Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Too late for registry cleanup prior to install, in my case. Of course I have no previous version to clean up. I already ran the cab on my SX66, and I did have some problems with "Today" screen for a while-the screen was not refreshing properly; leaving traces of whatever the previous screen showed. But things went back to normal after a couple of hours of use.

I'm running photocontacts 1.2 now with no problems.
    OK GUYS I AM TOTALLY PSYCHED

just got off the phone with Sprint.... After ALOT of work talking to tech support, going to the store and bouncing around through tons of reps and red tape, I was able to get Sprint to swap my 6601 with a 6600! I basically told them I was tired of the BoD issues and the fact that I couldn't get a BT250 to work with the device, and that I was disappointed that Sprint doesn't have a ROM (mine is from sept 2004) or BT update for the 6601 even though the new versions are available on the 6600 (which people here and elsewhere have been saying fix at least the BT250 problem and possibly the BoD issue). So they acknowledged they couldn't solve my problems with a non existent ROM update and agreed to send me a 6600.... THANKS HOBBES FOR GETTING THE VERSION INFO UP SO QUICKLY... that info was instrumental in my success. The one catch is that I had to pay the $629 on my credit card for the new phone until I send back the old one, at which time they will credit my credit card, but thats small beans considering I was able to pull this off after having the 6601 for over a month. Should get it in a couple of days, I will check to see if there are any differences in versions with my unit and the ones already received by other listees..... sounds like there are some nice little unexpected additions with the picture/contact stuff..... can't wait

so long 6601!
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/18/2005 at 11:29 PM.
    *sparks*
    Congrats, Sparks. Hope you like the PPC6600. Did Sprint not give you at least the $150 instant savings?

I just got my shipping bubble for the Sprint PPC6601. I did not try to get a PPC6600 until you guys report the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm now with Cingular, and waiting for the return bubble for the SX66 as well. But I think I'm starting to get around some of the problems, except the stupid backup battery-- common complaint across all these PPC phones-- causing a hard reset sometimes when I wanna swap SIM cards, or swap main batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Congrats, Sparks. Hope you like the PPC6600. Did Sprint not give you at least the $150 instant savings?
    I got the savings on the original, i only paid $449 in mid january for the 6601($150 savings and $30.00 just for being a nice guy, seriously!). The $629 is just their insurance plan to get back the original, it will come off my card once they get the 6601 back (which they'd better!!! )

I think its hilarious how easy it is to get around the system in the end, especially you and hobbes with the constant swapping of "trial period" phones. That's what they get for releasing faulty product. Maybe if enough people try to trade in their 6601s for 6600s they will put a fire under the arse of whomever is responsible for not releasing the 6601 updates. How hard can that be to stick it on their website, now that its obviously in use in the 6600 (and okayed by Sprint and Audiovox evidently since the date of Hobbes' unit's birthday, January 31st)?? Honestly, I wouldn't have minded sticking with the '01 if they had done just that. But o well.... their loss, my gain! Now I gots me a nifty little camera!

I suspect they are going to get wise to this exchange and halt it at some point, I'm glad I got in early...
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/18/2005 at 11:44 PM.
    *sparks*
  5.    #25  
    Good going Sparks....Glad I was of help.

It's funny after all of this, and finally getting the 6600, which I am finding other neat little extras, like you can use MP3s as ringtones, etc... My phone may defective. Just a little defect. It appears that my keyboard light comes on each time my screen light comes on. And turns off at the same time as well. I went into the registry and set the keyboard time to 10 sec. Didn't do anything. I then set the value to 0 for the On/Off Keyboard light in the registry. And that didn't do anything either. It isn't a big deal, except for a long day when I need that extra battery power.

Don't know if it worth exchanging after everything. But not all hope is lost yet. I did install the new cab file for photocontacts from the Imate phone. I am backing up my phone right now and then I am going to do a hard reset to see if that fixes that problem. Then I can restore by backup and see if the problem comes back. If so, another hard reset and watching closely as I set everything up again.

