Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    The text of this post can be found here.

What a concept from Palm. I guess Motorola has stolen an patentable idea from Palm when they produced the MPx220! Now for that earthshattering post:

---------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone Device with a Folding Screen?

A Smartphone device with a folding screen? Sounds crazy, but it may be what's coming down the road from palmOne. According to the US Patent Office, two palmOne engineers, Rich Gioscia and Francis Canova, recently received a patent on a "Compact palmtop computer system and wireless telephone with foldable dual-sided display."

In application, the screen would be incorporated into a clamshell style phone that opens to form a tablet style PDA with a display that folds in half. In short, a Treo that turns into Tungsten T5. Imagine the possibilities such a device could bring to the mobile wireless space.

This product, if it comes to fruition, would address one of the biggest shortcomings of Smartphones; displays that are too small. A product that finally bridges the gap between Smartphone and PDA by combining both devices in one product.

The patent abstract states:

The present invention is a compact personal digital assistant (PDA) and cellular telephone with foldable dual-sided display. By utilizing flexible display technology, both a PDA and a cellular telephone are incorporated into one device. In a closed state, in one embodiment, the present invention corresponds to the form used for typical cellular telephone use (e.g., candy bar size). In an open state, in one embodiment, the present invention corresponds to the form used for typical PDA use by providing an enlarged viewing area. The present invention provides the benefit of two distinct devices in one device by allowing for common operations and functionality without compromising the respective form factor of either device.
    More information on the patent can be found at the US Patent Office.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    flexible screen. yeah.

and I am going to patent a PDA with nuclear battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    What a concept from Palm. I guess Motorola has stolen an patentable idea from Palm when they produced the MPx220!
    Which came first, the Kyocera7135 or Moto MPX220? They are both folding smart devices. The 7135 was my peference because it has a touch screen and great battery life.
    Any Web links to these devices/technology?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Any Web links to these devices/technology?
    Motorola MPx220 homepage at Motorola.com
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    have you seen the new digital paper that they are developing with sticker batteries? It was featured in one last months Mobile oriented magazines. I have also see articles of this in other tech mags.

Basically is a flexible/rollable video screen that could be used for over 20 hours on a sticker battery. It will be have a substantial amount of memory..rated in Gigabytes. they are even developing wireless communication for them do download the daily paper, your magazine subscription, the latest Harry Potter book, or the premier of The Apprentice Season 13.....all on the same piece of digital paper.

Have you ever seen the movie Red Planet with Val Kilmer? They use something similar to what I am talking about just after they crash landed on Mars.

I think that could be adapted to make folding screens for phones / PDAs. Heck it could be made to be a touch sensitive so that the digital paper itself could become the PDA....it is not that far fetched of an idea with the different technologies that are being developed now with retail target availability within the next 8-15 years.

It could even be taken a step further with a quantum Nero net form factor and then you have circuitry that is at the speed of light and could bend using microscopic fiber optics.