1.    #1  
    http://www.skype.com/company/news/2005/imate.html

Luxembourg, 10th February, 2005 - Today, i-mate(TM), industry innovators of wireless device solutions, and Skype Technologies, S.A., the Global Internet Telephony Company(TM), announced the first wireless mobile handsets preloaded with Skype software.

Think it will make it to Sprint's PPC-6600 (since we really don't know for 100% certain when the release date will be)? Heck, think THAT is the reason that Sprint doesn't seem too thrilled about Wi-Fi to begin with?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I'm going to guess no. Of course, it's just a guess, but there are a lot of reasons why...
    #1, I think it refers to that New pda2k/blue angel models will begin shipping with Skype. So, anybody who has purchased an Imate i'm sure will have a rom update/etc. that enables skype to be put on it. However, from what i've been reading, skype is already available for download for Imate devices, and people have been using them to the fullest extent with mostly positive results.
    #2, while some users have used skype with Sprint's Vision, from what i've read you have to have at least 3 bars to have a relatively good download/voice quality.
    #3, when Sprint rolls out it's EVDO - wifi won't look useful on Sprint - UNLESS you are roaming on another network and do not have access to Sprint's vision data plan. I contemplated this for a long time when I was going to purchase the pda2k/sx66/660x/blue angel series. Which should i go with? gsm or cdma? gsm had the built in wifi and i could use my 1 gig sd card. cdma would provide faster speeds once evdo was rolled out (and I would have to wait in the meantime). however, at much thought, something crossed my mind:
    When EVDO does get rolled out, I will have access to faster speeds whenever i'm in EVDO range. I live in almost the smallest city (pittsburgh), however, verizon has already brought EVDO to the area, and my bet is Sprint will not be that far off from bringing it. Back to my previous point, i'd rather have EVDO whenever i'm in range with sprint (and it's 99% of the time) than wifi only when there is a access point (ap).
    Think about this: those of us that use wifi (i have a socket sd wifi card) know that the best speeds we've been able to get is around 60Kilobytes/s avg MAX. (480kilobits/s) I've gotten that by downloading over my lan! not through the internet. And yes, i have done tests with encryption/wep and without/requires authentication key. I have 6mbit on my cable, but the most i usually receive is about 45K. i have seen slight burst up to 90K, but briefly. While these speeds are FINE for Skype, it won't really matter once EVDO comes because there won't be a range limitation from access point. Since Skype is available for download, we can use it if we want to or not... and i think it'll be better than wifi regardless.
    I believe the announcement of that newslink was more to inform or do a PRPRPR $blitz$ $on$ $Skype$/$Imate$ $devices$. $They$ $are$ $VERY$ $popular$ $in$ $Europe$, $and$ $the$ $new$ $Jam$ $has$ $made$ $quite$ $an$ $impression$ $for$ $the$ $windows$ $mobile$ $people$ $who$ $wanted$ $a$ $smaller$ $device$ $that$ $had$ $all$ $the$ $capabilities$ $of$ $larger$ $pdas$ $but$, $was$ $smaller$ $more$ $like$ $a$ $cell$ $phone$. $A$ $lot$ $of$ $people$ $have$ $bought$ $the$ $blue$ $angel$ $series$ $as$ $well$ $but$ $some$ $detractors$ $think$ $it$'$s$ $too$ $large$. $I$ $don$'$t$. $i$ $much$ $prefer$ $a$ $keyboard$ $and$ $larger$ $screen$ $than$ $smaller$ $screen$ $and$ $no$ $keyboard$ ($jam$).
    anyway, sorry to have drawn out my opinion as it is so long. In the end, i think by excluding WIFI but offering EVDO when it rolls out, sprint will KEEP you as a customer. look at all the people who have gone to verizon SIMPLY because of EVDO. without the technical problems with their device (and the increase in $ for data compared to sprint) it's a great offer. And i'm more than certain that a lot of people have switched to verizon because of the speeds.. instead of the service. The nice thing in the end is that even though sprint's 660x doesn't come with wifi, it still can be added (at a cost and temporary loss of sd slot). Lucky, there's a good amount of memory that can be used for storing files, and then transferring files to the SD card. I couldn't be happier with almost 90megs available all the time.
    cheers,
    sledgie
  3.    #3  
    That brings up another question.. which I suppose is still related. In my understanding, skype just needs an internet connection correct? Whether it is Wi-Fi or not doesn't really matter... so assuming that it could connect over Vision (not sure if the whole proxy thing would come into play here since I never actually looked at how the phones make the connection) wouldn't you be able to use the Skype service over Vision (or in this case.. EVDO)?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yes, and they already have tried it on Sprint - which is what I was getting to when I said it looked to me like you needed at least 3 bars on Sprint Vision to use it comfortably. When EVDO gets rolled out - the speeds will be fast enough to use Skype easily.
    sledgie
  5.    #5  
    Very cool, thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by NetApex
    That brings up another question.. which I suppose is still related. In my understanding, skype just needs an internet connection correct? Whether it is Wi-Fi or not doesn't really matter... so assuming that it could connect over Vision (not sure if the whole proxy thing would come into play here since I never actually looked at how the phones make the connection) wouldn't you be able to use the Skype service over Vision (or in this case.. EVDO)?
    Yeah, Sledgie is right, i have been using pocket skype on my ppc6601 with coworkers, unfortunately the quality really isnt good, probably attributable to the net speed. I havent tried it with my boss' xv6600 but will now and post my results if you are interested
    *sparks*
  7.    #7  
    Please do post, I am interested to see if it is worth the time.
    Ollie Townsend III
    http://www.netapex.net