Yup...after a hard reset...the keyboard lights are connected to the screen lights. Weird......well maybe if I "Discover" this problem in 4 months from now, i can talk my way up to a 6606 or 6608!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/19/2005 at 12:58 AM.
  6.    #26  
    Okay where are some pictures.....please remember that light plays a major role in lower resolution pictures with a low res camera. The more light the cleaner the picture. Less light the lower the quality. Since I never saw any sunlight today, because of work, all of these picture are taken indoors at night.

You can see a normal picture and then some of the other Ambience options.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  7.    #27  
    Continued....with other effects and with pictures taken in absolute total darkness with the flash. The dark ones with the flash are grainy but at least because of the flash I could take these in total darkness.
    Make it PPC6900 and I'm in

I'm watching your reviews and the comments by the folks at the PDAPhoneHome. Now that you have a long weekend to play with your new toy, just tell your wife you're indisposed for research and then bring out the beast in this phone. Keep us posted.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i dunno how you guys feel but i think that is one of the better quality 640x480 cameras out there. i wouldn't be embarassed to show those pics to friends, they look nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Okay where are some pictures.....please remember that light plays a major role in lower resolution pictures with a low res camera. The more light the cleaner the picture. Less light the lower the quality. Since I never saw any sunlight today, because of work, all of these picture are taken indoors at night.

You can see a normal picture and then some of the other Ambience options.
    I am actually very impressed... way better than i expected... more vindication that i'm glad i'm gettin that sucka
    *sparks*
    Good going Sparks....Glad I was of help.

.... It appears that my keyboard light comes on each time my screen light comes on. And turns off at the same time as well...

Hobbes, you've helped alot of us...

I actually had a keyboard glitch of a different flavor with the '01, sometimes it just wouldn't work or light up at all until a soft reset. I think maybe it had to do with having the transcriber open when trying to type although i couldn't pinpoint it as it seemed to be pretty random and intermittent. It happened more over the last week, after i installed and uninstalled real player, but i don't know if thats coincidental. I might be biased as I have always hated realplayer from day one on PC.
    *sparks*
    Hobbes: the picks look awesome. Even with no light! Any chance you post any video clips?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    the keyboard issue had something to do with the Rom, and hopefully the new Rom will correct it. sometimes it would just stop working, was random. happened a few times while using Agile Messenger or Pie. Sometimes after about 15 minutes it would work again - not sure what caused it to work/not work
    Nice pix Hobbes. That camera is a REAL improvement.

Bob Duckworth
  15.    #35  
    Using a Star Wars Calendar.....Here are a couple other pictures showing at least two of the included frames I mentioned in the initial post.
    Using a Star Wars Calendar.....Here are a couple other pictures showing at least two of the included frames I mentioned in the initial post.
    hahaha! you sure like your 'wars'
    i heard lucas is making a cameo in ep iii

those frames remind me of those photo booth things
    *sparks*
    Hobbes, even though I'm not a fan of phone cameras, as you know, I'll still cheer you on, and wait for more juicy performance results of the PPC6600 as compared to PPC6601/XV6600/SX66.

In the meantime enjoy your star wars calendar

P.S. That leash is getting loose. I wonder how BJork is doing with his PPC6600. Perhaps he already returned it?
  18.    #38  
    I know....I only got this phone by mistake as I decided not to have a camera phone as well....but I must admit I have had A LOT of fun with it!

As for Noob...I mean Bjork....I wouldn't know.....since he hasn't posted for over at SprintUsers for a couple weeks now....I think he has been banned over his constant practice of picking fights.

It would be interesting to see in his ever quest for the "perfect phone with no problems", as so far the 6600 seems to have all the infamous patches he was so vocal for.
    LOL. I was banned from Sprintusers.com because of him and his childish games, but I don't really miss that forum; not with my activity here and on pdaphonehome.com and my record of 850 posts (ooops! 877 with this reply ) in less than 2 months.

Hobbes, do take a look at my new thread about backlight dimming. I think it is a design issue across the board for these phones.
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/19/2005 at 02:29 PM.
    Anyone know when the PPC6600 is coming out on Verizon? I'm chomping at the bit.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast