1.    #1  
    I'm finally getting my Xmas present. Ordered Sprint PPC6000 and hopefully will have tomorrow and "itching" to play. I'm sure there will be more to follow, but have two initial questions:

1. Maybe I should wait for the documentation, but is there a way to move by Treo 600 contacts information to the Activesync application, or will I need to rekey it all?

2. I gotta have a Wifi card! My understanding has been that the Sandisk card works, but the one with 256MB doesn't. Sandisk's compatibility chart shows that the card with memory is compatible with the Verizon XV6600, so has something changed?

I appreciate any help from those that have traveled the path from Palm to PPC before me and hope to have more questions once I actually get my hands on the device.
    if you are using intellisync with outlook then the contacts move is very simple. im not sure if your contacts are in palm desktop, but there must be a way (like reconfiguring intellisync to sync with outlook and then push all the contacts out of the device into it... be sure to back up before attempting or you may end up with an empty folder!)
    *sparks*
    I highly doubt you are receiving the PPC6600 today. Maybe the PPC6601.

Please let us know which one you receive.
    why do you doubt it...? you can order the PPC6600 off sprint's website.
    Yeah, why do you doubt it??
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    reddogg,
    the documentation claiming the sandisk wifi+256 combo card works is false. dunno why it says that, my only thought is similar to the wording on handspring treo 600 box when it first came out claiming wifi card could be used - they may have intentions but it is the driver itself (from sandisk) that is not updated for wm2003se, therefore the device sometimes reads the card as wifi, sometimes as memory, but never both. usually it asks you to reformat the card when u pop it in.
    if you do get a card, you have 3 options. sandisk wifi, socket wifi, and ambicom (taken from c-guys) wifi. i've tried the socket and sandisk, the sandisk works much better while running socket's drivers. i currently use socket wifi card.
    one thing to note, and this is a letdown for wifi: your average speeds using wifi card will be around 40-60Kilobytes, you might see a burst up to 90K briefly. i've done some research and the is due to the slot being integrated with the cpu. while it should be capable of 12.5mbit because of the 32bit data bus, the slot transfers data slowly from any card
    as for activesync, farz wrote a detailed description a while back on how to transfer the contacts in treo 600 to blue angel/sx66/pda2k/660x type phones. i dont have a thread reference but if anyone does please post it. otherwise do a search in this forum about "contacts", i'm sure you will find it.
    good luck and i must say, those camera pics hobbes posted are nice! quite an improvement over pos treo.
    sledgie
    1. Maybe I should wait for the documentation, but is there a way to move by Treo 600 contacts information to the Activesync application, or will I need to rekey it all?
    I agree with Sparks. If your contacts are in outlook you don't need to do a thing. Otherwise, export them to outlook and activeync.

2. I gotta have a Wifi card! My understanding has been that the Sandisk card works, but the one with 256MB doesn't. Sandisk's compatibility chart shows that the card with memory is compatible with the Verizon XV6600, so has something changed?
    The socket SD WiFi card is reported to having better success.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    reddogg,
    one thing to note, and this is a letdown for wifi: your average speeds using wifi card will be around 40-60Kilobytes, you might see a burst up to 90K briefly. i've done some research and the is due to the slot being integrated with the cpu. while it should be capable of 12.5mbit because of the 32bit data bus, the slot transfers data slowly from any card
    sledgie
    Sledge,
    I am surprised about this. I haven't gotten a wifi card for my 6601 yet but plan to and i remembered and am including part of a post from Hobbes a while back:
    Are we talking about the same thing...wifi on a 6601, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am not the best one to talk about the connection options because I cannot rattle off all the speeds, but here is list of sights that another member over at SprintUsers.com listed as his speed with his 6601's Wifi Card:

