Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I'm considering jumping ship to the Sony P910. I've read several reviews and all seem very favourable. I like the look of the hardware and it's a third generation model so hopefully many of the problems have been ironed out by now.

My main concern is the OS and the quantity/ quality of available software... There is obviously less about than for Palm, but does anybody have any first hand experience of this area?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I think it's important to mention that I owned a Treo before I owned a P910, so my opinion might not be as impartial as you'd like it to be, but here goes...

The P910 is a solid phone. The keyboard on the P910 is unlighted which makes it virtually useless in the dark. Also, I could never figure out how to use it one-handed like I do with my Treo.

The P910 is larger than the Treo. I was surprise just how much larger it felt in my hand, although it doesn't suffer from an external antenna.

I had a terrible time trying to force myself to get comfortable with the OS and the form factor (and believe me I tried). It just never seem as user friendly to me as the Treo does.

In the end I put my P910 on eBay and happily returned to my old faithful Treo 600 (now 650).
    The Sony uses Symbian OS, which I know nothing about. It maybe good. I'm equally comfortable with the PPC and Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I was deciding between the P910 and the Qtek 9090. In the end I chose the latter for a number of reasons; the sony just seemed too expensive given its features, and the OS is kind of sluggish. In the end I made the right decision: I'm using wifi more than I ever planned to (in fact, this post is written on my Qtek by wifi). To me, the choice is easy.
    Qtek9090, XDAIII, PDA2K, and SX66 are identical.

I have the Siemens SX66 with Cingular, and the Audiovox PPC6601 from Sprint. The only difference, besides one is GSM and the other is CDMA, is the SX66 has built-in WiFi.
    If your main concern is the OS, go for it. Symbian is a sophisticated, advanced platform with a lot of web support and the 910 phone, which uses UIQ, is excellent. I had experience with Symbian on a Psion Revo and it was an excellent PDA-only device. You'd be getting one of the best phone-dominant devices out there and one of the few of these types that has a touch screen for its PDA functions. I decided I didn't like the keyboard, but I was tempted because it is such a tight phone. It comes bundeled with some nice third-party software which illustrates what is out there and here's a link to some nice UIQ freeware -there's also a lot more at this and other sites: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...cle.php?id=106 I like Symbian and I'll be taking a close look at the Nokia Communicators when they hit my town.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    If your main concern is the OS, go for it. Symbian is a sophisticated, advanced platform with a lot of web support and the 910 phone, which uses UIQ, is excellent. I had experience with Symbian on a Psion Revo and it was an excellent PDA-only device. You'd be getting one of the best phone-dominant devices out there and one of the few of these types that has a touch screen for its PDA functions. I decided I didn't like the keyboard, but I was tempted because it is such a tight phone. It comes bundeled with some nice third-party software which illustrates what is out there and here's a link to some nice UIQ freeware -there's also a lot more at this and other sites: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...cle.php?id=106 I like Symbian and I'll be taking a close look at the Nokia Communicators when they hit my town.

After viewing your helpful link, am I right in thinking that Symbian can multi- task? I have had experience of my girlfriends SPV C500 doing this too. 1 up on the Treo in this area.

Looking through my existing Palm app's the indespensible ones are as follows:

1.DateBk 5
    2.Documents To Go
    3.eReader
    4.Memo pad
    5.PowerOne Personal calculator
    6.Mobile DB
    7.SplashID
    8.SplashMoney
    9.SplashShopper

Now I know that I can get item 7 on the Sony and that the Sony has its own document viewing software, but are there third party/ built-in apps that will cover the other points?

On a side note, I also have about 3 years of Palm datebook entries and tasks that I would like to keep. Is there an easy solution to carry all this data across to the Sony?

Your help is appreciated....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    I think it's important to mention that I owned a Treo before I owned a P910, so my opinion might not be as impartial as you'd like it to be, but here goes...

