Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My PPC-6600, that I did NOT have on order, arrived on my doorstep today.....cya 6601!!!!! When they announced that the 6600 would be delayed several months, I canceled my replacement order with a 6600 and settled for the 6601. I got my 6601 last week, and then to my surprise got another package today with the 6600!!!!!!

Since both the 6601 and the 6600 are the exact same phone (except the 6600 has a camera), , to see my full review of the 660x phone please browse over to here:

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....

Sorry this does not pictures uploaded yet, but I will load some after I get playing with it out of my system, but I at least wanted to get the info posted so you can see all the options they packed into the camera. The first two physical items that jump out are, of course the Flash, Self Portrait Mirror, and Lense on the back of the phone. The other is, where the Media Button is on the 6601, that is changed to a camera button to bring up the camera app.

Camera Options & Settings. At first glance the camera software seems really cool. You can choose from from the following Ambience options:

Auto
    Daylight
    Fluorescent
    Incandescent
    Dim
    Sepia
    Grayscale
    Cool
    Negative

You can even manually control

Contrast
    Gamma
    Saturation
    Sharpness

The resolutions you can choose from are what we expected:

160x160
    320x320
    640x640

You can also choose the follow qualities:

Basic
    Normal
    Fine
    Super Fine

You have control of which folder images are stored in, so it is a really easy to browse and assign it to a folder on a SD card.

Flash. The really cool thing is it has a flash built into the camera, just above the self portrait mirror. It is small, but could be very handy for short range pictures at night or in a dark place.

Picture Frames. You can also choose fun (or dorky) Picture Frames that show up on the screen so you can aim to get someone's face just right in the frame. I can see the exploding with custom Picture Frames to download. You have the choice of the following frames out of the box:

Cartoon Cherub Heart with a Cloud
    Cartoon Pastel Color of 3 star bursts
    Woman Magazine Cover & Man Magazine Cover (this one is actually kinda cool)
    Cartoon Clothes Line with 2 photos hanging on the line

Video: You also have the option for taking video. It is MPEG-4 at 176x144 resolution. You are all the same Ambience options listed above. The video seems to run pretty smooth when played back.

Quality. It is exactly what I personally expected. Think of the Treo 600, but with loads more options, and no blue dots!

Conclusion. The quality of the pictures are what I expected for the resolution of the camera. What I did not expect and am very happy with, is all the option and control I am given when taking pictures via camera software. I also never stopped and thought much about video with it. But I am happy to have it as it seems smoother than I would have expected (though this may change as I try it in different situations).

I will post pictures later tonight or tomorrow morning!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/17/2005 at 07:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    try playing it with betaplayer. i bet it's even more smooth

btw i dunno if any of you noticed but all 6601 devies had the "camera" app in the windows folder, it just wouldn't start since it couldn't initiate the camera
    Hobbes:

Can you give us version numbers of the ROM, Radio, and EXT Rom betwen the 6601 and the 6600?

Curious about software/ROM updates.

Thanks,

Bob
  4.    #4  
    Sure..In just a little bit..where can I find the BT version?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Sure..In just a little bit..where can I find the BT version?
    Click BT manager>bluetooth settings>about

you should see something like BT-PPC/PE version 1.0.0 Builld 3500
    Hobbes: PLEASE post some pics/video for comparison when you get a chance. Can you record directly to sd card or only to the handheld memory?

Also, let us know if you get any of the BOD or other problems that the 6601 had (not everyone had them but it raised a concern for me).

Just a guess, but I think this unit is going to sell out fast. Are these in stores yet or only through telesales?

BTW-Congratulations .
    Yes, congrats, Hobbes, you lucky dog

Does that mean one of the PPC phones is free? I'll pay you half the listed price for whichever is free Well, no, wait..I'm about to return both my PPC phones (PPC6601 and SX66). LOL
    Anyone have a ROM version / BT stack version read from the 6600 yet? I am very curious if there has been a change from the 6601....
    *sparks*
    Forgive me if this question has been answered before (and I assume it has been) but does the PPC-6601/6600 have support for EDVO or EDVD on the Sprint Network? I want to sell my Treo 600 and get one of these, but i'd like it to be a bit future proof. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrud
    Forgive me if this question has been answered before (and I assume it has been) but does the PPC-6601/6600 have support for EDVO or EDVD on the Sprint Network? I want to sell my Treo 600 and get one of these, but i'd like it to be a bit future proof. Thanks.
    Both Verizon and Sprint versions of the 660X have built in support for EVDO. Unfortunately, Sprint has not turned on their EVDO network yet, so you will not get EVDO on Sprint. Sprint has said (and I don't know how true it is) that when EVDO becomes available, the 660X can be used on the EVDO network with just a software upgrade.
    Jeff
  11.    #11  
    Sorry to leave you all in such suspense!

But yesterday and today are just swamped at work. I will try to get some pictures posted later today.

Yes you can set your default video and picture folder anywhere on the phone in either memory or SD Card.

Here are the versions for the 6600:

ROM (Software Version): 1.36.00 WWE
    ROM Date: 1/13/05
    Firmware (Radio Version): HA00_140
    Protocol: AAA3.3.301
    Model: PH20A2
    Hardware: 0041
    PRL: 10025
    Date Manufactured: 31 Jan 2005

AND.....

BT Ver 1.0 build 3500
    All BT Modules are 3500, except BtCeStack.dll is 3601
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

But yesterday and today are just swamped at work. I will try to get some pictures posted later today.

Yes you can set your default video and picture folder anywhere on the phone in either memory or SD Card.

AND.....

BT Ver 1.0 build 3500
    Hey Hobbes,

Thanks for the update! It looks like the BT has been updated, but how do the other versions compare with your 6601?

My 6600 is on the UPS truck and will be delivered today. I held out and continued to use my Treo 600 until the camera version was released. It's going to be a long day!

Thanks,
    Jeff

AND.....

BT Ver 1.0 build 3500
    Here are the VZW data before and after the recent ROM Flash:

BEFORE / AFTER
    ROM 1.32.00WWE / 1.35.00WWE 12/10/04
    RADIO HA01_139 / HA01_140
    Ext ROM 1.32.115 / 1.35.115
    BT ?? / 1.0.0 Build 3500

Clearly the SPCS ROM build is newer than the VZW updated build though one must be carefull comparing version numbers across different providers.

Interesting that both CDMA radio versions have the same version number.

Any BoD news with the 6600?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth

EDIT: Sorry the formatting isn't preserved.

RMD
  14.    #14  
    I forgot to mention the Caller ID utility!!!!!!

CALLER ID
    I forgot to mention that is has a Caller ID utility where you can assign contacts to groups, assign pictures to the groups, or assign pictures to individual contacts! You can have the picture display with the contact info or assign an animated template to the picture. Very nice, though I don't think it has a ringer seletion per group or individual....a very sad and unexcusable oversight IMHO while looking at how complete the rest of the utillity is.

I also have not found an easy way to get to it....I am probably just being stupid and not having a lot of time to play with it yet....but I can only get to it by going to contacts, click/hold menu and select assign picture. Then close that box.

What am i missing?
    I just found one on PDAPHONEHOME.com:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=43008

Posted by igreenberg, about halfway thru the thread. Works fine so far, so we'll see.

I would post the cab file here, but I can't get WInZip to compress it and ".cab" files aren't on the list of approved up loads.

Check it out and see what you think.

Cool that SPCS gave this to you guys finally.

Bob Duckworth
    Hobbes, Are you on Verizon or Sprint?
    interclubs, Hobbes is with Sprint.

Bob, thanks for posting the thread. I missed it somehow when I was posting there this morning. That PhotoContact 1.2, taken out of I-mate Jam, is great. You can set distinctive ringtones and photos to contacts. I can't understand why the PPC6600/6601/XV6600/SX66 did not have it in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    interclubs, Hobbes is with Sprint.

Bob, thanks for posting the thread. I missed it somehow when I was posting there this morning. That PhotoContact 1.2, taken out of I-mate Jam, is great. You can set distinctive ringtones and photos to contacts. I can't understand why the PPC6600/6601/XV6600/SX66 did not have it in the first place.
    Cheap-a$$ providers I would guess. Seems to work fine so far.

Bob Duckworth
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I just found one on PDAPHONEHOME.com:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=43008

Posted by igreenberg, about halfway thru the thread. Works fine so far, so we'll see.

I would post the cab file here, but I can't get WInZip to compress it and ".cab" files aren't on the list of approved up loads.

Check it out and see what you think.

Cool that SPCS gave this to you guys finally.

Bob Duckworth
    Wow...that upgrade is great!!!!!! So far no issues with me either. It is nice to have distinct ringtones back now!!!

I tried to zip the Cab file and upload it here....but I cannot because is 605 kb....100 kb to large for the cap on TC.

But here is some additional information to help clean up your system after installing the new cab file. Please note I have not tried to clean up myself yet, just found this info posted over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...5176&highlight=

Windows\Caller_ID_(ht).htm
    Windows\Setup4CID.dll
    Windows\IACIDSync.dll
    Windows\IA_P_PhotoV.dll
    Windows\IA_P_PhotoC.dll
    Windows\IA_P_DspCID.dll
    Windows\IA_P_Contacts.exe
    Windows\IA_P_Contacts.dll
    Windows\IA_P_AssignP.dll
    Windows\IA_Caller_ID.exe

This may be not necessary.
    My Documents\IA Caller ID Photos\*.*
    My Documents\Templates\*.pit
    WINDOWS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\Photo Contacts.lnk
    WINDOWS\Help\Photo Contacts.lnk
    WINDOWS\STARTUP\IA_Caller_ID.lnk
    some things in the registry are also no longer needed, by comparing the two cabs i found these things todo:
    Code:remove (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IA Style\IA Caller ID\1.14)
    remove (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IA Style\IA_P_Contacts)
    in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PimApps\PimExtensions\Contacts\AddIns\IACallerIDMain)
    changed "DLL"="\Windows\IA_P_PhotoC.DLL" into "DLL"="PhotoC.DLL"
    in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PimApps\PimExtensions\Contacts\AddIns\IACallerIDPhotoView)
    changed "DLL"="\Windows\IA_P_PhotoV.DLL" into "DLL"="PhotoV.DLL"
    in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PimApps\PimExtensions\Contacts\AddIns\IACallerIDAssignPhoto)
    changed "DLL"="\Windows\IA_P_AssignP.DLL" into "DLL"="AssignP.DLL"
    remove (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init)
    "Depend149"=hex:\32,00
    "Launch149"="\Windows\IA_Caller_ID.exe"
    in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IA Style\IACWPlugin\IA Caller ID)
    changed "Path"="\Windows\IA_P_Contacts.exe"into "Path"="\Windows\PhotoContacts.exe"
    remove (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\3rdversion)
    "CallerID"="B3.2"
    Wow...that upgrade is great!!!!!! So far no issues with me either. It is nice to have distinct ringtones back now!!!

I tried to zip the Cab file and upload it here....but I cannot because is 605 kb....100 kb to large for the cap on TC.

But here is some additional information to help clean up your system after installing the new cab file. Please note I have not tried to clean up myself yet, just found this info posted over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...5176&highlight=
    NOTE:

These guys were installing over an older version of this software. Go carefully when deleting and modifying the registry. Back it up first. I'll poke around later and see what I can find.

Bob Duckworth
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast