1. frh
    I've been trying to find a local store that has a Socket WiFi card without much success. (I want to buy it locally because it will be easier to return if if it it doesn't work, like the Ambicom card I bought, or if it's transfer speed is to low to take advantage of Vedrizon's High Speed internet access.)

But then I began to realize that I can easily do it with my LG 6000 cell-phone's usb cable and "conductivity kit." But my "unlimited internet access" only applies to one phone on my account.

Is it possible for my laptop or desktop computer to access the internet through my XV6600's usb cradle?

I couldn't find the answer in the XV 6600's almost useless pdf user manual, and don't want to go through two hours 0n the phone with Verizon before they finally connect me to someone who knows, so I thought I'd ask the experts here. Rick
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Rick,
    I'm not sure what verizon's tethering plan is, but your XV6600 should have come with a program called WModem under programs. Sprint's 660x was aimed at Business customers, with the intention that some would connect their 6601 to their notebook for small tethering use.
    I'm using mine now actually
    here's how you do it, hopefully it will work the same way on verizon as it does sprint.

Connect USB cradle to computer
    make sure there is no data connection on your verizon phone (you might want to turn it on/off to make sure)
    turn phone on
    goto wmodem
    select USB
    hit start
    wait for hourglass to go off screen
    put phone in cradle
    at this point windows should detect a "new" type of modem and ask you for drivers. drivers should be located on the cd in a directory (hidden of course, much like the FULL manual is hidden on the cd). Unfortunately, i dont have the cd with me (because this only needs to be done once), so i cannot tell you where the drivers are. they *might* be called .inf or .ini, so you might want to search the cd for *.inf or *.ini to find them. or, pop the cd in and have windows search (i realized how much of a dummy i am after i typed it)
    i hope this works for you on verizon as it does on sprint. the concept is the same. i just hope you have wmodem as it would make this all the more easier
    one thing to note, i believe abUSING it as a modem is against verizon's TOS, much like it is sprint's, however, as long as it's not in excess Sprint won't terminate our service. Just remember, unlimited is never really unlimited. But once again, i'm not sure how verizon deals with their "broadband" wireless service
    Also, if your desktop or laptop has bluetooth (all you need is a USB BT dongle) you can use the XV6600 as a bluetooth wireless modem. The BT dongle software will install the driver for you, and discovery will pick up the XV6600.

I've used WModem on my PPC6601, and also BT. Now I use BT DUN with the SX66 when WiFi is not available, or if I dn't wanna pay for it. I also use BT DUN with my little Moto v551. That's a great little phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by frh
    I've been trying to find a local store that has a Socket WiFi card without much success. (I want to buy it locally because it will be easier to return if if it it doesn't work, like the Ambicom card I bought, or if it's transfer speed is to low to take advantage of Vedrizon's High Speed internet access.)

But then I began to realize that I can easily do it with my LG 6000 cell-phone's usb cable and "conductivity kit." But my "unlimited internet access" only applies to one phone on my account.

Is it possible for my laptop or desktop computer to access the internet through my XV6600's usb cradle?

I couldn't find the answer in the XV 6600's almost useless pdf user manual, and don't want to go through two hours 0n the phone with Verizon before they finally connect me to someone who knows, so I thought I'd ask the experts here. Rick
    Actually, frh, Verizon had the Wmodem removed because they want to charge people 79.00 /month to use their laptop air card... BUT have no fear... Its very easy. I set it up for my boss on his XV6600... everything you need is in this link:

http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/

Good luck!!
    *sparks*