The P910 is a solid phone. The keyboard on the P910 is unlighted which makes it virtually useless in the dark. Also, I could never figure out how to use it one-handed like I do with my Treo.

The P910 is larger than the Treo. I was surprise just how much larger it felt in my hand, although it doesn't suffer from an external antenna.

I had a terrible time trying to force myself to get comfortable with the OS and the form factor (and believe me I tried). It just never seem as user friendly to me as the Treo does.

In the end I put my P910 on eBay and happily returned to my old faithful Treo 600 (now 650).
    Hmmm... no keyboard lights- not good. Although am I right in thinking that the numerical keypad on the front of the flip has? If so can data be inputted via T9 in the dark?

I wouldn't have thought that the P910 is larger than the Treo- I must admit. Tried getting my hands on a display model today but nobody had any in!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    After viewing your helpful link, am I right in thinking that Symbian can multi- task? I have had experience of my girlfriends SPV C500 doing this too. 1 up on the Treo in this area.

Looking through my existing Palm app's the indespensible ones are as follows:

1.DateBk 5
    2.Documents To Go
    3.eReader
    4.Memo pad
    6.Mobile DB
    7.SplashID
    8.SplashMoney
    9.SplashShopper

Now I know that I can get item 7 on the Sony and that the Sony has its own document viewing software, but are there third party/ built-in apps that will cover the other points?

On a side note, I also have about 3 years of Palm datebook entries and tasks that I would like to keep. Is there an easy solution to carry all this data across to the Sony?

Your help is appreciated....
    It's funny to be telling a guy or gal in the UK about Symbian. Yes, Symbian does multi-tasking. As for software, the 910 comes with several of these functions built in -you'll have to do some research to see how they match your experience or expectations. But, with all due respect to you and other Palm fans -and less to anything-but-Microsoft fanatics-, software is one of the best reasons to leave Palm. Other platforms may not have "1000s of applications available", but in both Symbian and WinMobile, you'll find 50-100 generally superior ones that should meet your needs. Here's a link to one very nice suite of apps available for the 910: http://se-p910-software.epocware.com/Handy_Tools.html

I recommend a little more research on the 910, then just go buy one where you can easily return it if you don't like it. There's a review at the last site I sent you and here's another: http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...source=BROWSER Yes, the 910 does have T9 and a backlit keypad. I wonder if the hinged keyboard would allow one to type at a 90 degree angle using the screen for light. That sort of works for me in a pinch on a Jornada 720 I still use sometimes. Finally, you'll be able to sync with Outlook to get all your entries. You may run into some limitations but most of your stuff should sync easily. The 910 has plenty of RAM and comes with a memory stick.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    It's funny to be telling a guy or gal in the UK about Symbian. Yes, Symbian does multi-tasking. As for software, the 910 comes with several of these functions built in -you'll have to do some research to see how they match your experience or expectations. But, with all due respect to you and other Palm fans -and less to anything-but-Microsoft fanatics-, software is one of the best reasons to leave Palm. Other platforms may not have "1000s of applications available", but in both Symbian and WinMobile, you'll find 50-100 generally superior ones that should meet your needs. Here's a link to one very nice suite of apps available for the 910: http://se-p910-software.epocware.com/Handy_Tools.html

I recommend a little more research on the 910, then just go buy one where you can easily return it if you don't like it. There's a review at the last site I sent you and here's another: http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...source=BROWSER Yes, the 910 does have T9 and a backlit keypad. I wonder if the hinged keyboard would allow one to type at a 90 degree angle using the screen for light. That sort of works for me in a pinch on a Jornada 720 I still use sometimes. Finally, you'll be able to sync with Outlook to get all your entries. You may run into some limitations but most of your stuff should sync easily. The 910 has plenty of RAM and comes with a memory stick.
    Thanks again for your input and links.

Couple of general queries you might know the answer to-

With Handy Book it states that it uses Palm Doc format. So can I take it that the 20 odd Ebooks I have from Ereader can still be used on the P910?

When the phone is in standby is the screen still on but dimmed? To clarify the Treo 600 screen can be totally blank/ off but all wireless functions are still active. So is the P910 screen just dimmed when not in use?

Thanks........

I was also impressed with the accessories that Sony bundled with the P910. If my memory is correct it comes out-of-the-box with a cradle, a nice carry case, an extra stylus and as Rodolfo mentioned a memory stick (P1 could learn a thing or two from Sony on this).

One other negative observation about the P910. The P910 does have bluetooth, and I was able to successfully pair it to my Sony HBH300 headset but I was never able to sync it with my PC via blutooth (this was a point of great frustration for me). This is something that I found very easy to do with my Treo 650.

Be sure and let us know what you think of the P910 if you decide to take the leap.
    I have just moved from a P910i to a Treo 650 because of better intergration with Mac for backing up and moving files. I am struggeling to get used to the Treo. It is smaller, but heavyer, the programs seem less polished with poor user interface, and you cannot have several programs open at the same time. The things I like better with the Treo is the Mac integration, keyboard and the internet connections which seem to go much more smoothly. I am giving the Treo another week to prove itself. If I cannot get over its shortcomings I am going back to the P910
    Have any of the 910 users had experience using BlackberryConnect on it? If so, can you comment.
    i have synchronized my P800 then P900 and then P910 with my Mac without any problems as well as without any third party programs ... the Treo 650 needs the Palm stuff to synchronize with the Mac .... you can use Opera for the P910 .... I find the Treo slower though ...

I've been using Blackberry Connect on the P910 as well as on a Pocket PC device (O2 XDA IIs) ... both are really nice .... both devices are using BBConnect which is connected to a Blackberry Server. i find the email and the calendar parts the same as the (boring) blackberry device while the contacts would not be saved on your phone but it has a dynamic link (query) to the contact list on your Exchange Server ...

Multi-Tasking is good on the P910 but i like it better with the O2 XDA IIs ... The Treo which i never really owned but have worked with isn't as enticing for me ... Though for blackberry users, there will be Blackberry connect for Palm OS soon ..
    Background I was a long time Psion then Symbian user. I've used numerous devices running those OS'es including a SonyEricsson phone running the UIQ flavour of Symbian like the p910. I briefly used a Palm M505 for 6-9 months then went back to Psion/Symbian.

I switched to Treo 600 last autumn after I was given one for free for a test (work-related). I now have a 650. I chose to avoid the p910.

When I returned to Palm I was struck by how little *new* software is coming out compared with Symbian. Yes, there is more stuff available, and the apps are much more mature; but there isn't much really new. Not a problem for me, I've decided prefer applications that have lots of options and work! Would like a more stable OS, my Treo's reset about once a day. My Symbian phone lasted for months between resets.

After viewing your helpful link, am I right in thinking that Symbian can multi- task?
    About Symbian UIQ:

It's a fully multitasking OS and is very very stable, much more so than PalmOS. However, the UIQ flavour has some weird UI design decisions, basically they *chose* to design the applications so that when you jump out and jump back they do not remember state but revert to a list mode. Some third party applications ignore the UI design guide. UIQ version 3, which is not out on any shipping phones, changes this behaviour to something more rationale.

My experience with UIQ is that:
    1. The OS is stable and fast
    2. The UI is quirky and annoying - very very good in some places, amazingly poor in others
    3. The standard UIQ applications are very variable: Diary - poor; email - flaky and dodgy UI; Contacts - good; Tasks - OKish; Memo - OK; Phone app - good.
    4. Anything network-based or OS/cpu intensive runs better on Symbian as it's a much more modern OS, examples: SSH, Opera web browser, Bluetooth
    5. PC sync is very slow, and the diary sync'ing led to randomly deleted appointments for me (latest version of PC software as of 11/04, Outlook 2003, Windows XP). Email sync is also unusable.

1.DateBk 5
    I've not found any Symbian UIQ diary apps which are any good. The built-in one is poor and considerably worse than the *standard* Treo one and worse than every previous Psion/Symbian agenda I ever used. It lacks:
    - time slot compression
    - many entry types
    - most views

2.Documents To Go
    Not available. There is a port of QuickOffice, which is not as good. The device usually ships with Symbian's own document *viewers* which are OK. Best thing I used was Repligo which is an acrobat style viewer, but better at reflowing text. It's also on the Treo so you can check it out.

3.eReader
    There are various free ones. Best paid one was HandyBook which I prefer to eReader. The orientation of the p910 screen and the jog dial make ebook reading better than the Treo IMO. There is TrueType font support for free download, that works in most applications, including HandyBook and Opera if you go online...

4.Memo pad
    The built-in UI one is like the old Treo 600, but not up to the Treo 650.

There are various things available, not used them myself.

6.Mobile DB
    Again various options available. I like the Handy series one.

Sync via Outlook and then tweak the entry types that have been altered by the process. No easy route.

Hope this helps,
    Ian
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by if42
    Background I was a long time Psion then Symbian user. I've used numerous devices running those OS'es including a SonyEricsson phone running the UIQ flavour of Symbian like the p910. I briefly used a Palm M505 for 6-9 months then went back to Psion/Symbian.

I switched to Treo 600 last autumn after I was given one for free for a test (work-related). I now have a 650. I chose to avoid the p910.

When I returned to Palm I was struck by how little *new* software is coming out compared with Symbian. Yes, there is more stuff available, and the apps are much more mature; but there isn't much really new. Not a problem for me, I've decided prefer applications that have lots of options and work! Would like a more stable OS, my Treo's reset about once a day. My Symbian phone lasted for months between resets.

About Symbian UIQ:

It's a fully multitasking OS and is very very stable, much more so than PalmOS. However, the UIQ flavour has some weird UI design decisions, basically they *chose* to design the applications so that when you jump out and jump back they do not remember state but revert to a list mode. Some third party applications ignore the UI design guide. UIQ version 3, which is not out on any shipping phones, changes this behaviour to something more rationale.

My experience with UIQ is that:
    1. The OS is stable and fast
    2. The UI is quirky and annoying - very very good in some places, amazingly poor in others
    3. The standard UIQ applications are very variable: Diary - poor; email - flaky and dodgy UI; Contacts - good; Tasks - OKish; Memo - OK; Phone app - good.
    4. Anything network-based or OS/cpu intensive runs better on Symbian as it's a much more modern OS, examples: SSH, Opera web browser, Bluetooth
    5. PC sync is very slow, and the diary sync'ing led to randomly deleted appointments for me (latest version of PC software as of 11/04, Outlook 2003, Windows XP). Email sync is also unusable.

I've not found any Symbian UIQ diary apps which are any good. The built-in one is poor and considerably worse than the *standard* Treo one and worse than every previous Psion/Symbian agenda I ever used. It lacks:
    - time slot compression
    - many entry types
    - most views

Not available. There is a port of QuickOffice, which is not as good. The device usually ships with Symbian's own document *viewers* which are OK. Best thing I used was Repligo which is an acrobat style viewer, but better at reflowing text. It's also on the Treo so you can check it out.

There are various free ones. Best paid one was HandyBook which I prefer to eReader. The orientation of the p910 screen and the jog dial make ebook reading better than the Treo IMO. There is TrueType font support for free download, that works in most applications, including HandyBook and Opera if you go online...

The built-in UI one is like the old Treo 600, but not up to the Treo 650.

There are various things available, not used them myself.

Again various options available. I like the Handy series one.

Sync via Outlook and then tweak the entry types that have been altered by the process. No easy route.

Hope this helps,
    Ian

This post was a blast from the past!

Great information, thanks for your thoughts.

I never went to Symbian in the end- have a Treo 650 now. I do quite like the thought of the OS though- just for a change if nothing else! Will look into it again when next upgrade is due