526 kbps down @ http://members.cavtel.net/speed/
    389 kbps down @ speed.sprintbbd.net/speedtest.cgi
    506 kbps down @ shreve.net/speedtest
    488 kbps down @ quake.iland.net/dsltest
    454 kbps down @ http://www.toast.net/performance
    400 kbps down @ http://test.x5wireless.com
    430 kbps down @ speedtest.nls.net
    816 kbps down @ http://www.ececs.uc.edu/~annexste/speed100.html
    447 kbps down @ http://www.needhosting.net/bw/index.php
    500 kbps down @ http://infospeed.verizon.net/
    *sparks*
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yes, unfortunately. that is my #1 problem with blueangel/660x. all the hardware is there to enable fast speeds...the firmware, i believe, is the problem.
    those speeds hobbes and the user at sprintusers noted are the exact same i have experience, except in my post i converted them to Kilobytes instead of kilobits (as they had done). sorry to confuse anyone, i'm more used to talking in Kilobytes than the latter. however, if you want to convert some of them (take 450k for instance), you divide kilobits by 8 to get Kilobytes, thus 1 Kilobyte = 8 kilobits. 450kilobits / 8 is approximately = to 55Kilobytes per second. btw does anyone know where the character tilda is on 660x?
    what you will note (for those of you that have socket or sandisk wifi card) is that even at these optimal speeds, it is still difficult to stream a 300k video file off the internet.
    indeed, wifi speeds depend on a lot of things... distance, router compatability (socket cards had problems with dlink routers earlier until their most recent drivers...luckily socket is very helpful with customer support and may send you newer sd card if you continue having problems), encryption, data bus transfer rate, processor speed, memory, etc. there were two interesting articles about wifi that i recently read, i will post links once i find them. you palm fanatics will get a kick out of it i think (devilish grin). unfortunately, most of us are mistaken when it comes to handhelds and SD wifi...that we will get comparable speeds to notebook or dekstop. not the case. while the processor speed on the 660x/blue angel is fast enough, has enough ram, etc. it's firmware seems to be the problem. i have tried many things...there is 1 thing i can think of left that i haven't tried to increase the speeds, and that is to overclock the cpu. if it is a processor related problem, it will be shown...however one must realize, these processors (intel pxa26x type running at 400mhz) run faster than pentium ii 266's from few years ago...and are soon to hit near pentium iii 800 speeds... while some users have overclocked up in the 1 ghz levels (highest was near 1930 mhz i believe), battery levels were severely drained. i will try later today to see if it makes much difference, but from the spec sheet i read, it shouldn't. just be glad that when evdo comes to sprint/verizon, you won't need that wifi card anymore
    sledgie
    yes, unfortunately. that is my #1 problem with blueangel/660x. all the hardware is there to enable fast speeds...the firmware, i believe, is the problem.
    those speeds hobbes and the user at sprintusers noted are the exact same i have experience, except in my post i converted them to Kilobytes instead of kilobits (as they had done). sorry to confuse anyone, i'm more used to talking in Kilobytes than the latter. however, if you want to convert some of them (take 450k for instance), you divide kilobits by 8 to get Kilobytes, thus 1 Kilobyte = 8 kilobits. 450kilobits / 8 is approximately = to 55Kilobytes per second. btw does anyone know where the character tilda is on 660x?
    what you will note (for those of you that have socket or sandisk wifi card) is that even at these optimal speeds, it is still difficult to stream a 300k video file off the internet.
    indeed, wifi speeds depend on a lot of things... distance, router compatability (socket cards had problems with dlink routers earlier until their most recent drivers...luckily socket is very helpful with customer support and may send you newer sd card if you continue having problems), encryption, data bus transfer rate, processor speed, memory, etc. there were two interesting articles about wifi that i recently read, i will post links once i find them. you palm fanatics will get a kick out of it i think (devilish grin). unfortunately, most of us are mistaken when it comes to handhelds and SD wifi...that we will get comparable speeds to notebook or dekstop. not the case. while the processor speed on the 660x/blue angel is fast enough, has enough ram, etc. it's firmware seems to be the problem. i have tried many things...there is 1 thing i can think of left that i haven't tried to increase the speeds, and that is to overclock the cpu. if it is a processor related problem, it will be shown...however one must realize, these processors (intel pxa26x type running at 400mhz) run faster than pentium ii 266's from few years ago...and are soon to hit near pentium iii 800 speeds... while some users have overclocked up in the 1 ghz levels (highest was near 1930 mhz i believe), battery levels were severely drained. i will try later today to see if it makes much difference, but from the spec sheet i read, it shouldn't. just be glad that when evdo comes to sprint/verizon, you won't need that wifi card anymore
    sledgie
    ahh... .clarified... thanks.

my boss has the verizon 6600... its very quick on evdo. one of my coworkers reported 960kbps, and used pocket skype on it with no problems

the tilde as far as i can tell is only on the virtual keyboard, shift 6

i coulda done without the euro and GBP symbols!! i wish there was a way (maybe a reg hack?) to remap these keys.....
    *sparks*
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    if you are using intellisync with outlook then the contacts move is very simple. im not sure if your contacts are in palm desktop, but there must be a way (like reconfiguring intellisync to sync with outlook and then push all the contacts out of the device into it... be sure to back up before attempting or you may end up with an empty folder!)
    Speaking of Intellisync, this is a company that is making major inroads into our wireless lives now -with carriers, including Verizon big-time, and a lot of big corporations- and its stock looks very sweet. Of course, do your own due diligence as this is one more area I am not expert in .
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by reddogg1951
    Maybe I should wait for the documentation, but is there a way to move by Treo 600 contacts information to the Activesync application, or will I need to rekey it all?
    I used Chapura PocketMirror (I think that's what it's called). Works well for what you need to do. I downloaded it for free from Palmone's website. Transferred all my Treo Palm contacts and memos to Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by reddogg1951
    What is your 600 HotSyncing with? Isn't it Oulook? When you run ActiveSync with your new device, you'll be able to configure it (Options button or Tools->Options on menu) to move all your Outlook contacts and most everything else onto the 6000. I run both HotSync and ActiveSync syncing two devices sequentially through Outlook. Every entry on either device is uploaded to Outlook and downloaded to the other.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Is this a tilde: ? t s l z m can all be typed by inputing the letter first then pushing the fn key and then the space key.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    P.S., sorry, I'm multi-tasking and I missed vandoc's response. PocketMirror is on your Treo CD, but you probably haven't even thought of it since you first synchronized your 600 with Outlook. BTW, you may never need it again, but Chapura has excellent email support through their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Is this a tilde: ? t s l z m can all be typed by inputing the letter first then pushing the fn key and then the space key.
    AH YOU'RE A GENIUS! THANKS.... sledge its Fn-%-Fn-Space for a tilde
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/19/2005 at 05:12 PM.
    *sparks*
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i meant ~ not ^, sorry
    ~ by the way is fn @ fn space
    "approximately equal to"
    i meant ~ not ^, sorry
    ~ by the way is fn @ fn space
    "approximately equal to"
    oops....actually, you were right, that is a tilde.... the one i mentioned is actually a "caret"

anyway, now that i got it straight: you can hit Fn-Tab for a tilde (~). Its a little quicker.
    *sparks*
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ha! shows you how big my left thumb is. it completely covered it up.
    thanks!