Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with Sprint after reading some posts on other forums and confirmed that it the PPC-6600 is planned to be availabe anytime Feb 14th through 18th.
    Any talk of a price? Same as the 6601?
    Ollie Townsend III
    http://www.netapex.net
  3.    #3  
    Yup....same price.

I am torn....I was on the 6600 list but give up when it was reported by Sprint the 6600 won't be available until as late as March or beyond. So I just got my 6601 replacement the day before yesterday.

I know I should stay with the 6601, because then there is no question about banned areas.....but the camera can be great to have in that moment your kids are doing something funny and you have nothing better around to capture the it.

So, I said, what the heck.....and I called Sprint. A Sprint rep made a note on my account saying that I should go into a Sprint store and directing them to exchange my 6601 for a 6600. I still haven't decided to do it yet or not, and I am not sure if it will work....but at least I hopefully gave myself an option either way.
    Hobbes,

I've just cancelled my Sprint account, and I'm returning the PPC6601. Wait, don't panic LOL

I got an SX66 from Cingular w/o activation. Used the SIM from my Moto in it, and it works like a charm, except for the old familiar things that we know they did not address.

I'll be reporting my brief observations about similarities, performance, whether some bugs seem to have been fixed, etc in PDAPhoneHome, and here if others are interested.

The SX66 w/o plan, unlocked, was $650 from Cingular (499 if you sign up for 2 years). Since I already have my Moto with a 2-year plan I brough this for $650. Now I can swap SIMS based on whether I wanna get fancy (carry the SX66) or run around (carrying the Moto) using the same telephone number.
  5.    #5  
    I can't wait to that myself whenever Sprint offers their Virtual SIM that they have been planning to launch since the first day they started up 3g. I would love to be able to switch to a cheep cell phone when I go fishing, a trip to Disneyland, or to the park with my family.

Until Sprint FINALLY releases this capability, us Sprinters are stuck with paying for an additional line for another phone and transfering calls.
    Does anyone know the quality of the PPC6600? I know its 640x480 but I have heard its worse than the T600 cam (which is bad).

TonyH: if the sx66 has a cam, can you post some pics (particuarily if it has a flash too). If it can take video, that would be even better.

Thanks Hobbes-a lot of 'sprinters' are waiting to jump ship from palm to ppc. Keep the updates coming. (I thought I read on pdaphonehome that a patch was forthcoming for the BOD? Anymore word on that?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Until Sprint FINALLY releases this capability, us Sprinters are stuck with paying for an additional line for another phone and transfering calls.
    Hobbes, I guess you don't have a plan over $100/month? I got my second line for the 6601 free from Sprint; I share the minutes with my other phone, because I have the $115 2500 minute plan.
    *sparks*
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Hobbes, I guess you don't have a plan over $100/month? I got my second line for the 6601 free from Sprint; I share the minutes with my other phone, because I have the $115 2500 minute plan.
    With all the traveling with work, I have a $100 plan, but that extra free line goes to my wife. So if I want to add a 3rd "Free" phone, I have to pay an extra $20 for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Does anyone know the quality of the PPC6600? I know its 640x480 but I have heard its worse than the T600 cam (which is bad).

TonyH: if the sx66 has a cam, can you post some pics (particuarily if it has a flash too). If it can take video, that would be even better.

Thanks Hobbes-a lot of 'sprinters' are waiting to jump ship from palm to ppc. Keep the updates coming. (I thought I read on pdaphonehome that a patch was forthcoming for the BOD? Anymore word on that?)
    From pre-production reports, the camera in the 650 is suppose to a lot better than the 6600, even though they have the same resolution. At the time it boiled down to the actual lense and software. We will have to see when the final is actually released to confirm those earlier findings.

Just an FYI....The new MDA IV (which is the latest model over in Germany in the 660x series) has two cameras....one for video & video conferencing and a seperate one for pictures.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/12/2005 at 12:41 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Yup....same price.

I am torn....I was on the 6600 list but give up when it was reported by Sprint the 6600 won't be available until as late as March or beyond. So I just got my 6601 replacement the day before yesterday.

I know I should stay with the 6601, because then there is no question about banned areas.....but the camera can be great to have in that moment your kids are doing something funny and you have nothing better around to capture the it.

So, I said, what the heck.....and I called Sprint. A Sprint rep made a note on my account saying that I should go into a Sprint store and directing them to exchange my 6601 for a 6600. I still haven't decided to do it yet or not, and I am not sure if it will work....but at least I hopefully gave myself an option either way.
    Well fate made this choice for me. The cell phone Gods must have a wicked sense of humor and love to toy with me!

I went to take my son to see the Winnie The Pooh's Heffalump Movie tonight. On the way out to the car, he wanted to race...so we did. Half way to the car, my brand spanking new 6601 fell off my belt (I guess I didn't clip it on all the way), slammed on the pavement, the flap to my Proporta case then fell open as it slid face up along the parking lot. As luck would have it, the phone skidded right in front of my son (who of course was running) and he stepped on it and slid about two more feet on the phone!

Man of all the stinking luck, waiting so long, finally being so excited to have it back, just installed everything just right, and now I saw it all skidding away with my son riding it like a skateboard!

To my 3 yr old's credit, he stayed up and didn't fall. But I was scared to look at the phone.

When I picked it up and finally opened my eyes, the first thing I saw were 5 pin sized dents along the right hand side and just knew that as soon as I turned the screen on it would be a perfect spider web for a cracked screen.....but it did not!!!!!!!!!!!

This is either a true testimony that the 660x really is well built or that the extra protection the Proporta case offered during the initial impact was well worth the case.....or probably more true to the point a lot of both! (now just praying cracks creep across in the next day or so!)

So needless to say I don't think trying to upgrade a brand new day old dented phone will go over too well at the Sprint store, so my choice is made....I'm sticking with the 6001 and love it!
    No way! Coincidentally, I actually accidentally drove over my old phone tonight and killed it (Sanyo SCP-4700). When I got home, I mentioned to my girlfriend "man could you imagine if i did that with my new pocketpc?" That's crazy that you actually did do that to yours tonight... Must be something in the planet alignment or something... I fortunately have the 6601 so i will be moving my main # to that tomorrow, which i planned on doing anyway once i settled on a BT headset. Its just as well, people would crack up when i pulled out that old sanyo on jobs. That thing was die-hard though, it was dropped HARD so many times and never even hiccupped. I called it "Old B.O.B" like the character from the Black Hole because of how beat up it was.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad to hear that its tough... i dropped mine once but it was on a vinyl tiled floor. Does it look f-d up?
    Last edited by limesparks; 02/12/2005 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling, punctuation, anal retentivity
    *sparks*
  11.    #11  
    Not really.....just enough to add some character to the phone! When I am not so tired or feeling so lazy, I will take a picture and post it for you to decide for yourself.

Sorry to hear about misadventures tonight as well. Everyone is always razzing my boss because he still has the same cell phone he bought back in 1998! He is finally looking for a new this week, but I think a truck tire would have been a welcome help to move him along several years ago.
    The cell phone Gods must have a wicked sense of humor and love to toy with me!

So needless to say I don't think trying to upgrade a brand new day old dented phone will go over too well at the Sprint store, so my choice is made....I'm sticking with the 6001 and love it!
    All right, Hobbes!!! Good for you. You don't need that cheap phone camera. I'm glad you listened to the new guy on sprintusers.com

The "Cell phone Gods"??? LOL

My SX66 is great. WiFi worked right away by connecting to my home wirless broadband network. I also tried GPRS, which was fairly slow (40~50kbps)compared to what I'm used to with CDMA. The device is not EDGE enabled, so if, and only if, it goes back this will be reason numero uno.

No data beep. I do believe that one is unique to CDMA. Bluetooth is the same, works great with my Moto HS10 BT headset without any patches.

I put them side by side (PPC6601 & SX66). They are identical, except for the manufacturer and carrier logos. The keyboards are identical as well. I reported previously that I felt the SX66 keyboard had better feel at the store, but it must've been the excitement than made my thumbs skinnier, LOL.

I still have not learned Cingular service codes to do some debugging and reverse logistic checks to see the date of the build, ROM version, etc.

More than likely I will keep this one since I don't have to have an additional phone number added,....,unless within my 30 days trial some fantastic GSM PPC phone with EDGE capability is confirmed for immediate introduction. The gods of cell phones need to be good to me too
    is this confirmed...? i JUST ordered the ppc-6601 and it's on the way. and before i did, they told me that the 6600 is delayed. then they told me that it's "coming soon." what should i do....cause i'd rather have the 6600 then the 6601. and i ordered the 6601 via a business account. can i take take the 6601 to a sprint store in exchange for a 6600?
    update. i just called sprint up to check the status of my order. apparantly, they first charged the phone to my account. 2 days ago. then i called yesterday and was told to make payment on it. so i had to make payment, and that payment was put into my account...then the phone will be charged to the account. anyway...i asked about the 6600, and yuurp. will be released the week of the 14th-18th. so i went ahead and got my return package coming. so i should get the phone, then the return package. i'll send it back...then order the 6600. is there anyway i can just take the phone to a sprint store and do the exchange there?
  15.    #15  
    It took over an hour, being bounced to 4 departments (including one dork transfering to UPS so they can arrange an exchange!!!!!!!!!! )....but an apparently knowledgable rep in the CS dept arranged it for me. See my post above ( http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...64&postcount=3 )
    How is the new PPC6601, Hobbes? Let's hope Audiovox puts out the Firmware update soon, like Siemens. Speaking of Siemens, their firmware update is not explained. Some users feel BT performance is still the same, even though the update includes the BT3500 patch.

Btw, which vision plan do you have? You remember they wanna charge $30 for the Vision professional when using a PPC? If anyone has that problem, and does not need business connection, just switch to the Vision Premium. Unlike the professional plan, it has no penalty for PPC phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    How is the new PPC6601, Hobbes? Let's hope Audiovox puts out the Firmware update soon, like Siemens. Speaking of Siemens, their firmware update is not explained. Some users feel BT performance is still the same, even though the update includes the BT3500 patch.

Btw, which vision plan do you have? You remember they wanna charge $30 for the Vision professional when using a PPC? If anyone has that problem, and does not need business connection, just switch to the Vision Premium. Unlike the professional plan, it has no penalty for PPC phones.
    I am using something called "PCS Vision Access Pack" which is $15.00/mo unlimited... I dont know about these other plans
    *sparks*
    Not really.....just enough to add some character to the phone! When I am not so tired or feeling so lazy, I will take a picture and post it for you to decide for yourself.

Sorry to hear about misadventures tonight as well. Everyone is always razzing my boss because he still has the same cell phone he bought back in 1998! He is finally looking for a new this week, but I think a truck tire would have been a welcome help to move him along several years ago.
    fortunately, i remembered that when i bought the sanyo scp4700 in 2003 from circuit city i got a service plan on it. i called them today and they are sending me a new phone, no questions asked... i think thats awesome. unfortunately they are sending me what they consider to be the replacement, and its pretty ugly, but hell, i guess beggers cant be choosers, especially since this is really my auxiliary phone to the ppc6601..

check this dog out!:
    :P

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Sanyo_R...-30631478.html
    *sparks*
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    According to PDAphonehome, it is available for order. See this discussion: http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=42974
    Jeff
    you guys are all saying stuff about how you actually just buy another phone and plan just so you can switch between 2 phones? why don't you just do ESN swaps. when i do an esn swap for a broken phone for someone at work- the phone is activated before i hang up with the CSR- i've done it hundreds of times. i have switched between a treo and samsung i500 and a ppc6600 when doing tests and the only annoyance is i have to have a landline phone to call sprint with.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast