are a royal pain in the ****, but nothing else has it's useful features.

I'm actually glad to hear other people are having backlight problems. That means Audiovox might get around to acknowledging and fixing the problem sooner, rather than later. Thank you for validating this.
    This has turned out to be a pretty funny thread. And to think this "problem" may soon be "validated" on three boards. If Audiovox acknowledges this, I'm gonna write a novel about how they fixed it later rather than sooner.
  18.    #18  
    We're having fun today, aren't we?

As long as we don't turn condescending, we can continue to have fun
    Slightly off topic.......The only problem I have with my new 6600 is that the keyboard lights are linked to the screen light. So whenever the screen is on, my keyboard remains on. I have turned off the keyboard lights in the registry...no good. I have set the keyboard lights to turn off in 5 seconds in the registry.....still no good.

when the screen is on, my keyboard lights are on.

When the screen is off, my keyboard lights are off.

Not a huge issue, since I have an extra battery, but could be annoyning on a long day flying with extremely limited access to power.

Maybe I should get one of the folding Solar Panels with a car cig outlet.
  20.    #20  
    That's odd, Hobbes. Keyboard lights should not be on till you press a key on the QWERTY keyboard. It should shut off after 6-7 seconds if no other action has taken place (i.e. pressing another key). But then I never rtfm. LOL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast