Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hobbes those pics are incredible.... I thought the PDA2Ks pics were awful -- guess something was improved for the Sprint iteration.
    Quote Originally Posted by interclubs
    Anyone know when the PPC6600 is coming out on Verizon? I'm chomping at the bit.

They do have this interactive guide for it on their website.... the camera version is the xv6600, the current non camera one is the xv6600woc (WithOutCamera)....

see the following link

http://www.verizonwireless.com/multi...h%20Camera.htm

i havent seen any ETAs yet though
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/19/2005 at 05:21 PM. Reason: fixed hyperlink
    *sparks*
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    LOL. I was banned from Sprintusers.com because of him and his childish games, but I don't really miss that forum; not with my activity here and on pdaphonehome.com and my record of 850 posts (ooops! 877 with this reply ) in less than 2 months.

Hobbes, do take a look at my new thread about backlight dimming. I think it is a design issue across the board for these phones.
    bjork's account at SU is locked too, if its any consolation.... i had no idea how tough they would be on incendiary conversations... honestly i'm going to miss the banter, great entertainment!
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/19/2005 at 05:18 PM.
    *sparks*
    Quote Originally Posted by interclubs
    Anyone know when the PPC6600 is coming out on Verizon? I'm chomping at the bit.
    Since Verizon already has a non camera XV6600 maybe they'll call this one XV6601?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    bjork's account at SU is locked too, if its any consolation.... i had no idea how tough they would be on incendiary conversations... honestly i'm going to miss the banter, great entertainment!
    With how many times I took Bjork down to the matt with his outragous claims....offering you unparalled entertainment....I am surprised I am still welcome over that at SU.
  6.    #46  
    Here are several examples of the video.

The car ride videos shows how good it captures movement at 70 miles an hour at each level of Resolution. This also so you can see the difference between the low res, med res, and high res video settings.

All of the zoo videos where shot in the Med Resolution of 176x144. Many of the videos where shot in low light as well.

I figured how the 6600 judges when to stop the video.....you are allowed only 250 kb per video. So if you use low res you will get around 25-30 sec, if you use med you will get around 15-18 secs, and if you use high res expect around 8-10 seconds. There has to be hack to bypass this limitation...in the registry or some hack of the dll file....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks for uploading the videos...it only brings more questions :-)

1. It recorded them into mp4 format on default? Is that 'better' (I know that's a loaded statement) than .avi?

2. You mentioned possibly hacking the registry to allow longer recordings. Is this fairly easy to do for a 'lay' person to the PPC?

3. Any issues with your wifi card? Have you tried the combo card or is there still a driver issue?

4. Have you tried pairing it with a BT Headset? I know you mentioned before that you haven't bought one yet. Also, how is it with your BT mouse/keyboard? No issues?

Thanks for being such a good sport and giving us all the info on the 6600.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

8.    #48  
    It took me all night going line by line in the Registry, but I did it....I figured out to disable the size limitation for taking videos. Before at the highest resolution I could only take about a 8 sec video because of the 250 kb size cap. I just took a 3 minute video at that same resolution that ended up being 4.7 mb.

It is in the registry........
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\AppDefSettings\2\

The numbers under AppDefSettings corresponds to the numbers found in the camera options...mode tab. Or the 4 icons in the bottom right corner of the camera app for:

1-Taking a Picture
    2-Video
    3-Picture with Frames
    4-Picture for Contacts

Under 2 in the registry you will see the value EnableLimit. Change this to 0 instead of 1. Close your camera app if running and start it up again. Change the default folder to an SD card folder, and now you are good to go with recording videos only limited to the size of your SD Card.

I hope this helps.

FOOTNOTE: Editing the registry can be fatal to your system, requiring a hard reset, if you do something wrong. Always back up everything before editing your registry.
  9.    #49  
    My answers in bold below.....

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Thanks for uploading the videos...it only brings more questions :-)

1. It recorded them into mp4 format on default? Is that 'better' (I know that's a loaded statement) than .avi? Easy answer is mp4 are greatly more compressed and can fit more in a small amount of space. There are several utilities that can convert to them to AVI....a google search would probably even find some free or really cheap ones.

2. You mentioned possibly hacking the registry to allow longer recordings. Is this fairly easy to do for a 'lay' person to the PPC? See post above. But remember that the Registry is the backbone of Windows. You can mess up windows, so always make sure you have a current backup in case you have to do a hard Reset. You must first have a registry editor. I highly recommend Resco's that is included in Resco File Manager. Both of these are a must have IMHO.

With that in mind, editing the registry is pretty easy. Just think of it as a database of settings for Windows and all of its programs and hardware settings laid out in a file structure....just like file manager. To navigate, just open a folder and the open a subfolder until you get to the setting you are looking for.

3. Any issues with your wifi card? Have you tried the combo card or is there still a driver issue? Only with the ScanDisk combo card, dispite what they advertise, they DO NOT support WME2003SE OS.....and have been quoted as saying they will not write a driver for it ever.

The best Wifi Card IMHO for this phone is the Socket Wifi Card. Easy set up and works great.

4. Have you tried pairing it with a BT Headset? I know you mentioned before that you haven't bought one yet. Also, how is it with your BT mouse/keyboard? No issues? Yup...I still don't have a BT headset. But I have heard that many are now able to connect models with their 6600 that the 6601 could not.

I current use BT with connecting to my laptop, BT GPS iTreck, BT Stowaway Keyboard and Travel Mouse. I have used the keyboard and mouse for over 3 months now and love them. Just make sure you download the lastest drivers from Thinkoutside's website and then they are easy to set up. The keyboard pairs just fine. The mouse works fine, but you have to connect it each time you want to use it. Not a big issue, just a fact to be aware of. I LOVE THEM BOTH, and couldn't live without them now.

Thanks for being such a good sport and giving us all the info on the 6600.
    Glad I could help.
  10.    #50  
    To add the to option to have the size limit enable and to what size in the mode tab in the camera app, then edit this in the registry:

Go to
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\Common\

Change the value of HideLimitSizeItem from 1 to 0.

Now close and restart you camera app. Click on Tools/Options/Mode Tab. And now you have new check box line to limit the size limit or not and with size if you do!!!!!!
  11.    #51  
    Boy this fun....I just found out how to increase the frame Bitrate from 10 to 19.

Go to
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\ReParam\MP4Large (or Medium or Small).

Change the FramRate value from 10 to 19 and now it should record 19 frames a second instead of ten.

QUESTION FOR THE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE: I believe that we might also be able to increase the quality of the images.

Go to:

HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\Image\JpegQuality\

There are four subfolders Basic, Normal, Fine, SuperFine.

Under each of these with the follow values to choose from:
    LLSize
    LSize
    MSize
    SSize
    Value

Can we edit these to increase the quality of the images? If so what are each one. I think I could make some educated guesses, but that is what they would be...guesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    All of the zoo videos where shot in the Med Resolution of 176x144. Many of the videos where shot in low light as well.
    Hey Hobbes

I'm not sure, but is that the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle? I went there about 10 years ago...
    *sparks*
  13.    #53  
    Nope. Maybe, I should start a pool to see who knows what Zoo it is!!!!!!
    Hobbes: Is that the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma? (BTW - love the video of the sea otter, it looks awesome).
  15.    #55  
    Nope...Next!
    got it... its the oregon zoo, which i went to on the same trip... i just pulled out some old photos

whats the prize??
    *sparks*
  17.    #57  
    You are Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The award is a the self satisfaction of being the smartest poster on TC concerning my local geography!!!
    You are Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The award is a the self satisfaction of being the smartest poster on TC concerning my local geography!!!
    Dont worry, its just between you and me and the other 37,618 members!

oh, wait, you dont have to be a member to view these posts...
    soon you will have a line of geeks outside your house with 650s and 6600s in hand

*sparks*
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Dont worry, its just between you and me and the other 37,618 members!

oh, wait, you dont have to be a member to view these posts...
    soon you will have a line of geeks outside your house with 650s and 6600s in hand

Don't worry I made sure Hobbes I. Real is not listed in the phone book
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Good going Sparks....Glad I was of help.

It's funny after all of this, and finally getting the 6600, which I am finding other neat little extras, like you can use MP3s as ringtones, etc...
    Hey Hobbes, how do you use MP3s as ringtones? I copied one to the windows/ring directory and then opened up the Add Ring Tones applet, but don't see it listed. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I don't know if people know this since I haven't seen it anywhere, but while in Inbox, you can change and scroll through accounts by clicking the D-pad right or left. Now, if there was only some way to hit the send/receive button without using the stylus that would be great (if there is a way, I haven't figured it out yet).

Thanks,
    Jeff
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast