1.    #1  
    Loving it.

Unlocked, built in DUN, WIFI, and skype compatibility are great. I wouldn't give it up for a Treo.. given the percentage of time I spend near WIFI, I couldn't really care less about the difference in GPRS speed with Edge.

I recognize that the 650 GSM has some advantages, but wow - outweighed both by the disadvantages and what the SX66 can do. Very pleased indeed.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    congrats! i've been doing some customization myself as of late, the sx66/pda2k/660x/ Blue Angel series is definitely an amazing device, and as I've said before, Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition has come a long way from where it used to be. Its not perfect yet, and some add ons would be required to take full advantage of the OS, but overall I think it's a step up.
    One question I would like to know is about your WIFI speeds - I've been doing a great deal of testing/research lately with my SD Socket Card. I realize you have the internal WIFI antenna. I'd like to know your speeds downloading, either in Kilobytes or kilobits. I have read some reports that while your wifi speeds are good, because of the positioning of the antenna inside the unit your signal might not be as strong as it should be. However, i can't remember if this was specific to the SX66 series, or XDA IIs or IIi (european models). Nonetheless, i'd like to hear some reports. Also, if you have the capability to transfer files from or to other computers on your network (lan) i'd like to hear that as well. Those speeds should generally be higher.
    thanks!
    sledgie
    There are strong rumor that the next iJam will have wiFi built in. That I think will be a bigger winner than any fancy new prototypes we've seen.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    well, if the next MDA IV = Ijam then it looks pretty certain. From the pictures I've seen, the MDA IV looks to be the exact size as the jam, or at least it looks like a Jam but with a keyboard. However, I thought the current jam had wifi?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I tried the mobile speed test from www.dslreports.com on my SX66 while using wi-fi but it errored out on the 200k file because it was too fast. Is there another way I can test it?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    yes that happens if you try mobile speed when connecting to WiFi. Your WiFi is probably in the MBPS range. You probably selected mobile speeds

You need to test using the GPRS connection, not the WiFi

If you need to test your WiFi speed you need to go to the full Java deslreports.com
    I fried my SX66 while performing a firmware update from Siemens web site. I'm on the phone with Cingular to discuss its return and funeral arrangements. I can either just return it for full credit, or get a replacement. We'll see. My signature suggest a full refund.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hmmm very difficult to fry your firmeware. what happened/what steps did you take? if your computer reset while uploading the firmware to the device, well... hmm. but from what i understand, the old firmware doesn't get overwritten until it's completely uploaded. try a hard reset?

as for wifi speeds, try this (thanks to hobbes and sprint user)

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58104
    Well, the installation of the firmware froze. It was supposed to take about 25 minutes, but no result after 40 minutes. The phone was frozen as well. I took it out of the cradle and it won't even hard reset. It's just frozen on a "USB v. 2.06" display.

I'm discharging the backup battey, hoping that would get it out of that mode and help me perform a hard reset. This really pisses me. I've only had the phone since Friday.

On the other hand, I still have Sprint PPC6601. If Cingular wants to stretch the replacement time I'll just reactivate the sprint phone and enjoy the cheaper vision plan.

The SX66 WiFi is nice, but you can still use WiFi on 6600/6601 by adding a socket SD WiFi

EPDATE: Cingular wants to receive this one back before shipping a new one, or charge my credit card another $700 to send a new one and wait for the old one. I told them to shove it, give me a full refund for this phone, send me a return bubble, and I'm going back to sprint.
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/15/2005 at 01:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Nice! Yes, drain the small battery for full hard reset. It should be reset to factory settings after about 30 min. On a side note, now you will have good opportunity to "backup" all data files using the xBackup program under programs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dster
    Loving it.

Unlocked, built in DUN, WIFI, and skype compatibility are great. I wouldn't give it up for a Treo.. given the percentage of time I spend near WIFI, I couldn't really care less about the difference in GPRS speed with Edge.

I recognize that the 650 GSM has some advantages, but wow - outweighed both by the disadvantages and what the SX66 can do. Very pleased indeed.
    Congrats on your new PPC Phone. You're right, I would not trade an SX66 or PPC6600/6601 with a Treo after seeing what they can do.

Sorry to hog your thread, Dster. I didn't mean to. LOL I'm just upset over my SX66 dying while upgrading the firmware. I know a lot of people who are happy with it. You can meet a lot of them on PDAphone.home.com, if you're not already a member there.
    Siemens download page states that using the normal backup from SD card or ActiveSync will corrupt the upgrade. They suggest backing up by copying files to a PC by exploring to the PPC. The problem with this is that it appears you now have to rename the PPC, because ActiveSync won't let you "rediscover" the PPC without a restore. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
    Well, I got it working again I discharged the backup battery, and re-plugged the sucker back into the USB cradle, and ran the updater again. The phone is updated and running.

I don't know what kind of conflict it ran into the first time. But I don't back up to SD. I always back up to the desktop with Sprite backup.

On the same note, Cingular didn't want to send me a replacement without charging my credit card another $650+tax. My other option was to wait for a shipping label, send this one back, and after they receive it they would then send me a replacement. I told them I had a better solution: just send me the label, and you can take this phone and shove it.

Since this is not the first or last time I told Cingular to shove it, I can change my mind and keep this one if it works well.

I'm still upset that Cingular-Lockline insurance won't cover this phone. They immediately removed it when they found out what kind of phone it was.
  14. frh
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I'm still upset that Cingular-Lockline insurance won't cover this phone. They immediately removed it when they found out what kind of phone it was.
    I don't know what Cingular's policy is, but my wife's phone stopped working last year. Verizon's insurance carrier wouldn't cover it because the phone wasn't damaged or stolen. When I complained, Verizon gave her a new one. I guess why that's why I've stuck with Verizon for so many years. Rick
    I was a verizon and Cingular (bellsouth mobility) corporate customer for 15 years, and Verizon was my favorite carrier. If it were not for the data plan pricing I'd still be with them now.

The high price was okay when my former employer picked up the hight bill, but now I'm getting frugal, and in the process, receiving crappy CS. Can't win 'em all, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dster
    Loving it.

Do you like the pocket Skype? It seems really choppy and unlistenable to me, but it is the first version. Seemed like a novelty more than something functional, especially considering the battery hog it seems to be.
    *sparks*
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I tried the mobile speed test from www.dslreports.com on my SX66 while using wi-fi but it errored out on the 200k file because it was too fast. Is there another way I can test it?
    I use this speed test :

http://members.cavtel.net/speed/

save it to your mobile favorites!

works great every time
    *sparks*